How is there not an up and running thread for him? I mean c'mon! His AMAZING! I am usually all for metal, but this guy is one of my favorite musicians right now. I love how hes got a really modern sound, yet he has a bit of influence from the 50's. What about everyone else?
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
I actually really prefer him live (or at least how I saw him live) to on his CDs. On the cds it sometimes seems a bit over elaborate and poppy, whereas the live show was just him and a guitar (and a girl on bongos) and was much more personal and folky. I love his songwriting but whenever I listen to his albums I remember how much more I loved the concert.
^His storytelling is definitely better than Andrew Birds. But yeah, I would say as far as his arrangements he's less impressive.

Though...an "unevolved" Andrew Bird would probably mean he's playing the same style he was playing when he had his bowl of fire...and that is NOTHING like what Jens Lekman sounds like.
i think i'm probably the same as one of the poster's above, in that i can tell i would like him a lot more if he had much simpler arrangements - like just guitar and bongoes perhaps. As it is i find the music a bit too lush and elaborate and poppy.
i dreamed i saw st. augustine
alive with fiery breath
and i dreamed i was amongst the ones
that put him out to death.
I just listened to an album I downloaded as a part of my Coachella '08 discovery palooza.

His music is good, but his singing is average, and lyrics are retardedly cliche and maudlin ("I'm leaving because I don't love you" I mean, really?). I'm not sure I can overlook this. Only time will tell.
He's really whimsical and I love his accent.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
I just listened to an album I downloaded as a part of my Coachella '08 discovery palooza.

His music is good, but his singing is average, and lyrics are retardedly cliche and maudlin ("I'm leaving because I don't love you" I mean, really?). I'm not sure I can overlook this. Only time will tell.

His lyrics can be hit or miss. A lot of them are actually quite good, especially when he explains the stories behind them live. I would say give other of his albums a try and see if you like those lyrics better.
*bump*

I just got Night Falls Over Kortedala and it's great. It just puts me in a really good mood when I listen to it. I basically loved the album as soon as I heard the chorus of the first track - "And I Remember Every Kiss". It makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

I really don't find him incredibly similar to Andrew Bird and, if you're looking for something like Andrew Bird, it doesn't surprise me that you might be put off Jens Lekman's music. It's basically pop.

As for his voice, it reminds me of a (much) less impressive Scott Walker, but I like it.