so I went out to buy some new strings for my 5-string, but I wanted a high C instead of a low B now, so I bought D'Adarrio ProSteels (.105, .085, .070, .050) and for the high C i bought a D'Addarion nickel wound (.045).

my questions are:

The .045 gauge string is meant for a G note (so it says), will it be a problem tuning it to a C?

Will it matter that the .045 string is nickel wound and the rest are steel?

I would just put the strings on and find out, but im not able to until tomorrow so I'm wondering incase i should return something

thanks
... why not just buy a set of 5 strings with that tuning?

Using a different or various style of strings can cause problems...

But no, it shouldn't matter a whole lot, beyond how it feels and how it looks.
^5 sets don't come with a high C string. You could buy a 6 string set but it adds a lot of money. The .45 should be fine although it might be a little thick and detune itself. Try it out and see. Nothing bad will happen.
The O.45 will be quite tight tuned to C, the feel will be out compared to the rest of the strings, you would have been better off with a 0.30.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by d K A p S
so I went out to buy some new strings for my 5-string, but I wanted a high C instead of a low B now, so I bought D'Adarrio ProSteels (.105, .085, .070, .050) and for the high C i bought a D'Addarion nickel wound (.045).

my questions are:

The .045 gauge string is meant for a G note (so it says), will it be a problem tuning it to a C?

Will it matter that the .045 string is nickel wound and the rest are steel?

I would just put the strings on and find out, but im not able to until tomorrow so I'm wondering incase i should return something

thanks

Get .105 E .85 A .65 D .45 G .30-32 C Those are standard. Get all the same strings.

.45 gauge is way to big for high C, it will make the string way tighter than the rest. Go for around .30-32
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
^.30 is really weak sounding. I would say at least a .35 and maybe even a .40 for the added oomph. I admit that .45 is a little overboard but .30 is a little under.

Although possible I'd be reluctent to tune a 0.40 up to C dur to the resulting uneven tension.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
turned out that it is too tight of a tension for a C, lol.. good thing the guy gave me that one for free, ill pick up a .35 probly
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I guess I'll find out when I try it next. I really love the high C but hate the poop sound it has. I could see potential tension problems with the .40 though... hmm food for thought...

Although for what its worth I use a 0.55 for my G; so to some degree does go a bit against what I'm saying
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn