So. Out of curiousity. Since I'm feeling kinda insecure about my ability to play the guitar. (Just don't feel like I'm getting anywhere. Unsure what to do to get better.) Do any of you guys remember how good you were at 1 year -1 year and a half? I'm at about a year and four months, and I don't feel I've progressed as much as I should.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
After 1 year I thought I was a beast.... I was playing Nirvana all day. Needless to say today I look back and realise I was utter ****e.
I've been playing for more less as long as you have (consistent time, not the time I had a guitar), with no lessons and I'm pretty proud of myself. I'm not expecting to be John Petrucci or anything, but I can play a mean rythym guitar, and I could do some leads, but nothing improvised. You just have to find something you like and learn it, and don't think because you don't get it right away that you won't get it, you have to really give it your all. Last week I learned 6 new songs, most of which were Tenacious D and then the other 2 were Metallica, but I'm happy. Just listen to your iPod or whatever, find something that gets you pumped, and learn it.
Play because you like it, not so you can compare yourself to other people.

If you're going to compare yourself to someone, compare yourself to someone whom you think has mastered the instrument - Steve Vai, for example.

-SD
It's not really rhythm stuff that is the problem, it's Lead. I can't solo worth ****. And I don't expect to be able to improvise solos, but I want to be able to at least learn some relatively difficult ones from songs I like.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
comparing yourself to other people can be a son of a bitch to your motivation.

i still do it way too much, though.