what's a good way to get a lot of gigs? i thought of going to local venues and offering to be an opening act or something like that.
don't drink and drive, smoke and fly. actually, do both, if that's what you want. i won't care.
set up your own shows.rent a venue get a couple other bands charge admission and refreshments.Its a buttload of work but you can do it your was and it will end up paying for itself.thats what me and my band started 3 years ago and now its huge in our area and we get 2000 people easily.so self promotion....it works
In our attempt to seek individualty,we have all become the same

Im so hardcore I could kick a puppy right now
that sounds good.
don't drink and drive, smoke and fly. actually, do both, if that's what you want. i won't care.
Careful... the venue might have restrictions on what they're willing to let you do - like whether or not they'll let you charge admission (and how much/how little they'll let you charge), and if you do, how much they'll be willing to let you keep. They might also not let you sell your own refreshments, and they might not let you keep *any* of the proceeds from it, or they might insist on a cut. If you are talking about alcoholic refreshments, that could be dependent on the limitations of their liquor licence. Contact venues in advance and ask a ton of questions. You might really have to shop around to find what you are looking for at a price point you can live with.

Conventionally there are a few strategies:
-make a demo - bring that to the venue with a short bio and maybe a photo. Call in advance and find out who to talk to, and when they'll be in. Put it right in that person's hand and introduce yourself while you're at it. Or, if you contact them, they might just give you the booker's email and ask for a myspace link. Don't even ask if you don't have a demo - well, most places anyways. Find out what their expectations are and be sure you can meet them.

-find a friend whose band will let you open for them with approval of the booker at the venue. No demo required, usually.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
-Rent out a hall, get a PA, get some other bands. Unlike what the dude above me says, it's not as hard as you might think. Contact your local VFWs, American Legions, KOCs, etc.

-Go to local shows. Support your local music scene. You'll usually meet people there who will hook you up with shows

I would highly recommend both options, they kind of go hand in hand
I'm gonna bump this thread, mainly because it would be good to have some "gig-getting" advice for a band that are all under 16. It's a pain in the ass when all the local venues are bars and over 16's only clubs.
Look, red text
When it comes to venues, you could always just use a big field. That depends on where you live, though. They don't have big fields everywhere...
"There is no hell. There is only France." - Frank Zappa
Yeah, I recommend big fields or backyards, if you live in the suburbs and don't have an oppressive homeowners' association (f#*king homeowners' association). Also look for little local places like coffee shops. For those under 16, school events are good too.
Find a local promotion Agency on Myspace and drop them an email about you and saying you're searching. They can hook you up a support or opening act at first, then progressing to headline sets and stuff if you play good.

Or just rent your school hall and get 100 people in.

Or have a party and play at that.
u think central park in nyc will let me and my band just play in an open field sometime?
u think central park in nyc will let me and my band just play in an open field sometime?

Ive always thought about doing that. Going to random public places and just setting up. We used to do stuff at my friends house in Florida. He lived in a really bad ghetto and during the day we'd just set up on his front yard and jam all day. Sometimes his neighbors and friends would just pull out lawnchairs and drink, enjoy some tunes. Sometimes we'd get the cops called when we were drunk and jamming at 3 am.

I wonder how a public place would fare though.
ya but i was thinking more like going and talking to the management of the park and asking to set up, and like maybe give them a cut.
-find a friend whose band will let you open for them with approval of the booker at the venue. No demo required, usually.

best piece of advice in this thread.

Open for them, get some of your friends to show up/buy tickets/be energetic and impress the booking agent. Thing is to make sure you're ready for it and to put on a good show, you want to impress the people at the club and make them want you to come back.
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
Befriend the people in the music scene of your area. It's always good when local young talent sticks together. Opportunities will be shared and spread between everybody.
Quote by WhoPhlungBass
set up your own shows.rent a venue get a couple other bands charge admission and refreshments.Its a buttload of work but you can do it your was and it will end up paying for itself.thats what me and my band started 3 years ago and now its huge in our area and we get 2000 people easily.so self promotion....it works

This is your best bet. But be sure to get everything in writing, I can't stress that enough.

I was running a night at the Dry Bar in Manchester (a techno/drum n bass night, slightly different to what you're after, but same principal) and I had 5000 flyers, thirty fairly big names and all I needed was the date to come round and to play/make money.

Then a week before the date, the bastards at Dry Bar just pulled the plug because they decided they didn't wanna do it anymore. And because I didn't have anything down in writing, I couldn't do ****.
This week I have mostly been listening to...

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
As an additional remark, I would advise everybody to stfu and listen to Buz XD

Quote by Shadow_Hawk
ya but i was thinking more like going and talking to the management of the park and asking to set up, and like maybe give them a cut.

Check with your municipal government. They DO issue permits for these types of events (if they're on city property, as opposed to private property),and in fact, REQUIRE you to have a permit for these types of things. There is a fee involved, to be sure.

Also consider.... get a parade permit. Probably hard to get, but would allow you to LEGALLY set up on the back of a flat-bed truck and play without having to worry about seatbelt laws. Yep.... do that on a regular street, and you'll get pulled over - maybe not for playing, but for not being properly restrained in a proper vehicle seat.

Best bet, though, really was mentioned above - parties. At a house party, you are guaranteed an audience who is enthusiastic about just partying. Attendance will probably be good. Playing at a bar offers NONE of those things, necessarily.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.