Well, my band needs a bass, and the other potential bassist (he and I plan on switching off on bass duty, though he admits I' a better guitarist. He said he would be bass, yadda yadda, then says he isn't going to play bass on all the songs...) are looking at a friend of ours'/my next-door neighbor's bass. It's an electric blue Yamaha with three knobs (I'm not really a bassist but after him letting be borrow it for the day, I assume they're all volume) and three pickups (one being the two small split pick-ups).

Anyway, it's got some dents near the knobs and some weird scratches on the other side of the bolt-on neck (the metal part, if you can see on the picture, I put my hand behind it to shield glare), but nothing that screws up the finish. I've noticed that it buzzes, but it doesn't go through the amp I'm using (which isn't a bass amp, we're not bassists), though that could ust be my suck.

He wants around $100 for it, what do you think it's worth? Sorry, I can't find the model numberor anything on it. It looks like a starter bass. Here are some pictures:

Full Bass

Headstock

Pick-ups

Bridge

The Knobs (dents kind of visible here)

Back of Body

Back of headstock/tuning machines

Bolt-on neck (back, scratches fairly visible)
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
first, NEVER run a bass through a guitar amp. the low E string frequency is usually too much for the speakers to handle as they're not made for that low of a tone.

second, the bass looks worth it and really, can you argue with a $100 price tag?
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
It looks to me like an RBX170 in dark blue metallic - http://www.yamaha-europe.com/yamaha_europe/uk/10_musical_instruments/30_guitars_basses_amps/70_bass_guitars/10_bass_guitars/20_rbx_basses/80_RBX170/index.html

As shown in link above, except a different colour.

These retail new for about £119 which, according to google -
119 British pounds = 235.7866 U.S. dollars.

Btw, the scratches on the metal bit on the back are more than likely from a belt buckle.
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
Thanks guys. Yeah, I thought it was a reasonable price, I just didn't know how much he paid for it. And I know about the never run a bass through a guitar amp, I used my little crap Crate practice amp to make sure there was nothing wrong with the electronics.

So I think we'll buy it unless my friend finds another bass or something.

Out of curiousity, what the hell is that metal little circle for on the bass horn? I was playing around with it, and it spins around, but I couldn't see any use for it.

Quote by Metalcredge
It looks to me like an RBX170 in dark blue metallic - http://www.yamaha-europe.com/yamaha_europe/uk/10_musical_instruments/30_guitars_basses_amps/70_bass_guitars/10_bass_guitars/20_rbx_basses/80_RBX170/index.html

As shown in link above, except a different colour.

These retail new for about £119 which, according to google -
119 British pounds = 235.7866 U.S. dollars.

Btw, the scratches on the metal bit on the back are more than likely from a belt buckle.

Thank you very much Metalcredge, you rock
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Last edited by Chris_Parker at Mar 21, 2008,
Quote by Chris_Parker

Out of curiousity, what the hell is that metal little circle for on the bass horn? I was playing around with it, and it spins around, but I couldn't see any use for it.

You mean the strap pin? Wut
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
I think it's a great deal but the pickups look weird, are they supposed to be on slants or are the springs under the pickups screwy?
Quote by bite_the_bullet
first, NEVER run a bass through a guitar amp. the low E string frequency is usually too much for the speakers to handle as they're not made for that low of a tone.

second, the bass looks worth it and really, can you argue with a $100 price tag?

Guitar amps cannot handle the high frequencies either. Bass guitar produces lower and higher frequencies than a guitar.

That bass won't be amazing, but you can trust most of Yamaha's stuff.
Quote by fake_sk8r182
I have the RBX170 and it is honest to god the best bass that retails at sub-£200. The neck is to die for, the pickups aren't anything groundbreaking, but they still provide more versatility than your standard beginner bass. It'd be $100 well-spent my friend.

I actually really like all the RBX series, the 774 being my favourite. They are really nice bzsses and the neck on every one I have played has been more than suitable.
Quote by bite_the_bullet

mine handles it fine. i play a 5 string and it handles my low B fine. even when i was playing freak on a leash and i had the B tuned to an A. it could handle it.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
looks like a good deal to me. I noticed the pick-ups being slanted as well, maybe need to level those suckers out. Yamaha is good gear. cool colour and I wouldn't worry about the scratches on the back or around the knobs as long as there's no cracks around the neck or anything and the neck isn't warped..then have at 'er!! And just a note, please, please don't run it through a guitar amp, no matter what anybody says, its not gonna end well. Cheers!!
"If I was any cooler I'd be froze">>>Me

Epiphone Les Paul Custom,
Yamaha: FG-405
Yamaha: FX370C TBS
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz & Fretless Jazz
Vox AD30VT
Traynor DynaBass 200T
Hohner Button Accordian
Digitech RP350
The RBX170's go for about £180 new over here in the UK in a pack, I have a RBX270 and love it
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Im not sure if its a good deal.... for 80 bucks more you get a brand new one. ($179.99)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-RBX170-Bass?sku=511081

This one is prety damaged. Nothing real serious though but still... Also the pickups need serious adjustment.
If it was me i would wash some cars in the street to earn 80 bucks and get a new one.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Last edited by Mescalino at Mar 22, 2008,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It's your amp's funeral.

Well said.

Vox AD30VT
Traynor DynaBass 200T
Hohner Button Accordian
Digitech RP350
offer him $50 and a case of beer!! see if he takes it

Vox AD30VT
Traynor DynaBass 200T
Hohner Button Accordian
Digitech RP350
to the TS, $100 would be the most i would pay for this bass. btw, that is two p-ups, one split-coil neck(P) p-up, and a single coil bridge(J) p-up. the knobs are likely, volume (P), volume (J), and tone knob. i'd offer $50 to $75.
for a $100? i'd buy it before he changes his mind.
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I’ll kiss you ’cause
With the birds I’ll share...
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
i'd offer $50 to $75.

i second that, 100 is too much as for 80 bucks more you get a brand new one.

Quote by blues_man
for a $100? i'd buy it before he changes his mind.

You sound like the guy who is selling it.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra