Hi all. I'm doing some troubleshooting in my guitar. When I'm not touching my strings I get some bad hum from my guitar, but when I touch the strings it's greatly reduced. I know it's usually due to the bridge not being grounded, but I've opened up the body of my guitar, and it looks like the connections are fine. I was just wondering if there is anything else that would cause this problem. Thanks!
Too much volume/gain on it might have something to do with it. Maybe stand farther away from your amp.
my guitar used to have a bad buzz or hum...well
what causes this hum is the strings hitting the fretboard
you can find out where its hitting by hitting different notes on the string until it makes the sound, it kinda depends on what jind of guitar or bridge you have,if you for example have a gretsch electromatic (has a moveable bridge) you fix it by moving the bridge closer to the fretboard so the strings can rise and so stop the buzz caused when hitting the fretboard.
Ok in simple terms just fix your fretboard so the strings can "float" higher.

edit, nvm, i see what your saying. this is normal
its cause because the strings are still resonating and it sopped huming beacuse you muted the strings when you put your hands on them. well i have a guitar processor that has noise reduction so when im not touching the strings the amp stays quiet.
Last edited by los gargolas at Mar 21, 2008,
......,if you for example have a gretsch electromatic (has a moveable bridge) you fix it by moving the bridge closer to the fretboard so the strings can rise and so stop the buzz caused when hitting the fretboard.
QUOTE]
That will affect the intonation and cause your LowE to jump the sharp.

DO NOT MOVE THE BRIDGE CLOSER TO THE FRETBOARD!
While it DOES "raise" the action, it would also grotesquely throw off your intonation. You would only raise the rhythm side of the bridge by turning the circular adjustment dail underneath the rhythm side of the bridge. A 180 degree turn counter clock-wise should raise that side to about 0.75mm.
Retune.
See if the buzzing has ceased or at least diminished in some way.
Noob to UG, not guitar
SuperSaijin 4 Guitar
Quote by Kentris.5
This isn't a fret buzz problem, it's in the electronics. If anyone knows of any grounding issues I might have I'm looking for solutions along these lines. Also, this is a strat knock off with Lace sensor pups if that has anything to do with it.

Single coils have a lot of feedback.. If you dont want it, get humbuckers or noiseless pickups.
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
You're an idiot. That's why they're called HUMbuckers. They "buck" hum. Humbuckers have much less feedback than single coils. I repeat, you're an idiot.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.