Iv'e watched all the videos on the net, including that one Freepower did. But I'm still having trouble understanding it all.

Do these pictures look right? the pick would start resting on the other side of the string, and then follows the direction of the arrows... this would require an up and down motion like knocking on door, with a little side to side motion to get from one side of the string to the other
Attachments:
pick.JPG
pick2.JPG
Member #5 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club.

PM forsaknazrael to join
What I'm trying to clarify, is whether my understanding of the oscillation movment is correct. of course it's alternate picking, but it's all about how the wrist moves. there are several different ways to move the hand during alternate picking this is one of them

PM forsaknazrael to join
Essentially, yes. Hence the "V motion" that is used in the explanation. You have to understand though that once you condition this motion to be small like it should be, your picking motion won't necessarily look like a "V" anymore, but as long as the same muscles (generally the large muscles in the upper forearm) are being used you're in good shape.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Mar 21, 2008,
thanks man! that's what I wanted to know.

PM forsaknazrael to join