how does john frusciante get his tone on RHCP's mothers milk? Specifically songs like Knock Me Down. Is he using a semi-hollowbody or something? or is it just a certain amp setting?
Arbor A410 Bass
Dinosaur 20 Watt Bass Amp
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Squier Bullet

Excuse me sir, have you been thinking tonight?
the way i get a milky tone is just kill the tone all the way on the bridge and usually on a clean setting... also im not sure if this what your looking for

edit: neck not bridge
"You've got to trust your instinct
And let go of regret
You've got to bet on yourself now star
'Cause that's your best bet" - 311
For the heavier songs (Knock Me Down, Good time Boys etc) he uses an oldish Gibsson Black Beauty. From my knowledge he also used a Boss OD-1 possibly (really not sure on this).
he used a boss ds-1 not od-1

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

And also a JCM 800 I think, not the two Silver Jubilees and the Major together, just a JCM 800.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
^Why would he use an amp commonly used for thrash in a funk-rock band? I don't get it!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
^Why would he use an amp commonly used for thrash in a funk-rock band? I don't get it!

What? The JCM 800 is a rock based amp. It kinda sounds like the old Plexi amps but with more gain.

Thrash bands use them sometimes with a boost and/or heavy EQing. That doesn't mean it's Thrash exclusive though.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by oneblackened

Wow.
^I sound like an idiot don't I. I think hatebreeder explained it pretty well though, I get it now!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.