some questions for thought......

*how will record labels deal with the downloading problem?
*will it be harder for musicians to make a living in the future (as a result of illegal downloading)?
*what is going to be the next groundbreaking genre of music?
*is guitar music ever going to die out?
*will this decade be remembered for any particular genre of music? if so, what?

feel free to add more questions
1. They won't; in the story that's on the frontpage of UG someone from the RIAA (If I remember correctly) even admitted that no matter what people will be able to download.

2. No, it's a known fact that most musicians make the vast majority of their money from touring, and free music can even help a band (Free publicity).

3. I don't know, it hasn't been invented yet.

4. Probably. When, I don't know.

5. Crappy hip-hop.
Quote by LinkManDX
1. They won't; in the story that's on the frontpage of UG someone from the RIAA (If I remember correctly) even admitted that no matter what people will be able to download.

i agree with that, but do you see any way that musicians are going to make money from recorded music in the future....or is all income going to come from touring, merchandise, licensing in tv/films etc etc?
Quote by agreth_3rd
i agree with that, but do you see any way that musicians are going to make money from recorded music in the future....or is all income going to come from touring, merchandise, licensing in tv/films etc etc?

The latter, as that is only a minor deviation from the current state.

More and more artists are going to cut ties with their record companies and record the music themselves, and then distribute it themselves.
Quote by agreth_3rd

That's more or less how it is now, musicians get hardly any money from album sales due to most of it going to the label.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
it wouldn't surprise me if music stores just had usb ports and credit card scanners so you just go in with an mp3 player and put an album straight on it.
Quote by Seth Shadows
dum, da num, dun dahnahanhanhanahnahhhhh *E5 / D#5* dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn chuggg chuggggg DUN, DAH NAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Quote by nine01n
why did the woman cross the road?
who cares, why the hell is she out of the kitchen?
well they dont care anymore about free downloading unless they are greedy. It will be easier unless the band does not tour. No clue. The guitar will die eventually but it will be a long time after the next great instrument... i there is one. And it may be remembered for the more unknown bands who will be made popular after the artist die.
The music industry will always suck and really take away from the art of music. I really do hate the music industry.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
They won't

*will it be harder for musicians to make a living in the future (as a result of illegal downloading)?
No. Gigs, promotion, all that stuff still earns money. Do you see popular artists starving, even though no-one buys their CD's?

I see a grunge revival, and more "jazzy pop", like Amy Winehouse, coming in the next 5 or so years

Not in the near future. But it will change dramatically.

Indie rock and emo (which everyone says is not actual emo)
I think Trent Reznor and Radiohead have found the way forward. Either let people pay what they want or give some away free and charge $5 for the rest
They probably won't. People come up with smarter ways of doing it

I hope not

Maybe something like the 80's Ska scene crossed over with Techno. Imagine Enter Shikari, Pendulum, and then Madness, The Clash and The Specials all mixed into one. :P:

No, for the sole purpose that as long as CD's/recordings still exist of the songs, people will listen to them, and people will want to play them.

The explosion of Emo and the birth of Metalcore. And all of the sh!tty X-factor pop bollocks that seems to completely rape the charts.
Do you think we'll have another great guitar hero like Jimi Hendrix or Van Halen in the future?

I think it would be nice, but guitar music has spread in so many directions that it's hard to have just one hero. There are plenty candidates today, but it's hard to pick one that's completely revolutionised the instrument.
how long do you think it will take for the majors to admit defeat?

What do you mean by Majors? As in record labels?

Because if it's pop music you're on about, they won't ever admit defeat because there will always be the market for 7-13 year old children who want to hear the same, repetitive music over and over again to be "cool" with the clicks. Until you reach 13, you'll go with the flow.
Quote by agreth_3rd
new question:

how long do you think it will take for the majors to admit defeat?

Until it's so glaringly obvious to the normal person that they simply can't do anything else.
The business of selling CD's will fade due to downloading music. Eventually all music will just be released to the internet, but people will have to buy it.
Quote by Slinov
What do you mean by Majors? As in record labels?

Because if it's pop music you're on about, they won't ever admit defeat because there will always be the market for 7-13 year old children who want to hear the same, repetitive music over and over again to be "cool" with the clicks. Until you reach 13, you'll go with the flow.

yeah, i meant major record labels. and i also meant, how long do you think it will take for all downloading to be made legal.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
The business of selling CD's will fade due to downloading music. Eventually all music will just be released to the internet, but people will have to buy it.

True, but you'll still have CD's for collectors and 'vintage' people.

Even today, in some large music stores, I've seen new vinyls of contemporary artists on sale. If vinyl LP's are still being manufactured, it means someone out there buys them.

ie Audiophiles, who buy tube amplifiers and kevlar speakers and hook them up with solid gold cable
Quote by LuthierofTexas

but why would people have to buy it if it is available for free online? are you implying that you think record labels will figure out a sollution to illegal downloading?

They won't. Labels that can't find other ways of making money will die. Downloading will always continue.

No. Musicians will still thrive. Products, however, will die as they always do. American Idol winners, for example, are merely products of a record company.

Who cares?

Hopefully. The guitar is a great instrument, but it's time popular music found some new instruments to base their tracks on.

It will be remembered for which ever type was most popular. Pop-punk and hip-hop will define our musical generation.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation