Now I realized when I bought this that the Mesa Rectifier series amps have a ton of low end, and I'm not bashing it in any way because I love everything about this amp. EXCEPT, channel 4 using the manuals "Standard Modern Recto Tone" That a ton of bands and a ton of my favorite bands use I get this huge bass reverb that almost sounds like a bass drum when I palm mute. I was thinking an Ibanez TS9 to tighten it up, or an EQ? What do professional bands do to fix this problem?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
You can EQ out some of the low end.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
I'm running bass at 5 right now, I don't want to get it too thin.

edit; this only occurs at higher volumes.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Quote by tr3nt
I'm running bass at 5 right now, I don't want to get it too thin.

edit; this only occurs at higher volumes.

Well, reduce it further. Trust your ear, and make sure you stand far enough away from your amp.
Gear:
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Just lower the bass in your EQ. It depends on your guitar, i'm guessing. It might just be me, but i find Les Pauls to deliver more bass than other axe i've played.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epiphone EDS-1275
Epiphone Les Paul
Schecter C-1+
Peavey Delta Blues
EQ will do or from what I understand a modded ts9 will tighten it up, I believe thats what Hammett does
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
^ I just thought about that. It's probably my high output pickups.. make sense? EMG 81/85's ( I don't play metal <.<

You can always get an eq pedal. So you can cut out the exact low end frequency. Its probably that low end resonance thats driving you crazy. I had similar issues so i just found the frequency and cut it down some with the eq. Problem solved, and its not something backing off the bass will accomplish.
Do you have a tight/ loose switch or a resonance control? If so, play with that and see if that helps.
Gear:
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Every time I think I have the lows cranked a little bit too much, I end up finding out that they're cranked way too much. Odds are you don't need the lows turned up even to 5, in a mix the bass and drums will carry most of the low frequencies and trading off crispness for more lows in the guitar will likely just make the mix muddy as the low guitar frequencies compete with the high bass frequencies. It's far more important to have clear note definition and strong mids so that the guitar cuts through without getting lost or muddy.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by IbanezPsycho
You can always get an eq pedal. So you can cut out the exact low end frequency. Its probably that low end resonance thats driving you crazy. I had similar issues so i just found the frequency and cut it down some with the eq. Problem solved, and its not something backing off the bass will accomplish.

Thats what it is, I said reverb sound I meant resonance. Sorry. EQ pedal eh? I wanted to look at getting one anyway.

If the amp is setting on the floor get an amp stand. This will reduce the bass because it won't be resonating through the floor. Sometimes floors can act as a great big speaker, and bass just loves this since the longest bass sound waves are about 35 feet long for a bass guitar, shorter for the regular guitar, but still quite long. If this doesn't work try a little foam padding on the amp stand.
I can't put a 2x12 cabinet on a stand, But when I play live I usually have a piece of wood with wheels that it rolls on.

Edit; I'm still wondering about my guitar, Schecter Hellraiser? Would this be some of the problem?

I only got to say this, you seem to have a phenomanol amp and you can do two things

GET AN EQ PEDAL

OR

GET DIFFRENT PUPS

thats all
or just popped into my head right now bring the BASS on your amp down a notch and USE your tone knob on your Guitar to tweek i think thats your best bet without spending money
hope that helps
YAh and do what some guys mentioned put it on the Kitchen table or something just make sure its not on the floor and its pointing away or should i say not directly infront of a wall somewere in a cornerwill do well
Last edited by the-kid66(3) at Mar 21, 2008,
MXR 10 band looks sexy..

So does a used SG standard that I've been saving for....

Good god people, you DO NOT NEED an Eq with a FREAKING MESA ROADSTER. That thing has so many switches and EQ options, there is no need for an OD or any of that. My advice is to cut your bass, raise your mids, and raise your presence. If that doesn't help, it's very possible the speakers are to blame. The Hellraiser should have a very cutting defined sound. If the amp is resting on a hardwood floor, try putting a piece of carpet under it to act as a dampener for the bass frequencies. What is your mids knob at? Mesa's have a very scooped sound, a Mid knob on 7 for a Marshall is going to be like having it on 5 for the Mesa.

My gut feeling though is the speakers, as my Crate Vintage Club used to be this way.
The same thing happened to my valveking when it was cranked. I have a feeling it's my guitar, with the high output pups. I tried my friends Epiphone G-400 and I didn't have the same result with the bass resonance..

My dad is home for lunch break but when he leaves i'll turn up the mids and pres, and lower the bass.

And I wanted an Ibanez TS9 for other reasons too ;\ ..

Quote by tr3nt
^ I just thought about that. It's probably my high output pickups.. make sense? EMG 81/85's ( I don't play metal <.<

Why do you have EMGs and a Mesa if you don't play metal? That's gonna give you a metal tone, so a different setup will give you a tone better for your style.
I have the Mesa ROADSTER because it's very versatile.. Thats why I have the Roadster and not the rectos.

And I bought the Schecter a year ago when people were praising it all the time, I didn't know anything about it.

maybe lower the pickups on the low-E side so they're further away from the strings than on the high-E side?
Hmm I'll try it.