Wasn't getting any response in the other thread so, I found this and was wondering if it would be a good buy? I play mostly screamo/hardcore/metal stuff. Check my profile for specific bands I listen to. Would it be good for practice with a band and eventually gigging? Wanting to spend about $600 max.

Click
Last edited by Silverstein14 at Mar 21, 2008,
Wait.. an 05'er asking about an MG... troll?

If you actually are serious, listen to me. Do. Not. Buy.
jcm 800 or 900 would suit your style pretty well. you can find them used a lot. not sure where you are but try craigslist. check out some sound samples online, go play some new ones at guitar center or something then buy used to save yourself some money
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
The MG is the best amp ever made EVER! Haha, jk.

Man, if you're just starting to get into electric go with a randall ss, or crate. Both have pretty good solid states.

As for a tube COMBO, look at Fender, Traynor, and brands like that. You don't need a half stack to start off, unless you know what you're doing. If so, try out a bunch of amps and pick the one that sounds best to you. Thats what I did, and bought the best amp I had ever tried.
Guitars:
Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom WCR and Dimarzio equipped
Amp:
Marshall 2266 Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Quote by Silverstein14
No. I am more of an Acoustic player, and I have absolutely no knowledge about amps. Not a troll. Explain please. I was thinking of a tube instead, but I have no idea.

Gotcha, sorry for the false accusation .

The MG is one of the biggest scams in the amp universe. It costs more than, say, a Valveking, is quieter, sounds 1/10 as good, and is a big, bulky halfstack.

You want a tube combo, look into used Peavey 5150's, Mesa F30's, and Peavey Valvekings.
have you ever played an mg? try one out sometime. you'll sit there going "man, somebody must have eq'd this to **** to make it sound this bad." and it'll never get better.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
+3.141592

Quote by imgooley
It was such a good suggestion you gave him pi?

yeah, he gave me pi.
good marshalls cost more than enough to me, if you want tube combo try like a peavey windsor or valveking perhaps, MGs can do alright btw, alright but not phenomenal
Quote by imdeth
The only grinding i want to do is to Napalm Death.
Quote by the humanity
you get humanitarian of the day award.
you guys realize there are jcm 800 and 900 combos right?
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

haha you must be looking at the wrong price
used combos are way cheaper than that. where are you from

30 watt is definately loud enough for right now. i mean depends what gigging you will get into but i mean keep in mind the stones who play huge concerts dont have 100w stacks or anything, its all miked. that will be perfect

ya good call, where abouts are you in canada

Doing some research, someone said that the amp I tried was probably not a tube. I thought all Orange amps were tubes but I guess I was wrong. If it's just a 30W normal amp, then screw that I'd be downgrading lol. I'm located in Thunder Bay, Ontario specifically. Why do you ask?
i grew up in edmonton, alberta. just curious

^The peavey classic is a great amp.
Kills an MG any day (I think you've already been told that though).
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
well from a fellow canadian good luck with your endeavors