I'm looking for a nice acoustic (preferable acoustic-electric) in the price range of around $300-500. I've looked around the forums here, but I'm still a little confused as to what I should be looking for. I'd prefer a slightly more metallic sound, but still with a good mid/bass range. Any suggestions?
i have a seagull s6. its pretty sweet actually. but if you get one, get it off ebay. its a lot cheaper. i got mine brand new for $250
Parkwood 310 M

Epiphone Masterbilt series (mahogany back)
Saw a demo at the Guitar Center in Lincoln, NE which had a couple dings in the side (not to big a deal). Guitar was clearance priced at $286.00. Nice sounding guitar. Great deal for someone even if you had to pay shipping. Action was nice and low.

Blueridge Guitars (I bought a Blueridge BR-240 on ebay for $575.00 (including shipping) Nicest Guitar I have ever heard including high end Martins, Taylors etc. Also look at the BR-140, BR-160 (rosewood back) These are outstanding guitars for the money.
Last edited by Guitar Hack at Mar 22, 2008,
Alright, well I've been looking around online and talking to some people I know, and the Taylor Big Baby guitars keep coming up. I've been playing guitar for three years now, so I'm not an amateur, but I don't know what to look for in an acoustic. Basically what I'm asking is are the Big Baby guitars for lower skilled/beginning players, or is it a good quality instrument?
Last edited by cartoonydude707 at Mar 22, 2008,
i played a big baby a while ago and it was really nice. its a good guitar, but you should try one out before you buy one. it might not have the sound you want
I'm in the same boat, looking for a good acoustic in that price range. What are the pros and cons of having electronics, and what would you recommend?

I don't know a thing about acoustic guitars, so some more information would help.

I talked to my roommate and he told me what a solid-top guitar was, and he said that it adds a lot to the sound. He told me solid-top models are generally more expensive, and I don't think I want to spend more than $500 - $600 at the moment.

I checked out the Art and Lutherie guitars from the website posted earlier, and they look good.

Any more information would help. Thanks.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I just got a yamaha FG730S for 300... i love it so far and it seems to have a lot of supporters . it was 300 at guitarcenter.com and you can prob get a local shop to pricematch that.
much to the disdain of many on this forum i am an ardent supporter of taylor guitars. However as a beginner i would stay away from a brand new big baby. it is quite high in the cost department and i think you will outgrow it as your prowess increases. Yamaha makes very affordable well playing guitars that will last you a lifetime. also many of the canadien guitars are well made and more affordable.

If you find that you like the taylor tone and playability as i do then there are more choices used for the same price as a new big baby. A 100 or 200 series can be had on ebay for 400 dollars in like new condition and they are well made guitars that will last you a lifetime.
perhaps you could look there.