So I joined a metalcore band with a good friend who is surprisingly good at drums and another guitarist who just blows me out of the water. I feel a little inadequate because metalcore has a lot of stepping, or pedaling if you will, in it and I can do basic rhythms with it and stuff and play a lot of As I Lay Dying type riffs but I just can't write any riffs using this technique and some of the rhythms are a bit complex so I have a two part question. One, are there any good riffs I can practice so that my stepping can get better and I can play more complex rhythms, or exercises for that matter? Two, how can I write riffs using this technique because it comes a little hard for me, I'm more of a chordy rhythm player than a technical metal player but I'm willing to adapt because I like the music and the band. Thanks much .
What's stepping exactly?
When I read the title, I thought you were a drummer or you didn't know how to use pedals.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
He means stepping on an effects pedal.

EDIT: When ever Im trying to do anything musical involving multiple parts (sustain on piano, effects pedals, etc) I try to make using the effect seem like actually make a musical note. So instead of thinking of turning on your wah, or distortion, think of that exact step as PART OF the riff. See what I mean?
Last edited by zeppelinfreak51 at Mar 22, 2008,
Quote by zeppelinfreak51
He means stepping on an effects pedal.

EDIT: When ever Im trying to do anything musical involving multiple parts (sustain on piano, effects pedals, etc) I try to make using the effect seem like actually make a musical note. So instead of thinking of turning on your wah, or distortion, think of that exact step as PART OF the riff. See what I mean?

I'll keep that in mind thanks but that's not quite what I mean .
Actually I meant riffs where you come back to a certain note to kind of keep a rhythm for example:
E------
B------
G------
D------
A--8-7-
D-0-0-0

So if there's some exercise/riff I can work on that'll improve this skill that would help . Also how to be more creative with this technique because I tend to stay on the 8, 7, 5 frets on the A and D strings. Thanks.
Oh, you mean pedal tones... Try branching out of using that too much.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
^ Regardless, he needs to know how to do it better.

As for riffs there's the usual MOP.

|--------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-------------------------------------------------------------4------|
|-------------------------------------------------------------4------|
|-----2-----3-----4-----3-----2-2-----2-----3-----4-----3-----2------|
|-0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1-----0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1--------|

It's all downpicked.
Ooooh I hate those!

Lol... been trying to get good at that for some time now.

But at least now I know what its called.

Thanks above
What if I alternative pick |-0-1-|? It just requires a little string skip and I like how it sounds. . . .
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
Deadly Sinners by Three Inches of Blood and Inferno both have sweet pedal tone riffs.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead