Ok, so I've started writing this song, just the guitar part at the moment but i've quickly got stuck, probably due to this being the first thing i've tried to write.

Anyway this is what i have so far, Any idea on where i can go next?
It's loosely based on G Locrian in that I just tried to find a good sounding arpeggio from it.
Last edited by Ziggums at Mar 23, 2008,
Approach this as G minor with heavy use of the flat 5. From here, just go into some G minor riffing.

While I appreciate your boldness, picking Locrian as the scale for your first song is pretty difficult. If you don't come up with some stuff, save this song and start writing some easier stuff until you develop your songwriting abilities.
Thanks, I wanted to write something which had a strange sound if you get what I mean, Tense and scary but also slightly macabre. Basically what an evil clown would write if they had a guitar
Quote by Ziggums
Thanks, I wanted to write something which had a strange sound if you get what I mean, Tense and scary but also slightly macabre. Basically what an evil clown would write if they had a guitar
What an evil clown would write if he had a guitar - so naturally you would pick locrian.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
1) 2)
let ring--------------------| let ring----------------|
e-------------10------------------|---------------------------
h--------11-------11-------------|---------------------------
g----14----------------14--------|---------------1-----------
d-0--------------------------------|--------0--------0----0--
a-----------------------------------|-----4----4--------4-----
e-----------------------------------|--2-----------------------

Some cool scary/mysterious sounding riffs
Quote by Ziggums

The song "The Skeezix Dilemma" by Tourniquet has a section which sounds exactly like an evil clown
Okay, I now have this, which is about to go into the first verse I guess but It sounds unfinished at the end which kinda sounds spooky which I want but i just need some help with the Verse. Should i keep it simple and repeat the same thing or have each verse dufferent?

[EDIT]

Sorry if i'm making no sense :S
Quote by Ziggums
Bump?

Also, Why is locrian so hard to use?

Modes are harmonically unstable to begin with, and Locrian, being the only one with a diminished tonality, is even less stable. The diminished tonic chord will naturally want to resolve to another place, and the most commonly associated chord with the Locrian mode (m7b5) is extremely unstable because of the dissonance in the chord; it wants to resolve elsewhere. This is why it's hard to write passages in pure Locrian for any length of time.
Quote by Ziggums
Bump?

Also, Why is locrian so hard to use?

Because it has a dissonant tonic chord. You shouldn't be worrying about modes yet.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
yeah, writing in modes means you'll only have one or two chords that sound good under your riffing... stick to major and minor for beginner songwriting... but that doesn't mean you can't just throw in that locrian note once in a while if it sounds good.

but you'll be frustrated trying to write an entire chord progression that works with one mode.
Don't double post. We can't help you with anything without knowing the context, the rhythm, and what sound you're going for.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Don't double post. We can't help you with anything without knowing the context, the rhythm, and what sound you're going for.

Okay fair enough. For the sound i'm going for Rock, and I want something that sounds kinda tense and Dark. For the rhythm I thought that having something quiet irregular wuold perhaps make it sound more strange but I don't want anything too fast which i wouldn't be able to play well.
Quote by Ziggums
Okay fair enough. For the sound i'm going for Rock, and I want something that sounds kinda tense and Dark. For the rhythm I thought that having something quiet irregular wuold perhaps make it sound more strange but I don't want anything too fast which i wouldn't be able to play well.

That still doesn't help. The tab you posted could be played any one of a thousand different ways, and the backing will effect how each of those ways sounds. You need to make a recording of the backing and the melody.
Quote by Archeo Avis
That still doesn't help. The tab you posted could be played any one of a thousand different ways, and the backing will effect how each of those ways sounds. You need to make a recording of the backing and the melody.

Ok, will be a while though, cheers anyway
i hope this post is in the right place ! please dont ban me if its not
Damien Redmond - "Grade 8 electric guitar" -"Grade 5 theory "
"Licentiate Diploma of the London college of music "
Okay, I decided to Change from G Locrian to G Aeolian, which has given it a sadder depressing sound which isn't what i wanted originally but sounds good. I've just got the Chorus/Verses left to write so does anybody know How i can write a chord progression using G Aeolian?

If it's I ii° bIII iv v bVI bVII, Then does this mean i have a Major Chord, Then Diminished, Then Major, Minor, Minor, Major then one more Major chord?
Cheers
Last edited by Ziggums at Mar 23, 2008,
hi Z ,
thanks and you are welcome, looking forward to hearing it on your debut cd !
How i can write a chord progression using G Aeolian?
if you harmonise the "interval formual" ,
you can do so like this :
"Im7 IIm7b5 bIIImaj7 "
then ....
"IVm7 Vm7 "
and ....
"bIVmaj7 bVII dominant 7 "
My suggestion would be to try and anaylise a chord sequence/s from a "system of a down song " if you can get the songbook that will really help .
start with about 4 bars and see what you come up with ?
Damien Redmond - "Grade 8 electric guitar" -"Grade 5 theory "
"Licentiate Diploma of the London college of music "
Okay, I've got a chord progression written that I like, It fits with the song, but i've noticed that up until now i've only been writing the lead guitar part. Is it possible to use Modes/Scales on Bass guitar? I assume you can but i'm not sure.
Quote by Ziggums
Okay, I've got a chord progression written that I like, It fits with the song, but i've noticed that up until now i've only been writing the lead guitar part. Is it possible to use Modes/Scales on Bass guitar? I assume you can but i'm not sure.

It's possible, obviously. Modes and scales aren't specific to any instrument, they're specific groupings of notes that clearly can be applied to anything. If you want to use modes, however, make sure the chording establishes the mode that you intend to use.