Do you think humor and itelligence are directly linked?

I was thinking, because really good humor such as Blackadder (the forth) must take pretty clever people to write, and I personally think its hilarious.

But then there's stuff like The Boosh which again is hilarious but its humor is less sophisticated than Blackadder, but again the writers must have to be quite intelligent to write stuff like that.

Finally there's the real stupid humor, like some of the pictures on the 'Laugh you lose' thread. Again I find some of these really funny, but there just plain stupid!

So what do you think?

D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

I agree. Although I do favour the stupid humour slightly, the "lolcats" get me every time.
It depends what sort of humour. Subtle, well-thought out, or ironic humour takes some intelligence, but stupid jokes don't.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Yes. Humour, intelligence and arrogance are all closely linked I think.
Yes, humor takes a ton of intelligence.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
You'd be supprised. There are some incredibly intelligent people out there without the slightest hint of a sense of humor.

Some of the smartest people I know have all the wit of a funsized pack of raisins.
Last edited by rizo299 at Mar 21, 2008,
As long as it's proper, witty humour, not retarded toilet humour.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
exactly
i dont care about your band.pretty soon here i'm gonna start a revolution. then you can be a funny little footnote on my epic ass.
I agree with no doubt countless others who say it all depends. Some stuff requires intelligence (and then you also have your intelligent jokes, about things only 'intelligent' people would understand) and other stuff is purely silly and funny because that's all it is.
I'll laugh at nearly anything. Clever humour needs clever people to write it, but I think it can be enjoyed by nearly anyone.
The clever and witty style of typical British humour ususally takes intelligence. Look at the amount of comedians who started out in the Cambridge Footlights.
Some humor is definitely linked with intelligence.

But when you're Kenny Hotz and 99% of your jokes revolve around having sex with your best friend's mother and phrases like "Hoggin' my Hogan" and "Do you make more peepee in bed or more kucki in bed?" I don't that requires a lot of intelligence.

He may very well be an intelligent guy, but it doesn't come out in his humor.
Quote by rizo299
You'd be supprised. There are some incredibly intelligent people out there without the slightest hint of a sense of humor.

Some of the smartest people I know have all the wit of a funsized pack of raisins.

It's a particular type of intelligence. Humour requires intelligence, but not the other way around. Some people are just better disposed to being funny than others.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
It's a particular type of intelligence. Humour requires intelligence, but not the other way around. Some people are just better disposed to being funny than others.

I think you just hit the nail on the head. It's probably not linked to general intelligence, but emotional intelligence. I know people who are as dumb as a sack of potatoes but they're funny as hell.
cleverer people may enjoy witty humou more, as dumb people wont get half of it, it may be too subtle for them....so i think there is a link between the type of humour people enjoy and their intelligence
Quote by ukuleleftw
When is beating your cat not justified?

Quote by Gaz_m2k5
This is almost as stupid as when someone thought there might be a UG warehouse where all the tabs are stored.

July 8th, 2007 @ Wembley - Best day ever
It really depends - slapstick and toilet humour doesn't take very intelligent writing. Call me a snob, but I only like intelligent humour. Shit that's funny, but you think a little. Crap like Family Guy requires no effort, and batters my IQ.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Humor is a sign of intelligence. However I do find stupid people highly amusing.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
It depends what kind of humor
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Although most people don't believe it, the writers of Family Guy and shows like that are actually really smart.
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
Lets break it down logically, shall we?

1. Smart people can write jokes.
2. Dumb people can write jokes.

Therefore: Anyone can write jokes.

1. Smart people will laugh at smart jokes.
2. Dumb people are capable of laughing, but not guaranteed of, at smart jokes.
3. Smart people are capable of laughing, but not guaranteed of, at dumb jokes.
4. Dumb people will laugh at dumb jokes.

Therefore: Humor is generally universally accepted by all.

In conclusion:

1. Anyone can write jokes.
2. Humor is generally universally accepted by all.

Therefore: Unless you're tight-assed enough to turn bits of coal into diamonds, you're capable of laughing at anything so long as you give it a try.
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
i prefer intelligent humour, personally.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Humour requires wit. Wit requires intelligence. So yes, it does.

To put this into further perspective, Weird Al was a valedictorian.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
no! i'm friends with the smartest boy in the year and we laugh at stupid things such as poo! therefore no!
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

i think it has to be a little bit of both, but there is without a doubt humour that requires intelligence to compose, and to understand
in my final year high school philosophy textbook, theres a few paragraphs about jerry seinfeld, and how his stand-up is based on how we use words, and how they can take on several meanings, as well as misuses of language
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
yeah, depends on the type of humor
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
Quote by notsojoeyb4eva
Do you think humor and itelligence are directly linked?

I was thinking, because really good humor such as Blackadder (the forth) must take pretty clever people to write, and I personally think its hilarious.

But then there's stuff like The Boosh which again is hilarious but its humor is less sophisticated than Blackadder, but again the writers must have to be quite intelligent to write stuff like that.

Finally there's the real stupid humor, like some of the pictures on the 'Laugh you lose' thread. Again I find some of these really funny, but there just plain stupid!

So what do you think?

People need to be socially intelligent to write good comedy.

That doesn't always mean they're the best academics Although plenty of British comedians have qualifications in History (no idea what the link is).

But in general, yeah. There are plenty of types of intellect. A mechanic may suck at writing essays, doesn't make him an idiot.