I'm not sure if the position of my tubes makes any difference.
OK, here's the scenario, I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, and I have a JJECC83, and two 12AX7s in the preamp spots, but does it matter which slots they go into? I know the JJ has more gain right? so If I wanted more overdrive would I put that in a certain position? By the way, none of these are paired, yes I know, they should be paired, but honestly, does this make much of a difference?

I"m another idiot who doesn't really know a whole lot about tube amps.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
Figure out which is the V1 spot- it's the main preamp tube. Check the farthest away from the power tubes to start.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Yeah you will want the initial preamp tube to be the high gain one (V1 as mentioned). V2 is likely less important and might be half gain half cathode follower. V3 is probably a phase inverter and for that you usually want an internally balanced 12AX7. Power tubes are the only ones that really need to be paired if its in a push pull configuration.
i've heard of matching preamp tubes and that it won't do anything to improve/change your tone.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Yea, I'm kinda confused as to which one is the V1 tube. There's three and they're spaced like this

0 0 _______________________ 0_________ 0 0

(From left to right) Power tube, Power tube, Preamp, Preamp, Preamp

This is a view looking into the back of the amp from the back. if that makes sense

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
V1 should be the farthest to the right, the middle preamp tube would be the phase inverter tube from what i can think.
Ok dude, I'll try that, I had the JJ in the preamp closest to the power tubes, so maybe having it on the other side will make a difference

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
last fender amp i looked at had a sticker stuck on the inside with a diagram of the tube types and what they were for.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12