i'm going to buy a new practice amp, so what amps do you guys recommend?
i play mostly rock and metal, but i'll start to play new styles probably when i already know a lot of rock songs, such as reggae, blues, jazz
im looking for the best sounding practice amp (like best tone) and maybe some cool effects like reverb and such. although i wont care if it doesn't have cool effects. i'm mostly looking for a nice sounding clean sound, because im gonna have some distortion pedals anyway.
im looking for an amp for about $100 - $400
Last edited by DubCity at Mar 21, 2008,
A Peavey Valveking maybe? Either that or a used Classic 30 and an OD.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
randall randall randalll!!!!! =D i have one and i absoloutely love it. the distortion is amazing especially for metal but can easily get nice rock and cleaner tones, and yeh i play every style imaginable including lots of jazz recently and it is always amazing tone wise and is one loud mofo for the money. So go for a randall valve dynamic i think its the G3 series
its better than a practice amp it is the real deal.
oh yeah and its cheap=P mine was £260 for a 75 watt and thats all your gonna need but you can g right up to 200 if you want
ok thanks for the suggestions
also, is the "fender g-dec 30" a good amp? in terms of clean tone?
dont have a clue, dont like fenders that much but they do have quite a nice warm but bitey clean sound if you get the right one but i couldnt tell you.
^^ Don't know about the G-Dec but I wouldn't get a modeling or SS amp.

If you just want a good clean tone and don't need too much versatility i'd go with a low wattage tube amp, they'll have the real cleans rather than a model of the clean. However it's down to personal opinion I guess.

Something like a Valve Junior or Blackheart, maybe even a Palomino should give you some nice warm cleans. Then you can add pedals for distortion.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackheart-BH5112-5W-1x12-Little-Giant-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=481675

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Valve-Junior-Tube-Amplifier-Head?sku=482069

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Palomino-V8-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=487825

They might be a little loud in the bedroom since 5 tube watts can be used with a band but you can get cleans at lower volumes with them.

-just my two cents.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
ah yeh its a modelling? well yeh try get a good tube amp or something that has tube somewhere in the circuit cos it is simply not possible to emulate or get a nicer tone in my opinion than with tubes.
thanks zeppelinpage4 for the suggestions on some tube amps im gonna go research those
alright guys i did some more research and i found these amps. which is the best for good clean sound and good distortion with distortion pedals. also, if theres an amp better than these for under $400, please recommend.

the amps i found:
vox valvetronix AD30VT 30w
line 6 spider iii 75w
Vox DA5 5w
fender g-dec 30

oh yeah also, right now i have a roland cube 15. should i just keep this roland cube or buy one of the above.
Last edited by DubCity at Mar 21, 2008,
Might want to stay clear of the Line 6, my brothers got one and it's ok for what he needs it for, but you can do better for the money. I'm coincidentally buying a Valvetronix AD30 or 50W tomorrow, can't decide which. Sounded great at the store, and I'll be trying it out for a bit longer before I finally decide on which to buy. It's a tube pre-amp which is nice, but not full tube. The 30W has a cheap Chinese brand 10' speaker, which I've heard could do with replacing, but for a practice amp should be fine.
Don't know much about the Fender or other Vox though.
Quote by DubCity
alright guys i did some more research and i found these amps. which is the best for good clean sound and good distortion with distortion pedals. also, if theres an amp better than these for under $400, please recommend.

the amps i found:
vox valvetronix AD30VT 30w
line 6 spider iii 75w
Vox DA5 5w
fender g-dec 30

oh yeah also, right now i have a roland cube 15. should i just keep this roland cube or buy one of the above.

Well I own the Vox ad30vt and out of those it's the one I would choose. A great versatile amp and with the wattage knob on the back you can play at alot of different volumes.
Great versatile amp for the bedroom and it should have all the effects and sounds.

However I wouldn't get that, because it's a modeling amp like the others. They're not bad at all and if you want it for practice only it's fine.
Modeling amps aren't supposed to take pedals very well and since you plan on using a distortion pedals anyway for you overdrive you don't need a modeling amp.

If you have all the effects you need and like to use them then go with one of the low wattage tube amps. They'll have much nicer cleans and sound better when turned up. So I still suggest getting one of those instead of the modeling amps you found.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Mar 21, 2008,