I'm currently in the process of buying a new amp. My plan had been to buy a GK Backline 300 watt head and a matching goldline 4x10. I recently looked around once again and I've found that I could get a 600 watt Carvin head and a matching 4x10 for the same price. I wanted people's opinions and comparisons between the two. I honestly can't play either of them in person because none of the stores in my area carry either brand. Opinions pl0x?!

check out all they videos on youtube
they dead serious about thuggin like that
if you ask me they are fruity
an i hope one morning they drown in there fruit loops
depends on what you want. GK is more of a modern voicing. Carvin isn't voiced to anything. Both of these can be both good or bad depending on what you're looking for in a rig.
Well Carvin is direct order so you won't have good odds of trying them out anywhere. I personally am an anti GK kind of guy, at least their low end stuff. I've spent hours trying out different GK heads and cabs and never got a sound I enjoyed (personal preference though). Also goldline speakers have a very distinct sound, so if you want a traditional paper sound steer clear of them altogether... but don't get a GK backline speaker cab, even people who like GK know that their low end speakers are pretty terrible.
Dies anyone else have ideas for under $700? $700 is basicaly my very, really pushing it limit.

Carvin is the best way to go if you're on a budget, IMO. You'll be hard pressed to get a powerful head and cab for >$700.

You could always look used though - you can get pretty good deals on Craigslist and such. For example, I bought my Ampeg SVT3-Pro and a Yorkville 1510 cab for ~$700 altogether.

However, if you're looking for a "classic" bass tone a la Ampeg, don't get Carvin or GK. They've got fairly transparent sound to them, meaning you're supposed to be able to dial any tone you want without coloration.

I personally have not tried either brand of amp (surprising on the GK end...) but I've played a Peavey (also known for their transparency), and I really didn't like it. Extremely sterile and empty sounding. However, I've been told that this is just a fault of Peavey, but I've yet to compare to a GK.
Quote by Fingerboy18
Carvin is a wonderful company, I trust them 100%

Do you own a Carvin? Which one? I've been very interested in them for a long, long while.

Anyway, this is a no brainer. If your options are between two GK Backline pieces of gear and a Carvin... there's really no contest. However, I feel inclined to point out that the one you're looking at is only 225 watts. You might look into grabbing the BX600 head (same one) with the BR115 cab which will come out to be JUST over your budget and you'll get 400 watts and then you can add on a 210 for a couple hundred bucks later on. Or if you're not necessarily looking for a head and cab unit you could look into the BR615 for about $550 and you're getting virtually the same thing as what I previously said, but for a couple hundred dollars less. You could almost get the combo and the extension cab for under your budget. That might be that way to go.
As much adhered as I am to the GK brand, in this instance I would imagine carvin is the way to go. As IndianRockStar said if it were the GK artist series then I would say different.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
i would say keep shopping. i personally would look into used amps, in your area. i don't think online purchases of "heavy" equipment is practical. if i can't play it before i buy it, i'm not buying it.
jazz_rock_feel your amazing.

I decided apon a Carvin, and although my budget was about the same as yours, I am going to save a bit longer to get the Carvin stack that I want. With Carvin, they will last a lifetime, and are great pieces of greatness. And you get factory direct prices.

I hope you go with the Carvin. The bx600 head is most definately for you, all you have to do is choose your cab. ( I am getting the SBR610 if you wonder)

btw, Carvin has a few stores in the LA and San Diego area, their shop is in San Diego.
He don't remember, how it got there
It had a number, written on his forearm
It spelled disaster
Quote by mhuckins
btw, Carvin has a few stores in the LA and San Diego area, their shop is in San Diego.

And Sacramento. I am going up there next month and will drop by Carvin to see if Bales knows what he's talking about .
i have heard that carvin makes good sounding gear but fall a tad short with the rough handling they get on the road.one of the complaints is solder joints that vibrate loose.ihave a pro bass 300 and its never been a problem but then again i dont take it out of the house.it will probably get sold to finance a tube head one day
Quote by Wasted Bassist
Dies anyone else have ideas for under $700? $700 is basicaly my very, really pushing it limit.
what about the traynor yba 200....ive heard from almost anyone i talk to that they are a good deal for the money.....
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
i would say keep shopping. i personally would look into used amps, in your area. i don't think online purchases of "heavy" equipment is practical. if i can't play it before i buy it, i'm not buying it.

Sorry to debunk your idea, but I live in ****ing North Dakota. There's a total of about 6 professional bassist within 3 hours. I don't have the time to look for used stuff around here, because I have a show in a little less than a month. I need to find something that will work for at least a max of 75 - 100.

Quote by motorcycleboy
what about the traynor yba 200....ive heard from almost anyone i talk to that they are a good deal for the money.....

Love mine, it's pretty versitile for a tube amp too, can't get really modern slap tones, but other than that.
@MotorCycleBoy - You do realize that my max price is $700 and that's just a head that would cost me $800 not even bringing in a cab...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
@MotorCycleBoy - You do realize that my max price is $700 and that's just a head that would cost me $800 not even bringing in a cab...
oh yeah......been there........but i learned over the years that its better to wait,save, beg,borrow......because in the long run cheap is usually going to disappoint......and whats worse is that when it comes time to upgrade you have nothing to trade.......someone wise said earlier that used might be the way to go and i agree.when you buy new you take the big hit in the depreciation department......if you need new think about this.......use your cash wisely and get the best quality head you can.....rent or borrow a cab and save for a good one......
Quote by Wasted Bassist
but I live in ****ing North Dakota.
check out long and mcquade in winnipeg online,or st johns music...................i live in winnpeg and you may find something here.there are a few used places as well and i wander in every now and then.....ill keep my eyes open......check out used winnipeg.com and kijiji.......about 6 pages back in kjiji winnipeg theres an ampeg 15 cab for 300 bux cdn.........its been there a while so it may be sold but its probably worth an email......i dont know what end of the state you are in but were probably closer than minneapolis but that would be the next place id surf...........there are probably forum members there able to help you
Last edited by motorcycleboy at Mar 23, 2008,
motorcycleboy--don't double post. It takes as much effort to open a new post as it does to edit the first post. Go back and read the forum rules please! And your second post proves you know how to use the edit button btw...