Some questions on my first build which is a jazz bass 4 string. realising i new very little since getting into the idea of making my own equipment i have lots to ask..

1. when im getting pots does it matter what kind i get for instance theres like 500k 250 k can i get any.

2. do i have to get different pots for different things ie volume, tone.

3. under the bridge there was a wire on my p bass is that an earth and do all basses need them.

4. Will most guitar shops do the wiring for me or do i have to do it myself.

5. if i repaint a guitar will i have to put new sheilding and what kind is the best..

6. if i crack the wood or break a bit off is it ok to use something like polyfiller or something to fill in the gaps.

7. will a shop want me to have all the parts if i ask them to do the electronics..

8. is there such a thing as a pre amp? and will i need one with 3 volume and 1 tone and 1 toggle switch

9. ho w do you work out what capacitor you need on your tone control

those are a couple of questions i have so far i will probably edit these thread as i discover more things i dont know but any help would be great.
THANKS

EDIT:
after learning that i do need diiferent pots for different things ie volume,tone can anyone tell me what kind or a make i can get to do this or the diffeerence i need. i want 3 volume 1 tone and a toggle switch
Last edited by fatgoogle at Mar 22, 2008,
if i were you, i would look into getting one of the kit guitars rather than spending a load of money on individual parts as its your first build.

just use google
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
Quote by fatgoogle
Some questions on my first build which is a jazz bass 4 string. realising i new very little since getting into the idea of making my own equipment i have lots to ask..

1. when im getting pots does it matter what kind i get for instance theres like 500k 250 k can i get any.
Yes, check out the Fender site's tech specs: http://www.fender.com/support/wiring_diagrams_parts_lists.php

2. do i have to get different pots for different things ie volume, tone.

Yes, see link above.

3. under the bridge there was a wire on my p bass is that an earth and do all basses need them.

Yes.

4. Will most guitar shops do the wiring for me or do i have to do it myself.

Yes. But buy a $12 soldering kit from Radio Shack, practice for an hour and you'll be fine.

5. if i repaint a guitar will i have to put new sheilding and what kind is the best..

See the Ultimate Finishing sticky!

6. if i crack the wood or break a bit off is it ok to use something like polyfiller or something to fill in the gaps.

Grain filler.

7. will a shop want me to have all the parts if i ask them to do the electronics..

Probably, unless they sell the stuff.

those are a couple of questions i have so far i will probably edit these thread as i discover more things i dont know but any help would be great.
THANKS

Dude, just listen to Ippon and you should be fine, he knows his stuff and has helped me and everyone else a ton.
Quote by LP Addict
you dont need a bridge ground if you have active pickups i believe.

google search guitar building templates. some guy sells template kits that are an absolute dream to work off of.

http://www.guitarplansunlimited.com

He's a really nice guy and the prices are fair.
He even puts little side notes for reference!

Good luck
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.