Here's what I want to do.

Build a simple solid state amplifier. That's it.

Things I have:

TDA2030A class a/b amplifier IC pdf info here
Two JRC4556D 8-pin chips
One MPF102 JFET
3 x 50k linear mini-pots, 1 x 20k linear mini-pot (not a big deal to get more/different resistance rated pots, just, if I can use these why not?)
a handful of neat 5mm LEDS
some SPST and DPDT mini toggle switches
already have a practice amp enclosure that this will be going into (debadged! nice!)
120V 60hz to (2 x 15v 0.5A) transformer

I'm planning the stages for building this amp. Which means, I haven't figured out the final details on the schematics. Right now it's planned something along the lines of a Noisy Cricket (with mods) and the TDA2030A for a small wattage amp.

I listed some parts I have on hand (most the IC's used but tested and in good working condition) but that doesn't mean I plan on or need to use all of them lol, just listing them for reference as 'on hand' in case a really neat idea or schematic might use them.

any ideas?

realistically, I don't want to spend more than $15 - $20 to get it finished. purchasing regulators are figured into that.

I will have more time tonight and in the next couple days to work on my prototype schematics, but figured I'd come in here and get some advice from the people who have built more amplifiers than I have.

Welcome to any suggestions! Another Idea I had was using one or more MOSFET 20w IRF510 transistors because their cheap. Still getting my experience and knowledge base built up, so although many things look 'cool' or sound 'neat', I don't have practical application experience for different parts -

Jon
STUFFZ:
SAGA ST10, IBANEZ(s): '96 ZR140BK (korea), '96 RX20 (indonesia)
Danelectro Cool Cat CC1 Chorus
Digitech Bad Monkey
Behringer BX1800A (180w 12" aluminum cone)
FOR SALE: Fender Champion 110 (25w RMS combo 10" with tank reverb)
the power supply is 2 x 15v at .5A. there are two red leads, and one black ground.

wired together, they would make 15v at 1A correct? (and both share a ground?) how would you reduce that for a 12v Ruby? My schematic I'm drawing is a ruby with tone control and adjusted jfet.

Radioshack P/N 276-1771 (7812 12VDC regulator at 1 amp) hoping this might work with the power supply.
STUFFZ:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by jedilley
the power supply is 2 x 15v at .5A. there are two red leads, and one black ground.

wired together, they would make 15v at 1A correct? (and both share a ground?) how would you reduce that for a 12v Ruby? My schematic I'm drawing is a ruby with tone control and adjusted jfet.

Radioshack P/N 276-1771 (7812 12VDC regulator at 1 amp) hoping this might work with the power supply.

Wrong. You have a +/- 15V supply - one winding will swing positive while the other swings negative. Wire them together and you'll get nothing.
EDIT: Wait, now I'm not 100% sure. I'm fairly convinced that I'm right though.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
I got it - I have a set of desktop speakers I tore apart for spare parts. The cat chewed the speaker wires, but everything else being fine, there's a usable power jack and 9v 600mA wall adapter. That's like 5.4w capable right? totally more than enough for this circuit.
STUFFZ:
Digitech Bad Monkey
On your transformer, use the black wire for ground, and connect each red wire to it's own rectifier diode (1N4001 or equiv.) to the anode (no bar) side. Connect the cathode ends of the diodes together, which will provide you with a full-wave rectified 15V at .5A. 1/2 amp should be enough for what you want to do.

Use an LM7812 regulator. Follow this schematic, but substitute the LM7812 pinout, and omit the 10uF and resistors. Make sure the voltage of the capacitors is higher than 16V as well, probably around 25V. You probably want to heat sink the regulator, also.