Focusing on a few songs? There are so many songs I want to learn and I'm generally all over the place when it comes to learning them.

Its very rare for me to learn a 'whole song'. There are maybe a dozen songs I know enough of to play a 'completed' version (excluding songs with short repetitive chord progressions).

Wondering if anyone else suffers from something similar?

e/: And don't get me started on solos. Short solos cool,, but long ones? My mind just wanders..
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
I'm exactly the same way, and usually, I don't even learn the whole solo. I get bored and give up. And I can hardly ever chose a song to learn, cause there are so many things I listen to. =/
I did the same thing for a while. Playing in a band helped me with that. It gets annoying if you can only play the intro to back in black but not the verses when jamming.

I used to just learn intros and choruses here and there. Just try to really sit down and learn a song from beginning to end. The things you can take and learn from songs really help you in the long run.

Keep playing and have fun!
Just 'spring cleaning' my tabs folder. ATM its sitting at about 300 files (I've paired the song and tab for each so about 150 tabs ). Getting rid of the ones that don't interest me and sorting them into groups..

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Ha! 300? I've got 30,000.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
Uhh.. you must have misunderstood me. I have a reasonable music collection. About 60 gig last time I checked, but I have a folder with tabs + the appropriate mp3s which totals 300.

That or you understood me and you're bragging about having 30,000 tabs. In which case it begs the question the fck are you going to manage to get through all those?..

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by Highbinder
Uhh.. you must have misunderstood me. I have a reasonable music collection. About 60 gig last time I checked, but I have a folder with tabs + the appropriate mp3s which totals 300.

That or you understood me and you're bragging about having 30,000 tabs. In which case it begs the question the fck are you going to manage to get through all those?..

I think he thinks thats how many songs you have lol. Either way, hes WAY cooler
I don't have a problem fucusing on which song to learn, or learning one song...

I mainly have a problem learning whole songs because when I'm learning it, I get to a part that either REALLY needs other instruments to sound decent, or it looks to hard or too easy.

I don't bother learning things too easy, cause then it'll get boring...

But I don't know what's too hard for me, so I try things REALLY hard, and give up. Or it just LOOKS hard, when all it is is moderately hard, which I can do.

Stupid me...
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
That was my problem. I learned lots of riffs from famous songs, but didn't learn one song good enough to play all the way through or any solos.

But currently, I'm playing along with Guitar Pro and learning how to play "Iron Man" all the way through. I can actually play the whole song with the solos at half speed. Still working to get it nice and clean.
I gave up on songs, i would usually just learn the parts i liked out of the song and found it to much of a pain to learn the whole song. Because even if you learn the whole song usually its not perfect so why even learn it. And im of a rhythm guy so the solo's arent the funniest things for me to learn..

So i started working on my own stuff and learning my own style and groove. So im not copying anyones style.. I found that when i was learning songs and would write my own stuff it would always end up being in the style of the group i was learning at the time. Due to muscle memorization... But every once and a while ill learn a riff or two from a song..