I'm sure there's been probably a million threads like this, but I'm new to this site, and I honestly don't know where to look.

I'm 17, a long time ago I played guitar, and I had lessons, I was pretty decent I guess. But I've just recently started playing again, I've learned all the notes on the fretboard, I know a bunch of the chords, and I know a couple riffs. And that's about it. And I really don't know where to start. =/

If you want to help, please email me at DakilabobMusic@hotmail.com

or msg me on myspace http://www.myspace.com/xbillychapmanx
Hey, I was in your position about three months ago. Started playing when I was ten, stopped at twelve, and then last Christmas got my first electric. Start by learning songs and listening to a ton of music (to know more songs to play).
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
That's what I'm doing right now, all I have to play is my dad's Gibson acoustic, which is pretty nice, but the entire thing with music theory, and scales, and basically everything that has to do with learning music escapes me and I'm just confused lmfao
You can read tabs right? If you can't, you should learn how. Its really simple and logical.

If you do know how, start listening to a whole lot of different music. Then just start finding the tabs for songs you like and learn them. Start with the stuff you can play easily first obviously. When you think you're getting better, look for harder tabs. If you think that you are spending way too long trying to learn a song, then its too hard for you.
just try 2 learn songs that u like; get stuff from the radio or borrow ur mates' cds (if they have any cds and if u have any mates)
its really easy 2 get most tabs from UG anyway
Well yeah, I can read tabs, and I can read a little bit of music. But I was talking more on learning Music Theory rather than just playing songs. I've got a book that has, I guess, most of the major types and modes of scales, gives me the notes in the scale, and the finger patterns, for all notes. So far I've learned C Major, C Major Pentatonic, C Minor, and C Minor Pentatonic.

But like all I do is just go throughout each note and memorize the notes in them and the fingerings?
learn the theory behind each scale.

such as the formula for each scale in relation to the major scale and whatnot.
Quote by coryklok
My god.

Your username... it's amazing.

Yup.
Oh yeah, the book I use defines each type of scale, gives the numbers for each scale.. like the major is 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 and the major pent is 1 2 3 5 6 and so on, it also gives me the steps to take to make the scale wwhwwwh and w w w+h w w+h and all of that. But it doesnt give me like.. a routine to learn the scales. It's just like here's the scales and how you make them, and I didn't really know where to start.
so what you want to know is how to play them and practise them?

well the best way is to learn the notes on the fretboard and work out an easy way for yourself to play them.

or you can learn 'scale boxes' which are easy ways to play a scale written out for you in tab
Quote by coryklok
My god.

Yup.
Oh okay, that's what I've done with C Ionian, I've got it down perfectly. So should I just move on to C# Ionian?
Matt: it wouldnt really be a gainer since ur just going straight up
Me: i'm going over the spine
Matt: yea i know spine transfer
Me: frontflips > backflips
Matt: or in ur case it could be called broken spine transfer if you fall hard
well scales are movable so just take the shape you have and move it up a fret.
now learn the other modes
Quote by coryklok
My god.

Yup.
oh okay. About how long should I stay on each scale? I don't want to move too fast
Matt: it wouldnt really be a gainer since ur just going straight up
Me: i'm going over the spine
Matt: yea i know spine transfer
Me: frontflips > backflips
Matt: or in ur case it could be called broken spine transfer if you fall hard
So far, for like practices, I've gotten exercises that look like these for the Major chord, these are for CMaj.

|-----------------1-3
|--------------1-3---
|-----------2-4------
|--------2-3---------
|-----2-3------------
|--1-3---------------

|---------------------3-5
|----------------3-5-6---
|-----------2-4-5--------
|--------3-5-------------
|-----3-5----------------
|--3-5-------------------