I've always been hooking my pedals up to my amp by doing Guitar -> Pedals -> Amp. But just today I hooked my pedals to the Effects Send/Return and it sounds a million times better and lets you adjust the sounds way more precisely. Is that how you're supposed to do it and I'm just been too stupid to realize that? Are there any pedals that sound better hooked to my guitar instead of the Effects? Thanks.
Guitars
· Ibanez PF · Washburn WG-248 · Ibanez S520Ex
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Distortions and wahs sound miraculously better through the guitar than through the effects loop.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

thats what the fx loop is for if your amp has one. not everything goes in the loop though. wha-od/dis-and a few others sound best when left out. you will have to go through trial and error to see what is best to you
well the effects loop is made for putting effects through =P but some effects are better to have between the guitar and amp, these can be things that you want to affect everything about your tone or so you get a different effect from your pedal. for example a equaliser or dB booster set to up your dB in the loop will make you louder... if its between the guitar and amp it will give you a slight distortion. experiment. (btw thats a very basic example)
Yeah, I've been messing around with it. Having the OD in the loop before my EQ somehow takes away distortion... Haha. But having my EQ in the loop is like freakin night and day.

It just sucks that I don't have enough cables... Haha.
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Quote by acdcrocks0323
You don't put your OD in the loop at all.

Why do you say this? Doesn't the fx loop go straight to your power tubes? And tube overdrive comes from power amp saturation, so couldn't you help find your perfect overdrive by sending the OD straight into the power amp?

Edit: Just to add, I use no pedals besides my 808
Last edited by TUMFP at Mar 21, 2008,
No usually when people use pedals to boost and saturate their tubes they put the OD before the amp so it boosts the preamp tubes. I could be wrong but I think it would take a lot to saturate the power tubes with a pedal.
I'm pretty sure it is the powers that saturate for that natural OD, research time. And for an example, I ran my 808 into my FX Loop and it sounds so much better, so SMOOTH!

Little snippets:

Poweramp distortion generally just smooths and compresses the tone, makes it thicker and richer sounding. What's great about it is that while the sound is big it isn't supercompressed like you get with high gain preamp distortion. Thickness, balls and dynamics with the guitar sounding like it's about the explode, controlled feedback easily accessible - those are the things we love about that sound.
Last edited by TUMFP at Mar 21, 2008,
Power tubes don't overdrive unless they are given more volume. Turning up your amp and boosting your power amp with the OD in the effects loop would do the thing. ODs are usually used to keep the amps volume low so being in the effects loop would be silly.
Hmm, it sounds really good. I will try and get some clips for you guys if you want. And it is the power amp saturation I'm looking for. That really thick, but not too gainy, overdrive.
Does it make a huge increase in volume? Cause if it does that would be just like increasing the volume knob. I think i'm gonna go try my badmonkey in the loop with my triple xxx right now.
Not for me, no huge volume increase, I have my TS-808 set at:

Level- 3 o clock
Drive- 12 o clock
Tone- 11:30

But I also play with my guitar's volume knob, and keep a low tone something like 5-6 ish. But it is so smooth.

Strat -- > Peavey C 30
Ok, I put my bad monkey in the effects loop, and while it made the tone smoother all it really did was add so much mids that the sound became muddy, tho it was an interesting solo sound which i may use lol
So you're saying that OD is supposed to go in the Effects loop?

Would I put a Noise Gate in the Effects Loop as well then?
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Quote by Phry
So you're saying that OD is supposed to go in the Effects loop?

Would I put a Noise Gate in the Effects Loop as well then?

Noise gate - experiment, but usually used in effects loop I believe.
OD - again, experiment, although pretty much everyone uses it in front of the amp. That doesn't mean it wouldn't work in the loop too - experiment.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
Noise gate - experiment, but usually used in effects loop I believe.
OD - again, experiment, although pretty much everyone uses it in front of the amp. That doesn't mean it wouldn't work in the loop too - experiment.

Alright. I'll try the OD in the effects loop again once I get a noisegate, cuz the noise/feedback right now when I have it in the loop is unbearable. But as it is, it sounds really good with it connected to the guitar.
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Quote by GuitarFreak1387
thats what the fx loop is for if your amp has one. not everything goes in the loop though. wha-od/dis-and a few others sound best when left out. you will have to go through trial and error to see what is best to you

its 'morley' and 'wah'
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
As a general rule of thumb:

Gates, compressors, wahs, distortion/overdrive/fuzz pedals go in between the guitar and the amp. Modulation and ambient effects such as chorus or reverb, and EQs and other things like that go in the FX loop.

Well thats how it is when connecting stuff in a recording studio, think of in between the guitar and the amp as an insert, and the FX loop as the send/return section on a mixing console. however, that doesn't mean you have to stick to the rules. AFAIK, most people just connect everything inline between the guitar and the amp.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp