so i just bought an epiphone valve junior and i tried it out in the store and it was really cool so i got it but they gave me a different one then the one i tried out (they're both used.) So i take it home and play and whenever i crank it up like past halfway whenever i play alot of the lower notes it plays the notes on the amp but it also has this weird rattley sort of sound (hard to explain but i can post up a sound clip later.) So is this normal is this just how its supposed to sound or is it bad??? if so how do i fix, im also just thinking of taking it back and having them give me the amp i played at the store.

oh yeah BTW this is my first tube amp

the sound is in my profile
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
Last edited by guitarplaya322 at Mar 22, 2008,
ok so im not sure if this sound is the tube rattling but its really annoying and it doesn't sound good. the sounder is louder in person compared to the actual note then it is on the recording. and sorry for double post

but the sound is in my profile its called EVJ problem

thanx for helping me i really apreciate it

all i really need you to tell me is whether it is supposed to happen or not because I dont want to go to the music store and seem like a total dumbass when i tell them there is a problem
*bump

please someone just give me an answer im about to go to the music store and i really need to know whether its normal or not
you sure it's not the guitar? just sounds sorta like a dead fret. did you play the amp in the store with your guitar? i guess you should take it back to the store and have it looked at regardless.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
ok thats what i was also thinking but i tried it out with my spider and nothing happened but then again my spider isn't a tube amp

and i use the same guitar on my friends tube amp all the time and it doesn't happen with that note
right. yeah, i dunno, evj's can be sketchy sometimes. exchange it.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
It's probably a number of things:

Tube rattle;
Design Flaws - The EVJ has a big muddy bass naturally, which can be modded out, but if yours is the combo then it's likely to cause additional rattle and perhaps upset the 8" speaker.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
It's probably a number of things:

Tube rattle;
Design Flaws - The EVJ has a big muddy bass naturally, which can be modded out, but if yours is the combo then it's likely to cause additional rattle and perhaps upset the 8" speaker.

Depends on the version. I've got the newest versions of both the head/cab and the combo and they don't have alot of the issues they use to. The new head isn't muddy at all. Epi should get credit for actually listening to reviews and upgrading their products.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
ok guys thanx for all the help. I raised the action on my guitar and now it is alot better. Im not sure y it was only happening on my EVJ tho.

Is modding amps hard??
Quote by guitarplaya322
ok guys thanx for all the help. I raised the action on my guitar and now it is alot better. Im not sure y it was only happening on my EVJ tho.

Is modding amps hard??

Depends on how handy you are with a soldering iron. Stay in the 40 watt range. Above that and it's pretty touchy. If you still have stock tubes change those out first, you don't need anything for that.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
ok is changing tubes hard???