Page 5 of 6
I dunno, this thread has had 14 people post in it.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?

You've got me there...

But to truly answer your question, they are pretty experimental. I wouldn't recommend them to the casual metal listener.
Hm yeah, I see what you mean...

...even though I did that in my review.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Then some folks are in for a surprise, that's for sure.

That being said, I really like the clean singing on Apollo Ends. I haven't listened to much of it yet, but from what I've heard it's a lot better than on TSotLiA.
Yeah, I think it's a bit better, although I didn't have a problem with Lily's.

I prefer this vocalist to the new one.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by dminishedthingy
hey guys, i was just wondering if you've checked your pm's lately, no specific reason why

might have got lost in translation
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Okay. One complaint. Not even a complaint. Something that just really pisses me off.

Apollo Destroys, Apollo Creates.

What pretentious bull****. I mean yea, Agalloch does have its moments with guitar feedback. But it's usually melodic in some form, and there's never 5 straight minutes of it, let alone in the middle of a ****ing album. Apollo Ends has an amazing flow from song to song. And then Boom. 5 minutes of ridiculous feedback that totally disrupts and destroys the flow and mood of the album. I skip it every time. Horrible, horrible move.
I agree, but the song gets better after that point.

Sculptured is the experimental output. That was an experiment. He tried it once, didn't like it.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia

Do you folks like folk?
HOLY ****

I just went and picked up my CD today. I'm sorry Mikeal, but this destroys Watershed. Best album of '08 fo sho.
HESSIAN HAREM
Quote by Mike Birbiglia

Do you folks like folk?
Yeah Embodiment. Its just...wow. I mean, I heard the three songs on the myspace, but dammit. The whole album is just a wild trip. So well composed.

Nice review btw
HESSIAN HAREM
nope it appears law abiding people caught him. good riddance i say. I think the world will bes a much happier place.

Really digging bodies without organs right now. Awesome middle instrumental part.
HESSIAN HAREM
EitPFoH is such an epic song. I love the part with the samples at the end. I actually scoured the internet for that short film...
Quote by Mike Birbiglia

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by progbass
noted. And where do the samples come from?

btw, this guy is a tool

They come from this six minute film called Camera. It's about some old actor guy discussing death when his chilren bring home an old film camera thing. It's interesting, but not very exciting...

And why is he a tool..? He seems alright to me...
Quote by Mike Birbiglia

Do you folks like folk?
huh. Anderson and his short films. I'm guessing it was his idea for the samples in Hawthorne Passage as well as most of White EP?
HESSIAN HAREM
I'd say so. I know he did it for Tomorrow Will Never Come for a fact.

Also I see why this guy is a tool... He put Sculptured under progressive rock! Lol N00b.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia

Do you folks like folk?
A lot of his genres are messed up like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and Black Sabbath under Rock.
And Agalloch, Sol Invictus, Katatonia, Ulver, A Perfect Circle, and Porcupine Tree under Post Rock.

I don't think he gets post-rock... but I don't see how that makes him a tool...
Quote by Mike Birbiglia

Do you folks like folk?
Probably. I noticed that before but that requires elaboration...
Quote by Mike Birbiglia

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by BringMeTheCalm
I'd say so. I know he did it for Tomorrow Will Never Come for a fact.

Also I see why this guy is a tool... He put Sculptured under progressive rock! Lol N00b.

I would say they fall moar under Avant-garde metal if anything.
Their sound is, really out there and don't see being classified as anything else.
Oh I agree.

That was actually Progbass's myspace and I was joking, though.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia

Do you folks like folk?
Oh, I finally got Emobidiment.

It owns. On the whole I prefer it to the other two, but I still think Almond Beauty is the best thing they've done.
Anyone want to link me up to the first album?

Can't find it anywhere.

EDOT: Nevermind, I found one.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Last edited by eazy-c at Dec 2, 2008,
I had a dream that I went to the College where Don teaches and he gave my a copy of Apollo Ends because I was an English master...

"Here young one, I shall impart my wisdom upon you."
Quote by Mike Birbiglia

Do you folks like folk?
^

First time listening to Apollo Ends just now. It's bloody awesome.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
CAN YOU NOT SEE THE HOPELESSNESS ON HIS FACE?
HE'S BETTER OF DEAD, SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN BORN
WHAT NOW? WHAT CAN BECOME
BURN THE PAST AND BURN WHAT WILL BECOME

I love those vocals (as illustrated by my typing them in all caps).
Quote by Mike Birbiglia

Do you folks like folk?
well duh, how else can you illustrate how awesome things are without caps?

the solo in Between Goldberg is the best solo I have ever heard from Anderson

Discuss
HESSIAN HAREM
bump

listening to embodiment right now. I love the organ. Anyone know what kind it is? My uncle plays a hammond B3
Yeahhhh picked up Embodiment a few days ago. They have a unique sound going on and I'm quite enjoying them thus far. I suppose I shall eventually acquire their entire discography..
Matthew 5:5 - "Blessed are the meek: for they shall Beherit the earth."
sculptured.
Quote by megadeth rule
how do you trip on acid? was your shoelace untied?

Quote by perry589
Mikko, you remind me of a clogged up toilet. You're the poo that won't go away.
I haven't listend to Sculptured in ages!

I should really go have a listen to them, and a few other similar bands I've been neglecting.

I wrote a song a while ago that kinda fit in with their sound, even though I hadn't listened to them in so long, so maybe I'll get some inspiration (which is good, I haven't been bothering with anything except for acoustic songs and singing lately).
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Wow, first time listening to them here, I must say they're pretty awesome, the talking part in Taking My Body Apart sounds like something from Bioshock.

Really great band though