Hey,
In the rather near future, I plan on swapping out the 10" speakers in my peavey classic 50 4x10. Just for something different and more "vintagey". The stock blue marvels, although they're broken in well, don't sound as "alive" as I would wish.
I want to spend as little as possible on each speaker, since I will be on a tight budget (I have to buy an attenuator and a guitar for heavier styles of music too over the summer). Don't worry, the amp already has good tubes and such. I was thinking some of the weber signature alnicos (what is the main tonal difference between alnico and ceramic magnet speakers?). Which are about 40 bucks each for 10"ers. Warehouse speakers has "Veteran 10's", which is supposed to be like the Veteran 30 (the vintage 30 clones) which are about 30 bucks, but i'm skeptical about the 10"er's quality, since it has a quite small magnet.
Also, does anyone else know of some quite cheap, yet pretty good speakers?

Thanks!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I'd quite like to hear the 10" version of the Greenback Celestion have brought out. If it lives up to its promises, defintely a good way to go.
The Weber alnicos sound like a safe bet, I haven't had a chance to try much of his stuff over here in England but the reputation speaks for itself really.
Eminence also do a good range of 10-inchers, and they're pretty reasonably priced too.
Kyle's got you covered.

That's why I don't recommend the Classic 50 4x10. The speakers really aren't that great, and it's really expensive to upgrade four speakers instead of two.

I'd strongly suggest that you not let price be your limiting factor. If you replace them with something cheap, odds are that you'll be looking to upgrade again in the not too distant future. Weber and Eminence both have a pretty wide selection. Maybe look into mixing and matching pairs of different speakers.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^That's what I was thinking too.
I've been recommended to get speakers with more low end to put on the bottom row, and some which have good treble response on the top row.
I may put off buying another guitar (it'd be nice to have a backup, and something with humbuckers), but if I had too, i'd probably get a set of Eminence Redcoats (not sure which model yet)
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^ I put a Red Fang in my AC30. Great speaker!
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^Now that I think of it, that's probably what i'll end up doing.
I'll probably end up getting one of the Redcoats. Not sure which one exactly?
Which one would be best for my amp (open back)? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to speakers, but they need to be 16 ohm or 8 ohm.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Check the back of you amp or the manuel, it should say the ohmage. Also you may want to have a look into Jensen speakers, im looking into getting a set of four for my 4x10.
The blue marvels are 16 ohm.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Yeah, but they could be wired a number of ways, you have a peavey classic 50 right? I'll try check what ohmage they are
^Thanks. I want to go for a vintagey, bluesey tone. I want something which would be considered "british voiced" like the Eminence redcoats to match my british voiced amp.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^That's what I was thinking. How would I go about doing that?
I dunno, I like the 10 inch speakers. I think they're more focused to the mid and treble frequencies, which is good for me. Those Jensen Mods look nice. I think I may try out those.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
It's just a crazy idea. Get the old baffle out, take measurments, cut a new one the same size with two 12" holes. Simple, in theory.
DOnt forget that you can sell the old speakers to make up some ground off the price of the new ones.. Probally a better idea to get a good quality one...

Although those warehouse speakers dont sound too bad...
^That's what I was thinking.
Not sure how much to sell them though.
They're all broken in though, that may be a plus for selling them.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Mar 21, 2008,