So this might be the wrong forum, and all apologies if it is, but what are the main theoretical concepts that influence the mathcore genre (Bands like The Human Abstract, Protest the Hero, even Buckethead style (I realize he's avant garde...), etc.)? I would really like to study the finer points, but I don't even know how they do it (and I have a pretty good understanding of maj/min & modes).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
you forgot to mention the most important two, Botch and Dillinger Escape Plan.

the theory behind it is tough to explain. i guess if you want to emulate the mathcore style, just do lots of raunchy unison intervals, spastic time signatures, jazz passages, and a kick ass solo for no reason.
mathcore bands have a lot progressive, and sometimes avant-garde, elements and differ from band to band.
THA's ex-guitarist is vastly neo-classical, while PTH is more prog. metal/post-hardcore.
A general disregard for convention is good.

Ben Weinman of DEP really loves the dimineshed and wholetone scales.
....meshuggah?
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
How about some Don Caballero, Pele, or Battles?

Basically, use weird time signatures.

EDIT: and Hella, and Lightning Bolt.
Quote by Galvanise69
What about bands such as Spastic Ink, Blotted Science, Spiral Architecht, Necrophagist, Meshuggah, Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment, Zappa, and Behold... The Arctopus

DT and LTE are prog metal bands

Necrophagist is a technical death metal band.

Meshuggah is a math metal band.

They all use odd time signatures.. DT and LTE uses them less than Necrophagist and Meshuggah. Meshuggah utilizes a lot of poly-rhythms and Necrophagist has an extremely odd.. almost random approach to harmony.

DT and LTE modulate a lot and "make more sense".. for a lack of a better term.
Quote by ouchies
DT and LTE are prog metal bands

Necrophagist is a technical death metal band.

Meshuggah is a math metal band.

They all use odd time signatures.. DT and LTE uses them less than Necrophagist and Meshuggah. Meshuggah utilizes a lot of poly-rhythms and Necrophagist has an extremely odd.. almost random approach to harmony.

DT and LTE modulate a lot and "make more sense".. for a lack of a better term.

there are too many sub-genres nowadays... I'm so confused.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
^Yeah, but making the distinctions is often difficult and not even practical, as a band can cover many subgenres and subsubgenres exist. For instance, Megadeth is a thrash band, but they're also a bit of a Prog Metal band. Additionally, math metal is a subsubgenre of prog metal.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Yeah, but making the distinctions is often difficult and not even practical, as a band can cover many subgenres and subsubgenres exist. For instance, Megadeth is a thrash band, but they're also a bit of a Prog Metal band. Additionally, math metal is a subsubgenre of prog metal.

Hmm. I dunno, I usually don't even think about it. I'm sure you're right though and personal opinion does affect how one categorizes one band.
I dont see the reason to pigeon hole genres and sub genres and sub sub genres when its all just music. This discussion seems a bit trivial.
Quote by mikeman
I dont see the reason to pigeon hole genres and sub genres and sub sub genres when its all just music.

Genres are a way of classifying the conventions used in music. They're a good thing.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Sub Genres = Important
Sub Sub Genres = Stupid

Mathcore is just Hardcore mixed in with Progressive Rock. If you mix it with Progressive Metal, you get Progressive Metalcore (BTBAM). It's really about perspective how you seperate them.

DT/LTE are a bit more "musical" and "accessible".
Necrophagist is more "br00tal".
Meshuggah is more "either you like it or you don't".
Quote by Galvanise69
I like meshuggah, I recon their rhythm aspect smashes most things in their universe to bits, but I think Id like them more if they were more melodic, I know there a metal band and all, but still

Agreed.
have you read any of their lyrics?
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by Galvanise69
I was pretty empressed with spastic ink and spiral arcitecht, I like the guitars in necrophagist, but I hate the vocals..

The problem with this type of music, as technical as it al is, it doesnt (for me) have any emotional stuff.

Then why are they one of your favorite bands?
Quote by Galvanise69
I was pretty empressed with spastic ink and spiral arcitecht, I like the guitars in necrophagist, but I hate the vocals..

The problem with this type of music, as technical as it al is, it doesnt (for me) have any emotional stuff.

ANGER
If you have to ask, I don't think you'll be able to pull something like this off.
A.J.Minnet (sp?) is amazing. Not sure how THA will sound like now without the amazing melodic-highly-classically-influenced-yet-not-sounding-neo-classical-heavy-metal genre with them. Is there any method to creating mathcore?
My Gear

Guitar
DEAN Razorback Shards
Wesley crappy cheap thing

Amps
Cheap Crappy Freedom Practice AMP 15watts
VOX AD50 Valtronix