Page 1 of 2
My mom constantly is telling me now not to drive like a mile or so in the morning so I can park closer to campus because "its terrible for the car". She says it is just bad for the parts or some crap.

Does anyone know what im talking about or heard this claim? Can someone tell me if driving like 1 mile in the morning and then parking and letting it sit for hours is bad for the car?
epiphone les paul standard
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
-You don't seem to realize that heaven and hell are just delusions created to control the masses through fear and false promises.
Yeah its not the best to drive real short distances, but it really won't matter if you take good care of your car.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
Well, it's not good for your gas mileage (believe me). Ride a bike if you're only going a mile.
METAR KTIK 040043Z COR RMK TORNADO 1W MOV NE. EVACUATING STATION
I'm always taking my boyfriends car to the shop around the corner, so I hope this isn't true
Quote by Pwnage-er
I'm always taking my boyfriends car to the shop around the corner, so I hope this isn't true

Damnit, How many times have I told you. Stop doing that!
Quote by aprescott_27
Well, it's not good for your gas mileage (believe me). Ride a bike if you're only going a mile.

+1
Gear:
Ibanez RG3EX1
Squier Strat
Ibanez RG4EX1
Vox 30ADVT
Fender DG series acoustic
Dunlop Crybaby
Fender Frontman 15G
Actually, she's right, in a way. Starting and shutting down your engine produces more friction than any thing else. So, the more "short" trips you take, the more you start and shut down your engine, which means you'll have less total miles on your car before the engine dies. Also, a short drive is all city, which is much harder on your transmission than long distance drives.

Now, how much of a difference does it actually make? That's hard to say.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
if your car doesn't get up to a warm temp while it's being driven it is bad for the car. Kinda like only taking short breaths is bad for your brain.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by Pwnage-er

But it's a five minute walk, damn it!
Yeah its not the greatest. Cars are meant to be driven. Also, i'm not quite sure where you live but if you live in an area where you have winter (and by winter I don't mean 5 degrees haha like -5 or -10), and you're running the heat high with the radio and whatever else you may have going its not the best. You'll drain your battery much more by doing this. Your car needs to really drive to keep the battery from draining. (since the alternator in the engine keeps the battery charged while your driving, if its only being driven a short distance it can't really charge it up properly) Again only if its cold and you have the heat on high with other things...

And if its drained and your letting it sit for hours...
Quote by demonic_fishie
Johnson's naturally have a small kink in them, but if you've got a ninety-degree bend in it you should get it checked.

But hey, at least you could piss round corners.
Yeah, keep doing that. I usually take my car when I'm going to the toilet too. Or when I'm going to a nearby lake to dump some acid. Or just to chop down some trees in the rainforest, just for teh lulz. I like to **** the enviroment, I mean, it isn't as if it matters. Now I'm going to buy a new city jeep and keep the engine running all day so I can cook my pancakes on the hood tonight. Seeya.
Yeah.. It's bad.. besides.. ride a bike if it's only a mile, and you'll also help global warming

"When I die, I want people to play my music, go wild and freak out and do anything they want to do." - Jimi Hendrix

"A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality." - John Lennon

I'm a GIRL!
Quote by cerevian
Yeah, keep doing that. I usually take my car when I'm going to the toilet too. Or when I'm going to a nearby lake to dump some acid. Or just to chop down some trees in the rainforest, just for teh lulz. I like to **** the enviroment, I mean, it isn't as if it matters. Now I'm going to buy a new city jeep and keep the engine running all day so I can cook my pancakes on the hood tonight. Seeya.

+1

ride a bike! for real!

"When I die, I want people to play my music, go wild and freak out and do anything they want to do." - Jimi Hendrix

"A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality." - John Lennon

I'm a GIRL!
running your car over short distances doesn't give the enigine chance to get hot enough to burn the oil off properly, so when you turn it off you get water in the oil (from condensation) which will turn it a milky colour over time, doesn't hurt your car, but you may have to change your oil a few more times per year than normally. if you leave your oil unchanged then im guessing eventually your gonna get problems.

P.S. dont quote me an any of this as i am not a mechanic lol, just what my dad constantly keeps telling me when i drive 2 miles to work everyday :p
Quote by cerevian

GTFO please. He's asking about his car, not if it damages the ****ing environment. just GTFO

Hes not asking if driving his car is bad for the environment or if he should just walk.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
Last edited by yellowshirtguy at Mar 21, 2008,
yeah it's not good for your car really to just do short journeys. you need to take it out for good long drives now and again.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by Black_seeds
Exactly. It's 1 mile :O. Walk it, it won't kill you.

Well I just do that some daysin the mornings, I drive to a burger king which is close to the bus stop i have to get on to get to work/school.

Don't say you would want to walk a mile at 8 a.m. when you could just drive there.
epiphone les paul standard
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
-You don't seem to realize that heaven and hell are just delusions created to control the masses through fear and false promises.
thank god school is 25 miles away. tell me to bike that and i'll ansi bomb your computer. kthxbi
Quote by Silentnight66
Because this thread has Hitler and being hyper in it here's the fact of the day. Hitler was a meth addict.
its bad for the environment. start walking and stop being a lazy fucking cunt.

additionally, yes, it does damage the car. something to do with the oil heating up or some such nonsense. but thats pretty irrelevant compared to you being an idiot.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by yellowshirtguy
GTFO please. He's asking about his car, not if it damages the ****ing environment. just GTFO

Hes not asking if driving his car is bad for the environment or if he should just walk.

so what? i don't give a fuck what he is asking about, what matters is what is important, and what is important is that unnecessary car journeys are sickening.
Not using a car because it make break is like not wearing a shirt because it will get worn off.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Get the hell out of your car and walk unless it's pissing it down with rain. I hate people who drive for every little thing, it's pointless and wasteful.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
its bad for the environment. start walking and stop being a lazy fucking cunt.

additionally, yes, it does damage the car. something to do with the oil heating up or some such nonsense. but thats pretty irrelevant compared to you being an idiot.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
so what? i don't give a fuck what he is asking about, what matters is what is important, and what is important is that unnecessary car journeys are sickening.
Damn, Matt. Who pissed in your Corn Flakes today?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Damn, Matt. Who pissed in your Corn Flakes today?

i dunno, i just think its a really lame attitude to have, to think that the only thing that matters about taking a journey like that is whether it harms the car. i just find it really depressing that people think like that...

but honestly, i'm in a good mood really! things are good and i have loads of awesome things to look forward to. i was just annoyed, yknow?
Its bad.

Well, that's my input for tonight.

EDIT: And I agree, get off your arse and walk, a mile is nothing.
.Brand New.Bright Eyes.This Will Destroy You.

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!

Just because you're being a prick, Im gonna go and make my freind run his old 78 f150 till it runs dry... and it has no catalytic converters or EGR systems. Yeah... Then we'll take his other huge truck and drive around. JUST BECAUSE OF YOU. How does that make you feel?
Bторой член в"Русскoй группe."PM Vindication to join
Quote by psychedelic420
I think Tiksi settled the matters. haha great job!

Quote by happytimeharry
The power of Christ compels me...

to touch myself.

Deputy Leader, Secretary General, UG Ambassador USA
Quote by Tiksi
Just because you're being a prick, Im gonna go and make my freind run his old 78 f150 till it runs dry... and it has no catalytic converters or EGR systems. Yeah... Then we'll take his other huge truck and drive around. JUST BECAUSE OF YOU. How does that make you feel?

that you're a fuckwit.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
that you're a fuckwit.

Maybe ill burn some gas too, just for the hell of it, maybe cut down a couple trees. Hes got a lot of property, and hooking up a couple chains to the truck and pulling would be fun... yeah.... I think we'll do that
Quote by psychedelic420

Quote by happytimeharry

to touch myself.

Quote by Tiksi

It sounds like you're being extremely childish, grow the **** up.

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!
Quote by Cpt.Jackass
It sounds like you're being extremely childish, grow the **** up.

Well, first off, if you think I'm serious, Im sorry for that.
Second, I'm so ****ing tired of people constantly being all ****ing obsessed with global warming. Driving a mile isnt gonna do anything. FFS. I know.. global warming is bad... etc etc. and I understand that, it just getting to the point where you have people like that bitching at you about global warming when you fart.
Quote by psychedelic420

Quote by happytimeharry

to touch myself.

Quote by Tiksi
Well, first off, if you think I'm serious, Im sorry for that.
Second, I'm so ****ing tired of people constantly being all ****ing obsessed with global warming. Driving a mile isnt gonna do anything. FFS. I know.. global warming is bad... etc etc. and I understand that, it just getting to the point where you have people like that bitching at you about global warming when you fart.

Whether or not you were joking, you never took anyone else's opinion into consideration. Some people DO actually care about it, and making a joke of their opinion isn't the mature thing to do.

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!
Being from the Netherlands, where the bike is almost always used be everyone and their mom for those short distances, I find some people here incredible lazy. There are also people who, to me, appear to be acting like an asshole.
Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.
Quote by Cpt.Jackass
Whether or not you were joking, you never took anyone else's opinion into consideration. Some people DO actually care about it, and making a joke of their opinion isn't the mature thing to do.

mhm... maybe I have an opinion too? and did I once say I didnt care about the enviroment? no, I just said I was tired of people bitching about it. Honestly, the only time I litter is after someone tells me not to. Not rebellion, it just pisses me off when people wont shut up about it.
Quote by psychedelic420

Quote by happytimeharry

to touch myself.

Quote by Tiksi
mhm... maybe I have an opinion too? and did I once say I didnt care about the enviroment? no, I just said I was tired of people bitching about it. Honestly, the only time I litter is after someone tells me not to. Not rebellion, it just pisses me off when people wont shut up about it.

sometimes people don't shut up about things because they are important.

no, of course one mile isn't going to make the difference, but no single person is individually responsible for what happens to the environment, no one person will fuck it up alone. it will happen collectively, which is why everyone has to take personal action to reduce their consumption. the one mile doesn't count, but when millions of people are doing it every day, that most certainly does count.
Quote by Tiksi
Tell the truth, did your mama drop you on your head when you were a baby?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Tell the truth, did your mama drop you on your head when you were a baby?

I dont do it to be like "I WONT DO WHAT YOU TELL ME TO !!!!111oneoneoneone" I do it because I'm tired of hearing it and it pisses me off, so I piss them off too.
Quote by psychedelic420

Quote by happytimeharry

to touch myself.

Page 1 of 2