Hey i was wondering if anyone could help me,
i've decied to try and restring and set up my guitar to try and get it into drop C,
after taking the strings off and on further inspecting the guitar i think that the floyd rose is sitting somewhat crooked on the pegs that it rests on, it looks out of line with the pickups and the neck i'm not sure if this is normal because if it is, it doesn't make sense. also looking at it the neck looks as though its crooked, i dont really know if it really is cooked, or what to do because i dont really want to waste a perfectly good set of strings on it if im going to have to strip em back off again to fix the neck and the floyd rose :S .
any suggestions?

thanks
Mitch

(and by the way i have taken some pics if those help, i won't post them yet unless someone wants to try and help out.)
id like to see the pictures to better understand it, thanks
Gear:

Ibanez RGT42DX
Boss MT-2
if you wouldnt mind could i email them to you because theyre too big to put on the page as html thing and it would probs be easier, private message me with it if you dont want people to spam you and all that crap
Mitch this is a problem that is not solvable without pics
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
lol yeh i realise that now but if you wanna try and help same deal as justin pm me your email and i'll send you em
you can upload them to photobucket.com then post the image link here. or pm them to me and i will upload them
Gear:

Ibanez RGT42DX
Boss MT-2
No offense Mitch but it makes life much easier for the people wanting to help you if you just post em' instead of them having to PM you for them. It's not like you're going to be spammed over a Floyd Rose problem...
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
I see what ya mean. If you have the strings on is it even or is it still crooked. It might be crooked now since no tension is on
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
well is didnt seem crooked with the strings on but when i pushed the bar up to the pegs to check if it was crooked it just didnt seem to line up its really odd, (sorry if im no use at explaining it lol)
if you need anymore pics i could go take some more in a minute, ive got the guitar all over my kitchen table haha lol
anyways im off to bed now, so sorry if i dont reply, i will come back to check in the morning, thanks to you people who tried to help
Clearly you have no idea how a Floyd Rose works. Theres springs attached to it in the back, and the tension is obviously factory set so the tension of the strings tuned to standard E causes the trem to float strait. Now obviously if you take the strings off theres no counter tension to the strings, and the trem is going to sink down.

The proper (easiest) way to change strings on these is to do them one at a time. Its going to harder to tighten the lock bolts if they're sunk down in the body. Finally, if you're dramatically changing tuning, like drop C, theres going to be less tension on the trem from the stings, so its going to sink a little into the body. You then have to take the back plate off, and adjust the claw (loosen the screws) so theres less tension coming from the springs. Its a bit of guess and test. Its pretty obvious when you think about it. Have fun I guess.
thanks decadence, not meaning to sound rude but i do know how a floyd rose works i just decided that it would be easier to sort out the tension by loosening the claw whilest all the strings were off because the heads on the screws are sheared off from when i bought it, the pillock in the shop used a screwdriver that was too small, also i wanted to give the whole thing a good clean because it hasnt been used for a while and theres lots of dust and gunk built up on it.
It doesn't look like it's in line with everything because the saddles are set at different places for intonation. If you look at the edge of the actual bridge it is where it should be.

It seems just a little bit off probably due to a flaw in the pickguard or something.

The post on the right seems to be closer to the electronics, but the bridge ends up being even.
Ok I see what you mean by 'crooked'. I can't imagine the trem magically became crooked like that, it must have been that way out of the factory, because it looks like its sitting perfectly on the posts, and those are factory set into the wood, and extremely hard to take out of the body. From the looks of it the posts were put in the guitar crooked due to horrendously cheap manufacturing. Unless theres a problem with the functionality of the trem, or your intonation is messed up, I wouldn't worry about it.

Oh, and I also really love that sunburst Ibanez in your profile.
Last edited by decadence5423 at Mar 22, 2008,
I have a question, for those more knowledgeable than I

If you have your guitar in, say, D Standard with 11 gauge strings, in an OFR

what would you do to make that Drop C?
thanks ketiov, i think i've cracked it now, the pegs arent set wonkey at all the pick guard is slightly short on the opposite side to the bar so it gives the appearance of it being crooked, i took the whole bridge out of the body and found that the pegs are in perfect line with the body. and i've managed to set it up in drop C now although the floatation is slightly out still, it just took alot of mucking about with and i've straightened up the neck a bit as well, now plays really well again.

decadence, what do you mean? "Oh, and I also really love that sunburst Ibanez in your profile"? i don't have an ibanez on my profile me thinks. lol
Delanoir do make it drop C from D standard all youve got to do is tune the bottom string (D) to what is meant to be the D string if it were in standard which should be a C. youll probably have to unlock the top nuts and re tune it and there will be alot of fine tuning involved, i wouldnt reccomend that you have it so that you tune from D to C just on the bottom fine tuner as they become worn very quickly and then really stiff to turn like mine, i made that mistake lol
Quote by Corrupted~Soul
tdecadence, what do you mean? "Oh, and I also really love that sunburst Ibanez in your profile"? i don't have an ibanez on my profile me thinks. lol

My profile :P
ah lol that makes more sense
and my guitar definatly works fine now i used it today for my band practice
now my ears hurt though lol
Quote by Corrupted~Soul
thanks decadence, not meaning to sound rude but i do know how a floyd rose works i just decided that it would be easier to sort out the tension by loosening the claw whilest all the strings were off because the heads on the screws are sheared off from when i bought it, the pillock in the shop used a screwdriver that was too small, also i wanted to give the whole thing a good clean because it hasnt been used for a while and theres lots of dust and gunk built up on it.

for future reference, you HAVE to sort out the balancing of the bridge when the strings are on...if there are no strings then there's nothing to balance!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com