ive been playing for only 5 months now and since i learned acoustic without a pick, i pretty much got used to using all my fingers. but now that i have an electric and i want to play some steve vai, i use a pick (which as for now is harder than using my fingers). so basically i want to know if anyone else out there uses fingers for an acousic and a pick for electric. is it a good idea in the long run?
I use my fingers on acoustics only on certain songs but I know people who only use their fingers for both acoustic and electric who get along great in their bands.

I actually hold a pick with my thumb, first and middle fingers.
Which is odd too.
Gear.

Ibanez Iceman IC400.

And Daron Malakians custom triangle pick.

Thats all you need to know.
Quote by Psycho4SOAD
I use my fingers on acoustics only on certain songs but I know people who only use their fingers for both acoustic and electric who get along great in their bands.

I actually hold a pick with my thumb, first and middle fingers.
Which is odd too.

saayme!! hi 5!
I play both on both depending on the song. Even when I am picking I use a finger/pick hybrid style. I hold the pick with my thumb and index finger and use the other three fingers to pluck whenever I need to. I developed it out of necessity but eventually found out that this is how jimmy page plays. The ironic thing is that the very song I developed this technique for was "Stairway to Heaven". That was 13 years ago and i've been doing it since.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
I play Metal and Classical fingerpicking pretty much 50/50 and its worked out fine for me. Its good to learn more than one type of picking style anyway, its never good to limit yourself. So I would say it's a good idea. You should practice Hybrid Picking, too.
Last edited by mz44_d at Mar 21, 2008,
I grow out specifically my ring finger's nail so that when I reinforce it with my thumb I can use it as a pick for my acoustic, otherwise I finger pick. On my electric I use ordinary picks.