I currently have a fender twin reverb as my only amp (not including my little Peavy Rage 158). I was considering buying another amp because I want a higher gain sound but then thought maybe I could do some mods to the twin to get a higher gain sound out of it because I dont really want to dish out the money for another amp. So far all I can really think to do is changing the tubes/speakers. Would this produce much difference? Is there anything else I could do? Im already using a distortion pedal as well as an OD pedal in front of the amp. Thanks.
What pedals are you using? And when you say you want more gain, just how much do you mean?
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
Doubt theres much else you could do if your already using a ts, i'd sell the amp and just get a different one.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
Quote by SkateEmerica987
Doubt theres much else you could do if your already using a ts, i'd sell the amp and just get a different one.

Wrong, you can keep the Twin for cleans and then A/B your signal to another amp for OD. Cleans don't get much better than a Twins.
Quote by TUMFP
Wrong, you can keep the Twin for cleans and then A/B your signal to another amp for OD. Cleans don't get much better than a Twins.

Ya and thats why I dont really want to sell it. However, like I said I dont really want to buy a whole new amp either because of the cost.
buy some small tube amp so that the volume difference between the two amps wont be too far and it will be fully overdriven at lower volumes...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by 5kuzgib
What pedals are you using? And when you say you want more gain, just how much do you mean?

Im using a ts808 for OD and a Marshall guv'nor for distortion. Its a decent distortion sound but I was looking for something alittle heavier.
I was in your position a while ago. DO NOT sell the Twin. I bought about 5 boutique overdrives and in the end just decided to buy a new amp. I went with an Orange, though i dont know how higher gain sounds you want?
Buy an MI crunchbox

That'll fix your gain needs, and they sound fantastic through fenders
Quote by fifer
buy some small tube amp so that the volume difference between the two amps wont be too far and it will be fully overdriven at lower volumes...

This sounds like the best advice so far. Maybe an Orange Tiny Terror, depending on how much gain you are looking and what size you would need. Maybe a Blues Junior boosted ?
Quote by nirvallica
I was in your position a while ago. DO NOT sell the Twin. I bought about 5 boutique overdrives and in the end just decided to buy a new amp. I went with an Orange, though i dont know how higher gain sounds you want?

Ive been looking at the Orange Rocker 30 and even the Tiny Terror and think that those would suit my needs very well. However, Id prefer to sell my twin to pay for a good chunk of it, but your the second or third person thats told me not to. It does seem like a waste to sell an amp thats known as having some of the best cleans ever produced. If only I wasnt in high school and working with such a limited budget...