Hey guys,

I play mainly hardcore, metalcore and metal, and am looking for a pedal to spice up my solos. I am currently learning a bunch of Metallica solos, a couple of Avenged Sevenfold solos, and so on, lots of bluesy metal stuff. I've recently bought an EQ pedal which has given my sound a bit of bite for solos, but it still needs something else.

Basically, which sort of effect is better suited for metal solos - delay or reverb? I want them to sound a little less flat, a bit more full-bodied...

Thanks!
I would say reverb, gives more of an echo whilst delay just repeats the sound pretty much exactly...
Whenever i want to make a more full sound for my solos i switch the the rythym setting on my jaguar and add chorus and a bit of delay, maybe you could try that?
The Holiest (i think) Grail is a really really good reverb pedal. Nice full sound and built tough too.
Your fingers... your hands are an extension of your musical soul, so you shouldn't need much else besides what God gave you.
Quote by sevendust07
Your fingers... your hands are an extension of your musical soul, so you shouldn't need much else besides what God gave you.

Then again, God didn't give us guitars or amps.

I prefer delay for solos, but I tend to use reverb sometimes. It's what you prefer.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
I use reverb at the moment, but if I had a semi-decent delay, I'd use that.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by rhcp_freak

I prefer delay for solos, but I tend to use reverb sometimes. It's what you prefer.

Or did he?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Whatever you run, be it reverb or delay, in a high gain setting - USE THE EFFECTS LOOP.

I suggest a slight delay, set quite low.
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
Both, in copious amounts.

But delay if you can get just one
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Whenever i want to make a more full sound for my solos i switch the the rythym setting on my jaguar and add chorus and a bit of delay, maybe you could try that?

putting chorus on a solo is a bad idea...
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Go try some out if you have the chance, but if you don't, i would say a good reverb.
ESP F-200 with Floyd Rose>

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Pulsar Tremolo
BBE Boosta Grande
Fender Pedal Tuner>

Peavey Valveking 1x12
Quote by kool98769

Ive found it always works well for a more melodic solo, then again i could see the problem with using it for metal
I say delay, sparingly like 50ms with little to no feedback this gives you a little more thickness and doesn't change the pitch like a chorus pedal can do.
why wont u use both of em? part with reverb (which i really like) and part with delyas( quite nice delays on my friends ME-50)
Lazer LG-180A
Dean Razorback V 255 @ 18v MOD
Bugera 6262-212
ATH-M50
Vox amPlug Metal
Boss TU-80
Boss ML-2
RZBK V 255 build <5%, ideas>
OFFICIAL "DEAN PLAYERS UNITE" PLAYER #2
BUGERA USERS MILITIA...One of the first owners...
Quote by kool98769

Eh, a lot of 80's shredders used delay+chorus with their lead tone.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
I personnaly prefer a short "echo" type delay. It's not too invasive : it situates your sound in time without drowning it in a swirl of repeated notes. However, it all depends on the vibe of the song. A solo on a power ballad could use a deep reverb effect and sound very good (in the hair metal world :cool.
im try and get a like comf numb thing with chorus and delay it sounds like a new aged reverb go for it man!
my point being, a 'good' guitarist doesn't need effects, take it for what you will
Quote by sevendust07
my point being, a 'good' guitarist doesn't need effects, take it for what you will

That doesn't mean his solo wouldn't sound better with some effects.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
i use delay...but it has to be set at the right time.I use reverb in my clean guitar only.Though if you play some post-rock or ambient you can use both and there is something magical coming out of it.

Anyway I use delay as some sort of a boost because I only use on distortion pedal.
My pedals:
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah GCB-95
Ibanez Tube Screamer (TS-9)
Digitech Hot Head
MXR Phase 90
Digitech DigiDelay
Quote by sevendust07

If all people thought that way... So don't practice to a solo when you are with your guitar. You just pray and wait if you can play it... Yes and as rhcp_freak said God didn't give us guitars we don't know even it exist
I didn't intend to sound obnoxious. I meant I tend to get my 'sound' out of my hands-I like Reverb for some solos!!!
Quote by sygnates21
im try and get a like comf numb thing with chorus and delay it sounds like a new aged reverb go for it man!

Since when is reverb old school? Here comes Line6's new marketing campaign.

"Your not cool without your new-age Pluto Reverb"

This isn't an attack at syngates21, just the visual that came to my head when I read that.
I do have an Akai Headrush. Very handy. I got it for the loop but it is a very functional very easy to use Loop/Delay/Tape Delay Pedal.

And only $189, if I remember right.
My favorite effect is actually the only pedal in my effects chain—Roland Space Echo re-issue . . . the RE-20. Space-ey, echo-ey, reverbish-ey . . . not digital delay-repeat-ey. With the RE-20 you get echo and a short-spring reverb—best of both worlds. MAP of $249, but maybe you can haggle to $200.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Mar 23, 2008,
Quote by Jinskee
Eh, a lot of 80's shredders used delay+chorus with their lead tone.

I think that's what he meant
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
For metal, Id probably get a wah or a phaser.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
chorus, little bit of delay and reverb
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12
Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro

Ibanez RGA 121 w/ Crunchlab and Liquifire
Music Man John Petrucci Mystic Dream
ERG Custom Guitar
Quote by Miggy01
I think that's what he meant

wut?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by rhcp_freak

Then how did we get the Strat and the AC-30?
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
Did that Strat went down from your chimney as a present from God? You or your mother or your father worked to earn the money of it then you bought it right? It's not God it's all about you. Anyway for the effects everyone may like different things i guess try them yourself