So my ValveKing is giving me feedback. I guess its expected with high-gain amps. But anyways when the strings arent vibrating the feedback slowly starts increasing. It gets a bit better when I'm standing further away from it, but its definately still there. Would a noise gate help my cause? Would it stop that feedback that creeps up whenever the strings arent vibrating?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
same here whit my traynor i ****ing hate that.
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Quote by yoyodunno
Is it feedbacking when you are still touching the strings also? Try turning around to find a spot where it won't screech if thats what you are talking about.

It only happens when Im not playing.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by kyle62
World's best noisegate = volume pot + your fingers

Hard to stop noise that way when it happens after I stop playing =P
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by metallicaM.O.P.
yes a noise gate will help ,you just need to get a good one

Yea thats what I'm thinking,

I just want to know if it will stop this kind of feedback, that happens when I stop playing.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Yeah a noise gate will stop that feedback. But also you might want to check into your guitar's pickups. Because, if the pickups are microphonic its gonna cause feedback.

But, do you mute the strings when you stop playing, and it still screeches? Or does it slowly start to feedback.
Noise Gate will kill it to a certain point in volume. typically feedback gradually gets louder so if you can elimanate it from starting at a low volume it won't be able to progressivley get louder. think of the noise gate as a gate that only lets a higher decible level pass it will not let anything below that level get to the amp. You could also try a volume pedal or rolling down your volume on the guitar.
Quote by yoyodunno
Yeah a noise gate will stop that feedback. But also you might want to check into your guitar's pickups. Because, if the pickups are microphonic its gonna cause feedback.

But, do you mute the strings when you stop playing, and it still screeches? Or does it slowly start to feedback.

When I mute the strings, it stops. As soon as I let go the feedback slowly starts rising in volume. Would an MXR SmartGate take care of this? I know everyone here loves the iSP but is the extra $30 bucks needed in this situation?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Oh I see, thats the good kind of feedback, I'd say the ISP decimator does look really good, but why waste that money when you can just put your right palm on the strings and control the feedback?
Quote by yoyodunno
Oh I see, thats the good kind of feedback, I'd say the ISP decimator does look really good, but why waste that money when you can just put your right palm on the strings and control the feedback?

Cause it just really annoys me. Dont know how else to put it lol. Other than the noise I have no complaints at all with my setup. I dont think any stores carry the ISP around here, but the SmartGate is a decent alternative right? Dont want to order off eBay btw
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Just man up and get the decimator. You'll probably be glad you did. It will eliminate any feedback without affecting your tone at all. If you buy at guitar center you should be able to return it within 30 days for a full refund and you could probably even haggle the price down a little.
Quote by nate23
Just man up and get the decimator. You'll probably be glad you did. It will eliminate any feedback without affecting your tone at all. If you buy at guitar center you should be able to return it within 30 days for a full refund and you could probably even haggle the price down a little.

No guitar centers around here.

Even if I get the Decimator, will I have to put the threshold high? Considering its just feedback that occurs when the guitar isnt played. Because if I dont have to use a high threshold then I might aswell go for the MXR.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by mike.h
No guitar centers around here.

Even if I get the Decimator, will I have to put the threshold high? Considering its just feedback that occurs when the guitar isnt played. Because if I dont have to use a high threshold then I might aswell go for the MXR.

No, I have mine around 11-12 o'clock with a noisy ass 5150 II. As far as true bypass though the Decimator is the best but the MXR should be alright.
Quote by nate23
No, I have mine around 11-12 o'clock with a noisy ass 5150 II. As far as true bypass though the Decimator is the best but the MXR should be alright.

Yea. Its not that I dont have the money, its just I cant find any ISP's locally. None of the stores around here carry it. I dont want to go through the waits and customs and other stuff from buying off eBay/MF.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by mike.h
Yea. Its not that I dont have the money, its just I cant find any ISP's locally. None of the stores around here carry it. I dont want to go through the waits and customs and other stuff from buying off eBay/MF.

Oh, well in that case I would go ahead and try the MXR. I've read pretty good things about them.
I would definately get the isp, good pedal, i think about the only one i'd ever consider if i were to go that route. You should try backing off some of your gain, or also could mess with the pickup height.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL89pRGv0Zw
LOL @ not knowing what hes saying.

**Edit -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng8Q2JhkdSg&feature=related just found this video directly comparing those two noise gates
Last edited by \m/metallica\m/ at Mar 21, 2008,
Quote by \m/metallica\m/
I would definately get the isp, good pedal, i think about the only one i'd ever consider if i were to go that route. You should try backing off some of your gain, or also could mess with the pickup height.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL89pRGv0Zw
LOL @ not knowing what hes saying.

**Edit -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng8Q2JhkdSg&feature=related just found this video directly comparing those two noise gates

Pretty sure thats fake. The LED isnt lighting up on the ISP. Even if the knob was blocking the LED the light would still be bouncing of the side of the knob.

His username also happens to be ispdecimator. Biased opinion anyone?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

After doing those mods to your valveking don't you think it would be counterproductive to get something that while taking a little controllable feedback away, is also gonna take a little tone with it?
OK, so to remove this type of feedback (slowly increasing feedback when Im not playing), would I put the noise-gate through the front or in the FX Loop? Im not running any pedals btw
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Hmm. Feeback can be eliminated in three ways that I can think of. In order of cheapness:

1. Point your guitar somewhere else. If the sound waves coming from the amp can't get to your pups to be fed back into the signal chain, you're golden. However, this just isn't possibble on some stages/locations.

2. Wax pot your microphonic pups. Epiphones, lots of Ibanezes, Squiers, and even some nicer Fenders, Gibsons, Schecters, and the like have microphonic pickups. Potting them in wax (dipping them in melted wax so the wax fills the gaps in the pickups that are vibrating and making feedback much more likely) is a fairly simple process that you could do at home, if you have $10-$20 bucks for some paraphin and bees waxes.

3. Noise gate. Essentionally, a noise gate is like a bouncer outside the classy bar of your signal chain. Any sound below a certian dB range will be eliminated from the signal. Noise gates are usefull for cutting out hiss, buzz, and 60-cycle hum, but when you leave a note sustain, it'll be cut off instantly when it drops to the dB level the gate is set to eliminate. A good projessional solution, and good if the first two options don't work/can't be done.
Now where would I put a noisegate, in front or in the FX Loop? The type of feedback Im getting is the kind that occurs when I stop playing, and slowly gets louder.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Since I don't really don't know the source of the feedback, I can't say for sure. I'd hazzard a guess that either would work; feedback is a loop, so the gate should do it's job anywhere in the loop of feedback.

The kind of feedback you're describing has it's uses...
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Since I don't really don't know the source of the feedback, I can't say for sure. I'd hazzard a guess that either would work; feedback is a loop, so the gate should do it's job anywhere in the loop of feedback.

The kind of feedback you're describing has it's uses...

Well not for me lol. It just annoys the HELL out of me. The second I take my fingers off the string it starts feeding back. If I ever need that for some reason I can just stomp on the noise gate =)

Huge noob pedal question, but does the pedal always draw power whenever theres an instrument cable attached to it?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Yeah bud, i have the same problems with my B-52. I get feedback anytime I'm not playing something whether my fingers are on the strings are not. ISP, here I come.
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Jackson Warrior JS30 upgraded EMG 81/85
Epiphone Silverburst 1966 Reissue G-400
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
Quote by mike.h
]Huge noob pedal question, but does the pedal always draw power whenever theres an instrument cable attached to it?

Most draw power while there's a cable in the input jack, some don't.

I think it's worth trying to pot your pups.