47 40%
< 4 Years
29 25%
< 8 Years
6 5%
> 8 Years (Please Specify)
3 3%
Voters: 117.
Well, Title explains it all, How long were you playing before you'd consider to be called intermediate.

Hell, I still don't think I'm intermediate and I've played guitar for 19 months about 2 and a half hours a day. Yourselves?
Quote by Sonicxlover
Obviously we should play the UG theme.

ULTIMATE GUITAR! YOO GEE!?
I've been playing for 4 years, and I would say that I'm at the bottom end of Intermediate. I'm Grade 7, so I would say that Grades 5 - 8 would be the bottom end of intermediate; and people with > 10 years of experience would be advanced.
Quote by anarchy_skater
Well, Title explains it all, How long were you playing before you'd consider to be called intermediate.

Hell, I still don't think I'm intermediate and I've played guitar for 19 months about 2 and a half hours a day. Yourselves?

ive been playing for 30 months bout 2-3 hours a day. i'm just now beginning to be intermediate. I dont know maybe young people pick it up faster. i am all self taught though
Quote by Deadmen
Wait for them by your door, and when they come.
Jump out with your wiener just hanging there and yell "Surprise!"
They'll never talk to you again, also make shure to helicoptor it a bit.

Memeber #665 of the Ibanez RG owners of the world club
ive been playing for a little more than 2 years, id just call myself low end indermediate
I have no idea, and it's completely irrelevant as well.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
i've been playing for 5 years and i consider myself intermediate. I'm preety good at improvising. It can take any amount of time te get to the intermediate range, my friend has been playing four years and he is playing at an expert level, his band recorded a studio demo already.
it doesn't matter how long you've been playing, it matters how well you can play, and i don't mean speed, i mean tone, as in you don't get buzzing notes, you hit the right notes, there aren't gaps making it sound like you're playing staccato
Quote by duncang
I have no idea, and it's completely irrelevant as well.

+1

everyones idea of intermediate is completely different, and I've found that other people always think that you are much better than you think you are.
Quote by viper_mike
it doesn't matter how long you've been playing, it matters how well you can play, and i don't mean speed, i mean tone, as in you don't get buzzing notes, you hit the right notes, there aren't gaps making it sound like you're playing staccato

+ a billion

If you play crappy green day songs for 20 years, you're still not intermediate. But someone with a natural talent who works hard and learns fast could be considered intermediate after 2-3 years.
Quote by J_J

stupid ppl (they're like slinkies, not good for much, but they make you smile when pushed down the stairs)

Quote by Meths

Holy non-gender specific pronoun Batman!

Quote by freakypop

you dont rly play guitar if you dont shred
Quote by Zofar
+1

everyones idea of intermediate is completely different, and I've found that other people always think that you are much better than you think you are.

Exactly. There is no level that you get to and you suddenly can call yourself intermediate. Time is totally irrelevant. Some people are naturally talented, so it takes them much less time to get at a level someone who had no musical ability would have to work for years to get to.

I'm sorry, I'm sick of seeing these topics.
ive been playing for like, 16 months and im high end beginner
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
How long you play is completely irrelevant.
It depends on the time you practice and what you practice.
(So you could still be a noob at guitar after 4 years playing)
Gear:
Ibanez RG 350 DX Bk
Squier Bullet Strat
Les Paul Copy
Fender FM 15G
Fender Roc Pro 1000
Digitech RP 50
Arion Distortion
Behringer Hellbabe Wah
People have different minds and chose to go different ways with guitar. There are a lot of people who don't learn as fast as others and some people who learn way faster then everyone else.

Also it depends if you're committed.

So basically it could be 6 months or 8 years. Just go at your own speed, if you try to rush you will end up having to reprogram your mind to get rid of bad habits you ignore.
It really depends on how much natural talent you have, how often you practice, what you practice and how you practice. That's a lot of variables to say it's going to take X amount of time to reach this level.
Ermm i've played since Xmas 2006, can play songs like:

Are you dead yet?
Tie my rope
Kissing the shadows (up to second solo)
Scream aim fire (album)
The poison (album)
Most trivium songs

Meh
I've been playing for two and a half years, but I'm advanced. It doesn't matter how long you've been playing, but how much you practice, and what genres you play.

EDIT: For reference, my best song is In the Presence of Enemies by Dream Theater.
Dickless.
Last edited by MetalMilitia212 at Mar 21, 2008,
my brothers been playing 6 months he can play a ton of yngwie malmsteen and other hard stuff

ive been playing a month a can beginner-intermediate songs such as sweet child of mine
^ I smell BS

I've been playing almost a year and my best song is sultans of swing by dire straits.
im on the lower end of intermediate (least thats what i think) and ive been playing for 4 or 5 years...
I voted for 6 months (although it may be a little longer)

it’s all down to efficiency of practice.

It’s very easy to improve past beginner up to intermediate. If you practice all the basic techniques properly you can get there in say under a year. It’s much harder to improve past this point because all the genres start to individualise them selves e.g.

To get advanced at metal you need to be practicing palm muted down strokes, alternate and tremolo, 3 nps patters, sweeping etc etc at 200 bpm or something ridiculous

where as advanced at jazz is all about hitting the right notes, and chords in the scale when you improv and compose to get distinct feel of a jazz song, (ok that wasnt too descriptive but I dont know what makes a good jazz guitarist)

You get my point

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I have a better question...WHO CARES?? If you're a real guitarist, you shouldn't give a damn about what level you're at, but just focus on learning new things, and trying out different styles of music. I don't think there's any such thing as a level, that's all on someone's point of view....let's say guy a can play the solo to beast and the harlot perfectly...and guy b can play it too, but he's constantly missing and forgetting notes, and let's say they've both been playing for 10 years, but guy b can play The Trooper and guy a sucks like guy b did at beast and the harlot. and they've both been practicing for the same amount of time on both songs....and you know what, this is real..........my point is, it all depends on you and your dedication, not statistics.
Originally Posted by: Colgate Total
"Trim and lube your nut, and your g string should fit in just fine with no friction".
I would consider myself intermediate and I have been playing guitar for a year and a half. By Intermediate I can play Scarified by Paul Gilbert and Wham by Stevie Ray Vaughn. Most non guitar players think I am advanced but I would be the first to say I don't know enof yet to be advance maby in a couple years. But how long you play guitar does not mesure your skill a person who practices ten hours a day for one year is better then someone who practices an hour a day for three years. So time is realy irelevant.
I'd say 8 years. How is 2 years intermediate? alot ppl think their like the **** once they own a guitar. I hate playing in front of ppl. I've been playing for like around 2 years, but I don't have alot of time to play. Some days I'll play all day though. I'd say if you play very often consistently (+2 hours a day) for 4 years you'd be pretty dam good.
it all depends on what you are playing and the effort of playing perfectly the songs...

For a lot of time, i just played for singing blink at my home, later when first punkrock group came along i saw that it wasn't that easy to be on the time

LAter when I started playing hendrix, zepellin, floyd, king crimson, etc.. it was kinda the same, but with the group that i have been on the last 2 years i have learnt so much to be perfect, practising on stage...

For me was like 4 years, because before i didn't had the reason to impprove that much (I played fast during those years, it sounded good, i made songs, been on some bars playing, but it wasn't PERFECT)

7 years of playing constantly at least
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
Intermediate is a level of skill not a point on a timeline.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Quote by viper_mike

+10
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
You're a beginner when you first pick up a guitar.

You're intermediate once you've played enough to be critical of "beginners" and their gear

You're still intermediate when you reach the point where you're critical of everyone else, regardless of what you call yourself.

You remain intermediate until you grow out of classifying, judging, and silly labels like "intermediate" at which point you are nothing, simply a musician with a guitar. And what more would you ever want to be.
I feel you become an intermediate player as soon as you can think about what your playing rather than how you will go about doing it.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by Nick_

You're intermediate once you've played enough to be critical of "beginners" and their gear

You're still intermediate when you reach the point where you're critical of everyone else, regardless of what you call yourself.

You remain intermediate until you grow out of classifying, judging, and silly labels like "intermediate" at which point you are nothing, simply a musician with a guitar. And what more would you ever want to be.

that was very deep sir... i completely agree
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Everyones got somthing to learn, so whos to call them intermediate?

ive been playing for 6 years, and i still learn lots of stuff, but i can play most things that are put in front of me, so those things clash.

id say 10 years, then you should have a vast knowlege of the guitar and how to play it.

i also agree the point raised about speed and whatnot. its not how many sloppy notes u can w*nk out of it, its the tone and execution of the music.
Quote by silentdob
*waits for the legion of Dimebag fans to beat me to death with bottles of Jack*
I just do not believe there is a way to really hang a time frame on something such as this. It is going to be determined by the amount of practice someone puts in and their ability to learn. Not exactly something that is measurable on a broad basis, much less an individual one. It is easier to define what an intermediate player is rather than to hang a scale on attaining it.
Quote by Zofar
+1

no doubt.

I hear my roomate tell ppl sometimes that i am the best guitar player he has ever heard. He obv. doesnt know anything about guitar.
Quote by Nick_

That made me cry it was so buetiful
What would you call intermediate? I've been playing two years, I can improv pretty well, know some theory, I can alt pick 16ths at rock tempos, I can tap, and in a couple months, I'll be able to play stuff like Eruption (I'm learning legato, and progressing fast at it). Would that be intermediate? Because I'm playing lead in a band, and I'm better than the rythm guitarist, whos been playing 5 years.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

I most definitely agree with there is no definitive time in which you become intermediate. I've been playing for about 3 months and I can play Cliffs of Dover and Raining Blood, obviously more, but those are my 2 favorite. I consider myself well into intermediate. I still have things to learn, like every guitarist does. All other guitarists who I've played with say I'm natural though. There are people who are natural and can learn fast and then there are others who just can't make anything pretty happen when they pick up a guitar. One thing that really boosted me in playing is MAKING SURE YOU PLAY CORRECTLY FROM THE START. I know some people who are self-taught, but are self-taught in EVERYTHING and they have been playing for more than a year, but I'm better than them.
Ive been playing for 2 years, but I dont practice like 2 hours a day, i have a busy life. I consider mysel beginner still, and i refuse to call myself anything higher than that until I can play Master of Puppets perfect in time.