Page 1 of 4

Introduction:
I've been looking for a versatile tube amp for a long time (as you might know, through the many threads I've posted). I thought I had settled for a B-52 AT-112 (Great amp, btw). Too bad it was literally impossible for me to get my hands on. Then I remembered about the ValveKing and here I am =).

Upgrades:
I know that stock, the ValveKing isnt too impressive. Luckily, I had about $200 bucks left to spend after going for the $400 VK112. I decided upon the following:

Celestion Vintage 30
Tung-Sol 12AX7 in V1
JJ 12AX7's in V2, V3
JJ 6L6GC's (To MrCarrots dislike )

I ordered every thing in. Yesterday everything arrived, just in time for me and my guitar teacher to put it all together. Then disaster strikes (Well, not really). When we took the preamp tubes out of the ValveKing, they were JJ's. I just wasted $32 bucks. Even worse, the Tung-Sol was dead. At least I could put a JJ into V1. We installed the speaker by actually removing the front grill instead of sliding it out. Made it much easier, basically no room for error. Finally it was done! Ready to go.
Final Product:
Peavey ValveKing 112
- Celestion Vintage 30
- JJ 12AX7's
- JJ 6L6GC'S

Overall Impression
I honestly think the ValveKing looks pretty sexy. The detailed silver grill really compliments the black.

Now, this is pretty heavy. Its roughly 45 pounds with the Vintage 30 dropped in. Well, for me its heavy. Shut up. Even though its made in China, its very sturdy. Nothing was loose when we went through it, and the exterior is strong. It seems to have good airflow in the back. I put a small fan behind it anyways to make sure the tubes are cool, to increase their lifespan.

Tone
Now when I first played the amp after everything was installed (around 5 minutes after we finished), I wasnt very impressed. Stupid me. The cone had barely moved in the speaker. I was playing at very low volumes. When I took it home, I played around and started hearing its true colors come out. Wow, after the upgrades this amp has a tone just shy of a 5150. This is without the speaker being broken in, mind you. Its very versatile. The cleans are alright, nothing too special, but considering this is a high-gain amp, its good. Now on the topic of high-gain, this amp has enough gain for metal and metalcore. Playing Bullet For My Valetine and Children of Bodom on this without any overdrive. The gain-boost helps alot, but I've noticed its quite noisy. This disappears when you stand further away from the amp. If you're playing higher volumes, you'd want a noise gate. Other than the noise, the tone on this baby is perfect for me.

Heres a clip of it

Ignore my horrible playing. It was done at 12 am, after I quickly learned the song by ear. I forgot what to play at some spots, sorry about that. My favorite part is the last little riff, shows off the nice chunky distortion you can get.

UPDATE(S)
New clip up!

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/mike.h/

This one was recorded a lot better, and I put a back track on there. Its a little low volume wise - but its a lot better than the last one. I played off beat so I had to change the tempo on the backing track.

Conclusion
I really can see this amp staying with me for a LONG time. I cant wait until the Vintage 30 breaks in and I get the Tung-Sol back in V1. This to me is close to a 5150, with better cleans. Couldn't asked for anything more

There she is with my beautiful G-400.

Thanks for reading
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Last edited by mike.h at Mar 27, 2008,
Sounds pretty kickass!
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
Sounds nice, all the modding was $200? Did you install everything yourself?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Quote by tr3nt
Sounds nice, all the modding was $200? Did you install everything yourself?

I ordered every thing in. Yesterday everything arrived, just in time for [B]me and my guitar teacher to put it all together[/B]

Not to seem like a dick but.. ^

Nice banner you got there, and nice VK I hope you enjoy it.
Quote by jimmy666page666

I ordered every thing in. Yesterday everything arrived, just in time for [B]me and my guitar teacher to put it all together[/B]

Not to seem like a dick but.. ^

Nice banner you got there, and nice VK I hope you enjoy it.

Haha, thanks. Only took like 5 seconds to put a glow and text on that banner
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Oh god... let me see, Epi pickups on a $400 buck amp with V30s? Urg... Nice mod though.
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
Quote by SQHero
Oh god... let me see, Epi pickups on a $400 buck amp with V30s? Urg... Nice mod though.

The pickups in the G-400 are actually pretty good. I might upgrade to Rockfields later on.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

I bet it sounds great. I think the 490's on your Epi are some really good pickups. The only difference in the pickups of the Gibson SG Standard is that it has a 498 bridge pickup. To be honest I use the neck pickup on my SG about half the time. You may not want to change pickups after you get used to the amp again. Good job, man.
Quote by uldhppi
I bet it sounds great. I think the 490's on your Epi are some really good pickups. The only difference in the pickups of the Gibson SG Standard is that it has a 498 bridge pickup. To be honest I use the neck pickup on my SG about half the time. You may not want to change pickups after you get used to the amp again. Good job, man.

I think you missed the link to the recording

Ill try and make it more obvious
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Im probably getting a noise gate with the amp rather than an Overdrive. Ill report back on how the amp works with the noise gate. It should make it the perfect amp for me =)
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by mike.h
The pickups in the G-400 are actually pretty good. I might upgrade to Rockfields later on.

Good choice. You should also be thinking about saving up for a hi-end amp now.

Quote by SQHero
Good choice. You should also be thinking about saving up for a hi-end amp now.

Rofl. This will last me for a while. It sounds close enough to a high end amp for me. It gives me the exact tone Im looking for.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Ahh man that sounded awsome! But you should of posted a clip of it before all the mods so we can see how much a difference it made.
Quote by Renka
How big a differance would you say the tubes do?

I wouldnt know. I didnt even try the VK without the mods. But the speaker makes the biggest difference, especially if they stock it with good preamp tubes. Like said, mine came with JJ's stock, which was sort of a pleasant suprise (had ordered JJ's to put in). The powertubes will always be Rubys, which arent very good. JJ powertubes are great.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by Renka
How big a differance would you say the tubes do?

They make different amounts of difference depending on the brand and make, but when I switched my pre-amp tubes out, I had a real big change cause my stock tubes sucked and I replaced them with NOS RCAs.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by SSL27
They make different amounts of difference depending on the brand and make, but when I switched my pre-amp tubes out, I had a real big change cause my stock tubes sucked and I replaced them with NOS RCAs.

Which amp?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by FRDesign
Are you selling your Line 6 on craigslist. I thought I saw it lol

Just sold it about 2 hours ago. lol.

Sold it for $85 bucks
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by FRDesign
Haha nice. Whats with some people on there selling theirs for $150...

I know. I actually felt bad selling it for $85 bucks. That amp is not worth that much. The dude was a nice guy aswell, but he said he was looking for a small amp as he was in an apartment.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

On that recording I had the treble at around 4 to get smoother low end, but I started cranking up the treble to about 1 oclock today, and here I am with my jaw on the floor again. GREAT crunchy midrange tones coming out of my baby. Sounds even better than on the recording. Heck, it sounds better everyday as the speaker starts breaking in. When I get a noise-gate ill be set for life I tell ya
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Sounds good, but I really would have wanted to hear before and after clips.

One tiny bit of advise...don't be crushed when the honeymoon's over. I've been through a dozen or so guitars and amps in the past few months, and there's always a feeling of awesomeness with a new piece of equipment. Just give it time. You might be playing blues in a month.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Sounds good, but I really would have wanted to hear before and after clips.

One tiny bit of advise...don't be crushed when the honeymoon's over. I've been through a dozen or so guitars and amps in the past few months, and there's always a feeling of awesomeness with a new piece of equipment. Just give it time. You might be playing blues in a month.

Well I barely play through other amps, and this is EXACTLY the tone I had in mind. Like I had my own little sample clip of my tone, in my head. And this matches it. So Im all good. It will only get better with the speaker break in so =)

spine:

I know you're a knowledgeable guy so can you see my thread thats below this, called "Reducing Feedback - Noisegate?" and answer the question in the last post =)
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

I just listened to your clip, sounds great. Congrats on the new Peavey
1979 Granada Les Paul
1983 Lado Flying V
2006 Fender Stratocaster
2007 Tenson Classical
2008 Epiphone Les Paul
2008 Yamaha Pacifica
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2011 Dean Z 79 Series
2011 Ibanez 12 String Acoustic
2012 Messina Classical
Quote by mike.h
spine:

I know you're a knowledgeable guy so can you see my thread thats below this, called "Reducing Feedback - Noisegate?" and answer the question in the last post =)

Who says I'm a guy?

I posted in that thread. Feel free to hit me up on aim.
Youre profile says youre a guy! =) Thanks for the help. I have another question though, lets just focus on the other thread. I dont have AIM btw
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by mike.h
Well I barely play through other amps, and this is EXACTLY the tone I had in mind. Like I had my own little sample clip of my tone, in my head. And this matches it. So Im all good. It will only get better with the speaker break in so =)

spine:

I did too, thought i was set and hit my perfect tone. Then i went and played a 6505 at guitar center and all that went out the door. So now im saving for one of those lol and i've got the new gear itch and its driving me nuts... I just gotta get it..just gotta find a way....over and over in my head lol

Thought the Valveking would keep it at bay but nope it only lasted about 4 months...
Well I played a 6505 and it sounds very similar to this, so I really believe im set. Plus this has better cleans and more controllable noise.

The people who see my mp3 at the top of the music of the past day must be like wtf is this
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Im getting an iSP Decimator on Monday so I'll report back when the pedals in action!
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by mike.h
Im getting an iSP Decimator on Monday so I'll report back when the pedals in action!

Good luck!

SpineEdit: KEEP your recipt!
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Good luck!

SpineEdit: KEEP your recipt!

Yep. I do that with all of my purchases. The guy who Im buying it from also happens to be my guitar teacher lol, he works at the local Long & McQuade. Its great getting discounts and having him do my upgrades without having to pay him (other than for lessons )
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Last edited by mike.h at Mar 22, 2008,
Quote by mike.h
Which amp?

My Palomino V16.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
So, playing around again today. I started to realize the gain was a bit harsh (standing out above the rest). Rolled back the mids a bit (they were dimed) and the Tones even better now. Woot. Anybody know what the actual difference between class A and class AB is? Because now that Ive played around with them they both sound exactly the same.

Thought I had a buyer on the Ruby powertubes.. but then he sees that in the picture the "Ruby" logo/print is darker on one than on the other.

He says "It means that they are not matched, and the darker one ran hotter on the same bias voltage."

Im assuming thats true?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Last edited by mike.h at Mar 23, 2008,
Class A amps have power tubes on 100% of the time. AB power tubes are on and off. The AB have a bit more punch. Examples of A amps are like Fender Pricetons or Champs. Countless AB amps though.

Quote by SQHero
Class A amps have power tubes on 100% of the time. AB power tubes are on and off. The AB have a bit more punch. Examples of A amps are like Fender Pricetons or Champs. Countless AB amps though.

Cool. Any idea on the Ruby tube thing above?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Probably from different factories? Or their toner was off (unlikely). If they are not matched then don't put them in your amp together.

EDIT: The reason is that one will burn off sooner than the other, and you have to replace them both anyways. Also the sound will be "off" a bit. The maximum tolerance for bias difference in most amps is about 5-15%.

Last edited by SQHero at Mar 23, 2008,
Im not putting those ones in my amp. Those are the stock ones took out. The guy who was going to buy it said no because he noticed the faded print. Ugh. Hopefully I can find someone who doesnt know and I can get my cash =(
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Likely no one will put non-matching power tubes just because it's told by many not to. It's actually not going to break the amp or anything, but may give off less drive and more noise while reduce usable life.

Quote by SQHero
Likely no one will put non-matching power tubes just because it's told by many not to. It's actually not going to break the amp or anything, but may give off less drive and more noise while reduce usable life.

Damn..

I could use that extra $35 bucks
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Page 1 of 4