Aside from price point issues, would there be any reason why you would pick a 15 watt over a 50 watt, assuming both have one 12 inch speaker?
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
youd be able to turn it up a little...really just a little...but still more than the 50w

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
The 50w will stay cleaner at higher volumes. The 15w will break up sooner (assuming you're talking tube here). Get the 50w if you're going gigging. 15w for at home and band jams...
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
Yup. I'd personally prefer a 15w because I love power-amp overdrive, but a 50W is great if you need 'loud' and 'clean' a the same time.

I currently gig with a 50W; although it sounds a bit lifeless and 'clinical' at gigging volumes it's great to know you've got all that extra power on tap, and the right power tubes can improve matters. For me nothing beats playing a big venue with fully PA'd drums and instruments...and then refusing to let them mic my amp up
I am asking because a friend of mine had pointed out that there is a 50w Valveking that cost 350, which is the about the same price of my Blues Junior which cost 350. Edit: And as my signature indicated, my Blues Junior is the 1996 model. Not sure if that would matter...
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
^ Because the blues junior is higher quality, watts should be one of the last things you look for in an amp unless you are gigging.

Also, I have the same Ibanez as you
Last edited by Horlicks at Mar 21, 2008,
I agree with Horlicks. Buying an amp purely on watts is like buying a guitar based on how many frets it has...

The Valveking is a more versatile amp, but the Blues Junior is a better-sounding one.
^ I see. But unlike a SS amp, and more than what you can do with a guitar, you can upgrade a lot of stuff in a tube amp to a high quality, from the basic loudspeaker/valve replacements to an actual circuit mod. That's why, at a certain price point level (like 350 for a 50watt), I do not see "quality" being an issue.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
Quote by kyle62
Yup. I'd personally prefer a 15w because I love power-amp overdrive, but a 50W is great if you need 'loud' and 'clean' a the same time.

I currently gig with a 50W; although it sounds a bit lifeless and 'clinical' at gigging volumes it's great to know you've got all that extra power on tap, and the right power tubes can improve matters. For me nothing beats playing a big venue with fully PA'd drums and instruments...and then refusing to let them mic my amp up

I don`t know if it`s my amp or what but my 50watt Marshall isn`t THAT loud it`s loud but i don`t think it would play over PA`d drums and stuff

i play it at 7/10 with the other guitarest playing a Spider II 1/2 stack, Bass 1/2 stack singer through a 120 watt PA and Drums. thats in my tiny little house

so me, ya i wouldn`t even think about getting a 15 watt amp.
Quote by Jestersage
^ I see. But unlike a SS amp, and more than what you can do with a guitar, you can upgrade a lot of stuff in a tube amp to a high quality, from the basic loudspeaker/valve replacements to an actual circuit mod. That's why, at a certain price point level (like 350 for a 50watt), I do not see "quality" being an issue.

But then you are just buying a new amp essentially, and some people don't like the tone 100 watt amps get at home
Quote by Slayerdeath
I don`t know if it`s my amp or what but my 50watt Marshall isn`t THAT loud it`s loud but i don`t think it would play over PA`d drums and stuff

i play it at 7/10 with the other guitarest playing a Spider II 1/2 stack, Bass 1/2 stack singer through a 120 watt PA and Drums. thats in my tiny little house

Fair enough, Boogie are well known for being a little...conservative, when it comes to power ratings. Still, if you've got your 50W Marshall on 7/10 in the house, I think you must be running some very old - or very unusual - valves. I've never got my amp (which is fitted with low-gain 12AT7s) past 3 or 4 at a live gig, even un-mic'd at a small outdoor festival...
I also did around a year of gigging with a Fender Blues Jr and it was still too bloody loud for half the places we played, even though our drummer is the kind who leaves a ring of sawdust around the kit when he's finished....

Mind you, speaker efficiency is also a big factor, and perhaps there's even some percieved difference between 6L6s and EL34s.
Quote by kyle62

I also did around a year of gigging with a Fender Blues Jr and it was still too bloody loud for half the places we played, even though our drummer is the kind who leaves a ring of sawdust around the kit when he's finished....

well, I have never gig with the Blues Junior (only the TRM-30 and the CPB150 for jamming and it's more than loud enough), so i don't know how loud it is. All I know is that my father ofund it too loud from the street, and I was playing with everyhting at 12 o'clock. And I guess, as you pointed out, there's the PA system...

And I just hope your drummer do not play on my Rock Band drum kit
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
Quote by Slayerdeath

Do you wear earplugs? cause if not you are going to be basically deaf when your older. That is so ridiculously loud for a house. Unless your amp is messed up or something.
Kino22X... HAHAHA, it is ridiculously loud, but the other are like ZOMG gotta play basicly as loud as we can... and yes i do wear ear plugs sometimes. i would rather play at lower volumes myself.

Kyle62... ya i don`t know man, going by what you and everyone else says my amp is lacking in the volume department, it`s running 3 pre amp tubes.. no idea what they are, they got metal cylinders around them and 2 power tubes which are JJ E 34L, the store i bought the amp off of says the tubes are pretty new, my cab is a Marshall with G12T-75 speakers and there good. but the one thing that is kinda weird about my amp is the volume doesn`t really come on till 3 below that it`s REALLY quite, the guy at the store said it`s normal for JCM 900`s, he said he owns one and it`s the same way.

this is my very 1st tube amp and i love it, but know really nothing about them. when i get it paid off i wanna see about getting it rebuilt
if we're talking tube amps here, the 15 watt amp would be easier to push into the sweet overdrive areas with less volume, thus being a nicer substitute for the 100 watt monster for bedroom levels of play.

I have a 6505+, 120 watts and "low volumes" on that amp surpass bedroom levels. luckily I have my own place. unfortunately for my neighbors, it's a duplex.
Jumping Jax Champion 1965!
Also, I am not entirely sure, but I could swear the Blues Junior is lighter AND smaller than the Valveking 112... and as I mentioned, weight and dimension is an issue for me.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
Quote by kyle62
I agree with Horlicks. Buying an amp purely on watts is like buying a guitar based on how many frets it has...

The Valveking is a more versatile amp, but the Blues Junior is a better-sounding one.

+ a plate of bacon. So much more to an amp...
Quote by kyle62
Fair enough, Boogie are well known for being a little...conservative, when it comes to power ratings. Still, if you've got your 50W Marshall on 7/10 in the house, I think you must be running some very old - or very unusual - valves. I've never got my amp (which is fitted with low-gain 12AT7s) past 3 or 4 at a live gig, even un-mic'd at a small outdoor festival...

Mind you, speaker efficiency is also a big factor, and perhaps there's even some percieved difference between 6L6s and EL34s.

wait....
dont amp makers typically rate their tube amps based off the # of tubes, rather than anything else?
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at with the preamp tubes and power output...
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer