2 5%
Rusty Cooley
0 0%
Yngwie Malmsteen
3 7%
OTHER.
11 27%
Voters: 41.
which of the follow do you think owns of the following in YOUR IMO and tell why?
Last edited by The Arch Enemy at Mar 21, 2008,
I think Yngwie is the 'best'. I know he is very repetitive but in terms of his playing and technique - it's flawless.

Although Paul Gilbert comes a very close second.

TBH, i don't like the word Best - all of the guitarists there are great.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
joe satriani

nuff said
Quote by RizzoWashburn
Oh, and this is the internet. I have the right to be a douchebag. Fuck off.
Out of those listed, it's easily Paul Gilbert for me, but Joe Walsh is not to be forgotten!

As far as technical capabilities go I'd say Paul Gilbert, though.
That one's tough

Paul Gibert
Wrote some pretty cool songs, has mad picking and pentatonic skills

John Petrucci
Very distinctive melodic style, great at alternate picking, sweeping and legato.

Jason Becker
Don't know him very well

Marty Friedman
Unique and unusual style, strange note choice

Steve Vai
Really 'speaks' with the guitar, his music always has some sort of spiritual element to it

Joe Satriani
Knows his modes, rocks hard, has mad legato and whammy bar skills

MAB
Shreds on two necks simultaneously. Nuff said.

Rusty Cooley
Fast as FUCK

Yngwie Malmsteen
Pioneer of Neo-classical shred, along with Randy Rhoads. Good sweep picker

Conclusion: they're all awesome in their own way. I can't choose just one.
Quote by kyle62
Joe Bonamassa and Jeff Beck should be on there, seems a little one-sided. The 'best solo guitarist' I've ever heard is probably Wes Montgomery.

I'm sorry I don't have every single solo guitarist up there..oh wait maybe thats why I put up "OTHER".
"best" in what way? Technical skills? in that case, i would say Gilbert or Malmsteen. But in musicality, i would have to say Vai or Wes Montgomery, maybe someone like Scofield or DiMeola. And yea, you are missing a whole lot of ppl. Its pretty much all metal/rock/neo-classical, and no prog/fusion/jazz players. DiMeola's electric stuff is amazing.
i voted other, seeing as you forgot some very good solo guitarists.
such as....
Robert Johnson, Son House, Scrapper Blackwell, Albert King, B.B King, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, and John Lee Hooker.
and i choose them, simply because they rock. seriously.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by minibrowny
1)Best is subjective.
2)Lots of guitarists should be there that aren't and don't deserve to be 'other'.
3)Get out.

God, shut up.I sorry that UG has a limit of 10 polls you fool!

It is my Thread so STFU AND GTFO!
Paul Gilbert mainly because i love Scarified. Anyways all of them are awesome guitarists. I just pciked the one which came to my mind first as a crazy soloist.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Quote by The Arch Enemy
God, shut up.I sorry that UG has a limit of 10 polls you fool!

It's not so much that, its just that your choice is very one sided in mainly shred etc, and considering the thousands of guitarists worthy of mention, this thread fails by virtue of not physically being able to function, as there aren't enough options other than having 'other'.

Repeat number 3.
Quote by minibrowny
It's not so much that, its just that your choice is very one sided in mainly shred etc, and considering the thousands of guitarists worthy of mention, this thread fails by virtue of not physically being able to function, as there aren't enough options other than having 'other'.

Repeat number 3.

You know what these are solo guitarists that I know and I grew up with and are my style of music.If you don't like my choices, you have full power to make you own thread and poll.Don't nag on me becuase I don't know every single solo guitarist out there.BTW if you don't like my poll or thread and you think it fails then don't let the "go back one page" button hit you on the ass.
each guitarist is good for their own thing.

my personal favorite would be Mattias "IA" Eklundh
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Quote by sashki
So did Gilbert, Becker, Vai, Friedman, Petrucci and Rusty Cooley at some point in there career.

I think MAB and Yngwie did, too.

What is Dimebag most known for? Pantera.

The solo guitarists I picked are best known for there solo work and as well as bands work but mostly solo work.
Quote by kyle62
Most known for? Getting shot, unfortunately. He still had some decent chops, though.

Don't be prick please...
wtf??

where is clapton??

his solo work is up there with those guys...

he plays with anyone and everyone it seems...

he'd get my vote
Quote by thundrstruk891
do EXACTLY what rock savior said.

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD
^^ X2,00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
Quote by kyle62
Most known for? Getting shot, unfortunately. He still had some decent chops, though.

Thread closed though, read the rules (the no vs threads part and the do a search part) and you've also been warned (arch enemy) for flaming.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure