What do I do?

Is it safe to switch off my comp with my external hdd still connected? Why won't it let me 'safely remove hardware'

/mad paranoia at losing all his music
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by reaume140
Start>Run>"cmd.exe">deltree /y C:\Windows

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Unless you're in the middle of transferring something onto/from the hdd, it should be fine.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Also, for the record, if you shutdown your computer with a device attached and running, the OS will end whatever background transfer might be running during the shutdown operation, and after the computer is off it will be safe to remove.
Electrolytes Smell Like Semen...
Quote by reaume140

Don't worry, I'm not 'tarded enough to just blindly input commands. Cheers for the link tho.

Quote by sg4eva
Also, for the record, if you shutdown your computer with a device attached and running, the OS will end whatever background transfer might be running during the shutdown operation, and after the computer is off it will be safe to remove.

Cheers mate, exactly the info I needed. Always a bit paranoid having tons of stuff on an external hdd not backed up anywhere else. Really don't want to lose any of my music y'know?

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Last edited by Highbinder at Mar 21, 2008,