I've been doing some research on possible new tube amps in the future and I've been coming back to the Carvin V3 (please don't come in here telling me I don't need a halfstack and I don't need 100W, I want an amp that has the capabilities to play well without being miked into the PA and play well when miked through the PA).

The reason why I've come to the Carvin V3 is because I have two guitars (Fender Koa Strat and Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR) and I want to be able to play both blues/sparkling cleans along with metal/heavy distortion. From what I've seen on videos the V3 can do both (correct me if I'm wrong). I've also found the Marshall JVM 410H can also do that, but for about $1400 more, and the valvekings I've looked at havn't really been up to par on the distortion side.

But with the Carvin V3, there are only three channels, and you can only access three channels with the footswitch. I saw the midi function on the v3 features video, but that didn't seem to coincide with the footswitch to make more than just three settings to access, or did it?

So I guess after reading all that I just have a few questions I need answered. Does the V3 only have 3 settings you can save and access with the footswitch, and if so, what are some other tube half stacks that can produce about the same quality the carvin can with more space to have settings?

Thanks for your time, it's greatly appreciated.
You can't change the V3s settings more than the channels.

That being said, three channels is alot. If you learn how to use the vlume knob on your guitar, you cn get some great blues-rock tones on a high-gain setting. The only other amp I can think of is one of Randalls MTS series.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Honestly, you're not going to get much more than 3 channels on a tube amp in that price range and what do you mean by change settings? Like actually change the tone and volume controls? As far as I know there are no amps that do that via footswitch. Pretty much all a footswitch can do is change channels, toggle the reverb, toggle the effects loop, and some have a bypass mode and a boost function.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
You should also look for a Mesa Mark IV also. Really versatile as well.

Also extremely expensive from what I hear...
Quote by soul_power
Honestly, you're not going to get much more than 3 channels on a tube amp in that price range and what do you mean by change settings? Like actually change the tone and volume controls? As far as I know there are no amps that do that via footswitch. Pretty much all a footswitch can do is change channels, toggle the reverb, toggle the effects loop, and some have a bypass mode and a boost function.

Yeah I kinda rambled. I mean, make a setting on the amp and save it to a spot on the footswitch. But the footswitch just goes from setting 1 to 2 to 3.

I guess my problem was coming from a Line 6 amp to this. ha, really do need a tube amp.
Quote by ShizNick
Yeah I kinda rambled. I mean, make a setting on the amp and save it to a spot on the footswitch. But the footswitch just goes from setting 1 to 2 to 3.

I guess my problem was coming from a Line 6 amp to this. ha, really do need a tube amp.

it is midi enabled and there is the ability to have 3 distorted channels. i generally find i just use the recto esque tones mostly. as an owner i would say it can sound like a jar of bees at times, and at others it sounds like adam jones diezel, recto, jcm combination of sounds. also it has just enough gain but not like a 6505
Quote by EvyDefMetal
it is midi enabled and there is the ability to have 3 distorted channels. i generally find i just use the recto esque tones mostly. as an owner i would say it can sound like a jar of bees at times, and at others it sounds like adam jones diezel, recto, jcm combination of sounds. also it has just enough gain but not like a 6505

Would it be a good amp to switch between a single coil strat and a double coil schecter with EMGs? Probably couldn't find a setting to use both guitars on.

So maybe find another tube amp with more channel capabilities.. any ideas?

Oh, and how much is a Mesa Mark IV anyways?
Quote by ShizNick

Yeah you're not likely to find an amp with as much features as the V3 in that price range. You might actually be better with a modeling amp to tell you the truth. Look for a used Line 6 Vetta maybe. Believe me this is no Spider. Its actually a pretty damn nice amp with pretty good tone but like anything digital it just doesn't have the feel that a tube amp does. I guess you could look at a Spider Valve but honestly I would rather have the Vetta. If you absolutely want the best tube tone with the most features I would still go with the V3.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by soul_power
Yeah you're not likely to find an amp with as much features as the V3 in that price range. You might actually be better with a modeling amp to tell you the truth. Look for a used Line 6 Vetta maybe. Believe me this is no Spider. Its actually a pretty damn nice amp with pretty good tone but like anything digital it just doesn't have the feel that a tube amp does. I guess you could look at a Spider Valve but honestly I would rather have the Vetta. If you absolutely want the best tube tone with the most features I would still go with the V3.

Yeah, I have the Line 6 Flextone III, and I really don't want to use Line 6 amps anymore, tired of the solid state digital crap. Maybe I can just use a universal clean channel and use one distortion setting for the schecter, and one for the strat, not a bad idea.

Thanks for your time and input guys.
3 independent channels is really more than most any other amps. So if you're wanting more channels I think you're going to be dissapointed.
Quote by ShizNick
Also extremely expensive from what I hear...

If you're willing to go used... Not really. $2-300 more than the V3 head is usually the going price of a used Mark IV head/combo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
wtf.
completely unrelated, but i accidently clicked on your paragraph and got linked to "little tikes blue toddler race car bed" on ebay....
wtf? http://cgi.ebay.com/little-tikes-blue-toddler-race-car-bed_W0QQitemZ110233867034QQcmdZViewItemQQssPageNameZRSS:B:SRCH:US:101
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
wtf.
completely unrelated, but i accidently clicked on your paragraph and got linked to "little tikes blue toddler race car bed" on ebay....
wtf? http://cgi.ebay.com/little-tikes-blue-toddler-race-car-bed_W0QQitemZ110233867034QQcmdZViewItemQQssPageNameZRSS:B:SRCH:US:101

LOL
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
LOL

I just cant explain it.
something weird as hell happened.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by ShizNick
I've been doing some research on possible new tube amps in the future and I've been coming back to the Carvin V3 (please don't come in here telling me I don't need a halfstack and I don't need 100W, I want an amp that has the capabilities to play well without being miked into the PA and play well when miked through the PA).

The reason why I've come to the Carvin V3 is because I have two guitars (Fender Koa Strat and Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR) and I want to be able to play both blues/sparkling cleans along with metal/heavy distortion. From what I've seen on videos the V3 can do both (correct me if I'm wrong). I've also found the Marshall JVM 410H can also do that, but for about $1400 more, and the valvekings I've looked at havn't really been up to par on the distortion side.

But with the Carvin V3, there are only three channels, and you can only access three channels with the footswitch. I saw the midi function on the v3 features video, but that didn't seem to coincide with the footswitch to make more than just three settings to access, or did it?

So I guess after reading all that I just have a few questions I need answered. Does the V3 only have 3 settings you can save and access with the footswitch, and if so, what are some other tube half stacks that can produce about the same quality the carvin can with more space to have settings?

Thanks for your time, it's greatly appreciated.

So i bought my V3 and have written a review about it. I am finding new stuff out about this every day honestly (cause i dont read the manual, cause i dont want to.....cause i said so ).

It plays your "shimmering" cleans to hard rock/metal 80s type thrash. You name it, and it can do it. Very good amp for the price, worth every penny of the $1100 i paid for a used head and cab.

Looks like you are wondering about the footswitch settings and stuff? Being your main question, allow me to clarify...

It comes with 1 footswitch stock, and you have the option of buying another to use for the switching of the loops off and on while playing. There are two loops, a series and a parallel. Both are controlled by the "Loops" mini switch on the EQX panel. The "Smart" mini switch is for the MIDI.

The amp does not have any effects. The only effects that you would really be running would be reverbs or delays (plus MIDI stuff if you wanted). When you say "only has 3 setting you can access", that is a lot. The power to potentially set the effects before hand AND turn them off and on as you so desire AND have the head remember all of that is pretty killer. I dont know of any other head that does that.

I made this video and it should clarify. If it doesnt, let me know more specifics of what exactly would you like me to turn off and on while i record.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v601/ugknevermore/?action=view&current=V3channelselector.flv

EDIT: Sorry, i jumped ahead and did all this work without reading the rest of your posts. I'm not going to delete it cause i spent a lot of time on it . Channels 1 and 2 can be set up the same, like....with the same type of distortion and everything. So you can "make a change" on channel 1, then switch to channel 2 to be a little different.
Last edited by dogismycopilot at Mar 23, 2008,
Ok I was in a very similar situation to you a few months ago, I have a Line 6 Flextone III and ended up buying a V3 as a second amp and my first tube. At first I was a bit disapointed my Flextone tone had a much smoother tone which is a big deal when it comes to leads for me. After playing with the V3 for a while and finding that turning it up a bit makes a world of difference I started to really like the amp. It could acheive a great chug tone I could never get out of my flextone but me being more of a lead guitarist I'm still not satified with the lead tone I'm getting. It definately smooths out when I turn it up but not enough for me atleast. I don't regret getting the amp its an amazing amp for Hi Gain rythme a bit on the basser side, which you can't really eq out because it will get to fizzy but if you like that kind of tone its great. I guess it really depends on the kind of guitarist you are if you like Shred and chug rythme tone its awesome but if your looking for a smooth lead tone that really sings it can't deliver. Thats basically how all tube amps are you get one but have to sacrifice some on the other. Or like some others have said you could get a Vetta II the best of both worlds.....Some people say its not as good as a tube but from all that I've heard I would have to disagree. It was out of my price range at the time but I kinda of wish I would have saved for it.
Last edited by Osiris77 at Mar 31, 2008,
If you really are set on more settings and channels and the like, you might have to pick up a Flextone. I'm very fond of mine.

That being said, I think you can work the V3 and your volume knob, and mabye an OD, and get all the stuff you need. I was able to cover most of the gain spectrum with a Metal Muff, EQ, and Twin Reverb.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
If you really are set on more settings and channels and the like, you might have to pick up a Flextone. I'm very fond of mine.

He already has one
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music