Alright so I was just curious about something. The RIAA is suing people using P2P file sharing networks to download music. Now, I use Ruckus which as far as I know is completely legal in every way shape and form.

My question isn't about any body's opinion about online file sharing but about what exactly the RIAA can sue you for. Can they sue you for downloading the music? or do you have to be sharing files for them to sue you...or both. Because someone told me they don't share files but they download them so that way they can't get sued. I'm not sure how true that is.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Because when I was younger I would wrap dollar bills around my wang while masturbating to get that extra dirty feeling.

Even though I quit doing it, it still turns me on when I see money.

Http://magnumman.dmusic.com
So far the RIAA has mainly targeted people that place their libraries on line for dl. But they have gone after downloaders as well.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I heard the you only break copyright if you download. Allowing people to upload isn't a problem.... but I don't know if that's an urban myth
[
i dont understand who gives the RIAA any authority, are they a government organization? or just a bunch of sue happy assholes?
Quote by Skuzzmo
I heard the you only break copyright if you download. Allowing people to upload isn't a problem.... but I don't know if that's an urban myth

I think it's the other way around
Quote by nt1440
i dont understand who gives the RIAA any authority, are they a government organization? or just a bunch of sue happy assholes?

The latter. They are a trade foundation/group who represent the record companies of America. That said, I'm not sure which record companies they represent.

edit: http://www.riaa.com/
Last edited by Mazzakazza at Mar 21, 2008,
So i guess it's safe to say that everyone else is slightly confused as a clear cut answer to this as well? haha
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Because when I was younger I would wrap dollar bills around my wang while masturbating to get that extra dirty feeling.

Quote by nt1440

In America we have copyright laws, not sure the specifics of other countries but I'm sure they're similar. They aren't a government organization, but anyone can sue anyone. I believe a claim can be filed in the civil courts if it's valued at over 10 dollars, or some other very small amount.
Quote by Herr Jones
In America we have copyright laws, not sure the specifics of other countries but I'm sure they're similar. They aren't a government organization, but anyone can sue anyone. I believe a claim can be filed in the civil courts if it's valued at over 10 dollars, or some other very small amount.

does anyone else find it sad that organizations such as the RIAA have authority only because they can afford to sue so many people, for OUTRAGEOUS sums of money?

its almost like power through fear
it is illegal to offer upload and download sites to users. It's also illegal to download media from those websites. However you cant be traced when you upload files and view or listen to them
Quote by Deadmen
Wait for them by your door, and when they come.
Jump out with your wiener just hanging there and yell "Surprise!"
They'll never talk to you again, also make shure to helicoptor it a bit.

Memeber #665 of the Ibanez RG owners of the world club
Last edited by joshjebl at Mar 21, 2008,
Is there a RIAA in England? Obviously it wouldn't be the RIAA but is there like an equivalent?
at this point there is so many people doing it that you are almost more likely to be struck by lightning then be taken to court.
They'd sue you for copyright infringement.

but they'll go after the uploaders first as without them, the downloaders would have nothing to download.

Same with drugs, you go after the dealers as your main priority then sort out the users.

Quote by Amazing Pudding
Seeding (uploading) is what they sue for
Leeching (downloading) is in the gray area of legality.

no grey area, they just have bigger fish to fry.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
If you're getting your music for free without the consent of the artist, it's illegal. That's all there is to it. And typically, you have to have some kind of traceable personal information on the P2P program for them to find you and file a lawsuit against you. As long as you give out no personal information to the program you should be in the clear, but I still wouldn't use that program at all if your unsure. Just buyy our fucking music.

EDIT:
Quote by 12Jim34
Is there a RIAA in England? Obviously it wouldn't be the RIAA but is there like an equivalent?

The BPI (British Phonographic Industry) is the British equivalent of the RIAA.

Last edited by SimpleMan008 at Mar 21, 2008,
Quote by mrwaffles
Downloading P2P = Sharing.

Also, if it seems illegal, it probably is. Just buy your f*cking music.

Well spoken. There are exceptions to this rule, such as if buying albums really isn't financially viable (plenty of people will back this up, look at Israel or Down Under), but use common sense.

Quote by nt1440
does anyone else find it sad that organizations such as the RIAA have authority only because they can afford to sue so many people, for OUTRAGEOUS sums of money?

its almost like power through fear

If you stole a batch of albums I created, I'd sue you. I'd sue you for every fucking penny you've got, because at the end of the day, I would see no moral problem; you'd be a thief. By downloading, especially downloading songs that are from small artists, you are causing people who need money to lose money. I'm not talking about record execs here, I'm talking about the artists who will lose their contracts because they aren't shifting enough albums.
I think Trading Standards or whatever their calling themselves these days control it in the UK, their part of the government though so I think you'd me more likely to get fined as opposed to sued over here. Unless the RIAA sue you in an American court, which I'd assume they can do, although I'm not sure
Quote by Amazing Pudding
Seeding (uploading) is what they sue for
Leeching (downloading) is in the gray area of legality.

you have that flipped unless you mean the people that download the media onto the site for uploading
Quote by Deadmen
Wait for them by your door, and when they come.
Jump out with your wiener just hanging there and yell "Surprise!"
They'll never talk to you again, also make shure to helicoptor it a bit.

Memeber #665 of the Ibanez RG owners of the world club
Last edited by joshjebl at Mar 21, 2008,
Even copying a cd to your computer/ipod/whatever is considered illegal is it not? (I'm certain that to mp3 players is)....so I think the definitive answer would be "they can sue you for possessing anything which you do not own the copyright, or rights to use".

Yes very definitive.

Yes.
Quote by webbtje
Well spoken. There are exceptions to this rule, such as if buying albums really isn't financially viable (plenty of people will back this up, look at Israel or Down Under), but use common sense.

If you stole a batch of albums I created, I'd sue you. I'd sue you for every fucking penny you've got, because at the end of the day, I would see no moral problem; you'd be a thief. By downloading, especially downloading songs that are from small artists, you are causing people who need money to lose money. I'm not talking about record execs here, I'm talking about the artists who will lose their contracts because they aren't shifting enough albums.

my comment wasnt supporting P2P sharing, ive just noticed people somehow thinks organizations with no actual authority are often feared and assumed to have authority, simply because they have teams of lawyers

i download, but then i go buy the album, the downloading is just a faster way for me to get my music to my ipod, i cant go out and buy the album whenever i feel like it
... Well, if RIAA want's to sue you, they'll just do it. They don't need evidence to file a lawsuit. And don't forget, they'll win.

██ ██
██ ██
██ ██

Quote by Big Spender
Even copying a cd to your computer/ipod/whatever is considered illegal is it not? (I'm certain that to mp3 players is)....so I think the definitive answer would be "they can sue you for possessing anything which you do not own the copyright, or rights to use".

Yes very definitive.

Yes.

They can't sue you for owning something you don't own the copyright to because that destroys the entire concept of supply and demand, nobody would be able to purchase anything. And if uploading to your iPod were illegal the Apple Corporation would be shut down. So sorry my friend but you got that all mixed up.

come and get me RIAA lol

i dont really download things that i dont intend to actually buy a hard copy of

except a john mayer album, sry johnny, i havent been able to pick it up yet
Quote by GuitarJunkie
Now, I use Ruckus which as far as I know is completely legal in every way shape and form.

Those kind of sites aren't exactly legal either
Quote by joshjebl
you have that flipped unless you mean the people that download the media onto the site for uploading
You have your terms flipped. Uploading is taking a file from your computer and putting it on the web. Downloading is taking something from the internet onto your computer.
NEW!!! Peavey 6505 (XXX Cab too )
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Ibanez Destroyer with EMG-81 and 85
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 112
Roland Cube 20X
Quote by SimpleMan008
They can't sue you for owning something you don't own the copyright to because that destroys the entire concept of supply and demand, nobody would be able to purchase anything. And if uploading to your iPod were illegal the Apple Corporation would be shut down. So sorry my friend but you got that all mixed up.

one of their lawyers stated a while back that even the act of copying a cd to ur computer or mp3 player was illegal, a while after he was heavily criticized he followed up saying he "mispoke"
Quote by loxer
... Well, if RIAA want's to sue you, they'll just do it. They don't need evidence to file a lawsuit. And don't forget, they'll win.

The RIAA have sued people who don't even own a computer. They're just trying to scare everyone. However, it usually backfires as most people will tend to boycott a company that will sue dead people and college students while leaving the rich kids who download 100GBs of music alone.
Quote by Shredder XXX
how about the way your entire country generalizes a culture by the actions of a few, citing any Americans idea of a middle eastern person.
Quote by ViperScale
at this point there is so many people doing it that you are almost more likely to be struck by lightning then be taken to court.

Not true. 50 kids my school got sued last semester one of whom I'm good friends with and now he's down 5 grand
Quote by Jack Off Jill

Quote by alexlemon2
Those kind of sites aren't exactly legal either

Have you read the legal disclaimer on the site?
Quote by Jack Off Jill

Quote by GuitarJunkie
Have you read the legal disclaimer on the site?

link?

and just because a site proclaims itself legal doesnt make it so
Quote by nt1440
link?

and just because a site proclaims itself legal doesnt make it so

The fact that hundreds of universities across the nation are advocating that the students use is good enough for me.

http://www.ruckusnetwork.com/

EDIT: Thjs is from the webpage of Brown University
How is Ruckus legal?

In an effort to prevent piracy of the copyrighted content distributed by its system, and in an effort to enforce subscription rules, Ruckus employs Microsoft's Digital Rights Management (DRM). Ruckus content is encrypted with DRM making it playable only when it has a valid license, and only Ruckus users can acquire a valid license to play the content by logging into the Ruckus service. Licensed content can be played using any media player that supports DRM (Ruckus, Windows Media Player, WinAmp, DRM supported portable players, etc.). Once a music license has been acquired it will last 30 days before expiring and you must then re-acquire the license. A movie license will last five days before it needs to be renewed. Renewing a license does not mean you have to re-download the content.
Quote by Jack Off Jill

Last edited by GuitarJunkie at Mar 21, 2008,
Quote by nt1440
seems like a college only kind of program

Yea, sorry I think I didn't mention that I was in college. You need a .edu email address to sign up for it (I think).
Quote by Jack Off Jill