Whats up guys,

I'm still really new to bass guitar, i got mine in July last year but took a BIG break from it unfortunately and im now getting back into it again. I learnt quite a few basic songs on bass and such, chillis, tool, but never been able to afford lessons since im still paying off other necessities! Im really into my hardcore, probably frowned upon by many musicians but oh well! Anyway, i wanna know if there's like a special technique to 'chugging' open strings, like you hear during a lot of metal breakdowns? Also what sort of things (other than downtuning) do i need in order to achieve the heavy, chugging sound?

Appreciate the help dudes and forgive my newbness!
Some overdrive would be cool but get a blend control on it or a blend pedal so you can mix the "wet" effected sound with the "dry" uneffected sound.

Palm mute, use a pick and mute the strings a little at the nut.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
I play hardcore/metalcore with fingers, so you dont NEED a pick...if you play with one, cool, you'll have an easier time keeping up.

To get the 'chugg' sound you plam mute. If you play with a pick, use the meat of your picking hand to mute the string. With fingerstyle, mute with your fretting hand by just holding it so you are lightly touching the strings. This will cut off the "sustain" of the note, but not completely stop it.

I actually prefer to let a lot of my notes ring out in breakdowns. Adds a bit more depth to the sound, the guitars mute and then you get the bass note ringing into the silence.

What stuff are you trying to learn?If there's a specific bands sound you are after maybe i can help. Its way better to be original, but learning other people's riffs can help you pick up heaps of new techniques.
active pickups or some overdrive/distortion will work. that and a loud amp when you get the chance to get one. good luck bro and welcome to bass brotherhood
Ibanez SR 505
Brice Defiant 6 lizardburst (soon to have)
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Boss GT10B (soon to have)
This makes me curious - what does "chugging" sound like? I also play bass but I'm not really into metal, so could anyone point me to a song with some chugging in it?
Quote by shortyafter
This makes me curious - what does "chugging" sound like? I also play bass but I'm not really into metal, so could anyone point me to a song with some chugging in it?

Emmure is an awesome band with plenty of chugging.

TS: Plenty of bass and mids in your EQ will do you good. Palm muting is good too, but not necessary. I personally don't palm mute, but I think I might start doing it some in my newer songs. A pick is nice to have, it gives nice attack and allows for faster picking with less practice than fingers would take.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Thanks guys, i forgot how helpful everyone here was! I will take all your suggestions! However, some of you mention pickups/active pickups? As i said im still pretty new, don't know much of the technical lingo yet, ill have to look up what pickups do etc.

Quote by to_the_grave
I play hardcore/metalcore with fingers, so you dont NEED a pick...if you play with one, cool, you'll have an easier time keeping up.

To get the 'chugg' sound you plam mute. If you play with a pick, use the meat of your picking hand to mute the string. With fingerstyle, mute with your fretting hand by just holding it so you are lightly touching the strings. This will cut off the "sustain" of the note, but not completely stop it.

I actually prefer to let a lot of my notes ring out in breakdowns. Adds a bit more depth to the sound, the guitars mute and then you get the bass note ringing into the silence.

What stuff are you trying to learn?If there's a specific bands sound you are after maybe i can help. Its way better to be original, but learning other people's riffs can help you pick up heaps of new techniques.

You play hardcore with fingers? Cool cool. So when you chugg you go up and down on the string, whilst palm-muted with distortion etc?

In terms of specific bands - Black My Heart is what brought this chuggin dilemma upon me. I was looking at this guitar tab and playing it with Bass as best i could http://www.911tabs.com/link/?2338334, but obviously i just cant chug. Is it just a matter of practice in terms of keeping the string where you want it whilst chuggin? Cos its hard chugging down on it fast in rhythm while in Drop C.

Thanks guys!!
Quote by Jonnomainman
Some overdrive would be cool but get a blend control on it or a blend pedal so you can mix the "wet" effected sound with the "dry" uneffected sound.

Palm mute, use a pick and mute the strings a little at the nut.

Use your little finger/pa;m like you would with guitar. Also, just hit your strings harder and use a softer plectrum.
Quote by D_TOX
Whats up guys,

I'm still really new to bass guitar, i got mine in July last year but took a BIG break from it unfortunately and im now getting back into it again. I learnt quite a few basic songs on bass and such, chillis, tool, but never been able to afford lessons since im still paying off other necessities! Im really into my hardcore, probably frowned upon by many musicians but oh well! Anyway, i wanna know if there's like a special technique to 'chugging' open strings, like you hear during a lot of metal breakdowns? Also what sort of things (other than downtuning) do i need in order to achieve the heavy, chugging sound?

Appreciate the help dudes and forgive my newbness!

Finger the string, then immediately mute the string with your left palm. This will give an aggressive attack to the sound. You can make complex rhythms to this as well.
I don't know what all this palm muting nonsense is doing on a bass forum. The chugging sound comes from the guitarists palm muting to kill their high end. Breakdowns sound so much better when you just let that f.ucker boom, man. Don't palm mute nuthin
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
Emmure, As Blood Runs Black, Bring Me The Horizon, Job For A Cowboy && Parkway Drive etc.

Listen to these guys and listen out, thats how i figured it all out
Parkway are great, but the basslines arent that great. I mean, they get the job done, and fill out the low end but there's lots of root notes and nothing else. They are definately a great place to start...I'd actually recommend listening to Bleeding Through, as Ryan is an amazing bass player and his lines will give you an idea of how to move from root notes into more complex / melodic parts. Check out Darkest Hour as well.

I personally dont use distortion much, as it keeps the bass sound more recognisable under the super-distorted guitars. Ive started using three fingers as I can play faster that way, and I palm mute occasionally.

With this kinda music, the most important thing is being tight (which is true for most genres i guess). Whether you play root notes only or something more complex, make sure you are playing with the guitars and drummer. If you're not locking in with them, then you're not doing your job.
Quote by Fuzzycows5157
I don't know what all this palm muting nonsense is doing on a bass forum. The chugging sound comes from the guitarists palm muting to kill their high end. Breakdowns sound so much better when you just let that f.ucker boom, man. Don't palm mute nuthin

Truth.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Again thanks for the posts all!

When chugging, do you use your wrist to go up and down, or your whole arm? And should i have any specific strings/bass to pull it off? I'm using just a basic Yamaha.
Quote by D_TOX
Again thanks for the posts all!

When chugging, do you use your wrist to go up and down, or your whole arm? And should i have any specific strings/bass to pull it off? I'm using just a basic Yamaha.

I use my wrist and strictly downstrokes. Using your wrist at the bridge gives you a much tighter sound compared to full arm movements over the neck.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9