Page 1 of 2
ok... im buying an amp soon and i want to get something for metalcore... you know.. that low end chug sound... like Killswitch engage etc...

i can spend up to $900 and maybe a nice pedal...

so basically i want reccommendations... please dont tell me to buy an used 6505 or 5150 in ebay since im not american and it would really be a mess to ship the amp etc... so tell me(:

remember:
-$900
-chuggy metalcore sound
-pedal (OD or whatever)
Look for mesa roadsters. Thats what KSE uses.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
Quote by Teh Forest King

$900 please (:
You can get those for 900. mesas go cheap.

Maybe you can get a VHT deliverance. Thatll prob do the job.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
Quote by Teh Forest King

A $900 Roadster? Where are you getting amps from?
Quote by Teh Forest King

dude really? $900 mesas? in what stores? i might be flying to the us soon and ill get my stuff there... is there any store like sam ash or gc that sells mesa boogies? im going to miami soon
Quote by Teh Forest King

Show me where you can buy a Roadster or Deliverance for $900 and I'll buy it right now...

You might be able to score a Mark III head, F or DC combo, Rect-O-Verb combo or something of the like for that price, but deffinately not a Roadster.

Quote by Bing
if all you really want is the "chug" you could get a better set of pickups... then skimp on the amp a little.

No.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Check out my chugga sound. Its exactly what I've always wanted in a distortion. That clip was with the treble at like 4 I believe. When I crank the treble I get an AMAZING crunch.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by Teh Forest King

correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure they use hughes & kettner triamps and dual recs?
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by sg622
correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure they use hughes & kettner triamps and dual recs?

Hughes & Kettner Triamps into Framus Cobras. or Dragons. Not sure.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by Teh Forest King

Not sure about Roadsters, but I know they use Splawn Nitro, 6505's and Framus Cobra's.
Quote by Bing
if all you really want is the "chug" you could get a better set of pickups... then skimp on the amp a little.

I cant even explain how much I disagree with that/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\//\\

I kow I will get flamed for this but......I have a Valveking head and a marshall 4x12 1960a cab. with the gain at 3-oclock and my soloist with emgs the chug-alug sounded "good". then I bought a sonic maximizer......Now I can chug like crazy and its tight as balls and powerfull as sh*t

valvekings are great cheap all tubos, with some tube swapping and some effects, cant beat it for the money
Jackson Dxmg w/dimarzios up n down
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!
Quote by Bing

No, no, no, no, no, no, no. Chug is all in the amp and the player.
i love the wealth of disinformation on here sometimes!! All amp and player is right. I can get a decent palm mute chug on my squier with stock pups!!!!
+1 to the above/\

BTW----my hor--licks as well
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!
Guess Im wrong about them using Roadsters...I saw them a couple months ago and they were using black mesas, prob the tremoverb.

Ive seen d60's and mesa recs of all sorts go for $900 on craigslist.

You might want to go up into the early $1000's though bro. Youll have more options.
Quote by tarlkea
Check out the Carvin V3 amps.

Oh and to add to the KSE discussion. They've also used ENGL Powerballs.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
hor------*****.........Weak attempt at funny. My bad (its early here)
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
whattttttttttt they starred out that word???? W-H-O-R-E
what the fvck
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
Quote by mike.h
Check out my chugga sound. Its exactly what I've always wanted in a distortion. That clip was with the treble at like 4 I believe. When I crank the treble I get an AMAZING crunch.

Dude that recording was pretty bad, tone and playing wise.. I didn't like your "chug" sound at all.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

You not going to get anything good for $900 unless you get a 5150 or maybe get lucky with a Mesa Rectoverb but thats unlikely. Anyways if you want that awesome chug sound your going to want to get a some kind of Mesa Recto, or your cheaper route a Carvin V3 I got mine for $1,100 on sale if you want to hear it just let me know and I'll post some sound clips.
Quote by mike.h

Pretty bad tone.

To OT: what amps are available in your location?
Quote by Vanquish
Dude that recording was pretty bad, tone and playing wise.. I didn't like your "chug" sound at all.

Yea, like I said I had my treble rolled down a lot, so that took alot of the bite. I forgot what to play at some parts and was playing pretty sloppy lol. Im probably going to record the intro bit for Blooddrunk after I get my noise gate.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Theres a VHT deliverance that was just sold on Ebay for 960 American.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
Amps good for "chug:" 5150/6505, Framus Cobra (expensive), and possibly tube B52s.
Amps not too good for "chug," IMO: Mesa, Diezel, Soldano.

Basically, IMO, the deep-toned "good" amps don't seem to do palm-mutes all that well (at least, not without a lot of tweaking). The "buzzy," "fizzy" amps seem to do it without even trying.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Quote by LEVEL4
Amps not too good for "chug," IMO: Mesa, Diezel, Soldano.

I disagree majorly.

My Mesa will destroy any 5150 in the palm mute department and is easily equal to the Framus's mutes.

Diezel is pretty much *the* amp for a sick chug sound. Again, any Diezel amp will destroy any in your good "chug" sound list imo.

Soldano is more of a lead amp, but an SLO/Avenger can get a pretty nice chug to it.

Maybe we have different opinions on what a good "chug" sound is, but I for one would take any on your "bad" list over the "good" list anyday.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Maybe we have different opinions on what a good "chug" sound is, but I for one would take any on your "bad" list over the "good" list anyday.
Apparently, since I usually pretty much agree with your opinions, Matrix. I really didn't like the Mesa for chugs at all, though. I liked it for leads only. But, admittedly, I only spent a little while with those amps at the Mesa store. Also, I didn't like the Diezel chug at all, but, again, I only auditioned it for a few minutes.

I think the Soldano makes a pretty-sounding chug as well—they're just easier to make with a 5150/6505 or Framus Cobra, IMO. I guess I'm talking about big, fat, fuzzy chugs. Those two amps, in particular, just seem designed for that kind of "chug," from the get-go.

As for my "bad" amps . . . absolutely! My two favorite amps are the Soldano SLO100 and the Framus Cobra, but I wouldn't kick any of the others out of my studio either.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Mar 22, 2008,
Quote by fuzzyDXMG
I cant even explain how much I disagree with that/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\//\\

I kow I will get flamed for this but......I have a Valveking head and a marshall 4x12 1960a cab. with the gain at 3-oclock and my soloist with emgs the chug-alug sounded "good". then I bought a sonic maximizer......Now I can chug like crazy and its tight as balls and powerfull as sh*t

valvekings are great cheap all tubos, with some tube swapping and some effects, cant beat it for the money

what exactly does a "sonic maximizer" do?
It Maximises Sonicness

Really, the condensed version is that it makes your speakers more efficient by filtering the sound. This results in a tighter more "alive" sound.
mmm, good and bad experience with the sonic max. I liked it in the room, really can thicken up the sound depending on the amp. I also liked it for recording multifx and DI, made it sound more realistic to me. Don't really like it for recording actual amps with mics though. It added some cool qualities to the sound, but wasn't worth the tradeoff in how much it colored the tone imo. Took me a couple years, but I got tired of it just like most people do eventually.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Bing

sorry, you just lost at UG

bugera?
B-52?
used stuffs?
ENGL?
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
sorry, you just lost at UG

bugera?
B-52?
used stuffs?
ENGL?

just for that he should be given a MG halfstack and a wal-mart First Act guitar so he can shr3ddorz teh m3t4lz
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by ssguitar
just for that he should be given a MG halfstack and a wal-mart First Act guitar so he can shr3ddorz teh m3t4lz

Quote by cedaguol

What are you laughing about? Its a serious statement.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

I want my amp to play for me too?!

Seriously... the "chug" is not hard to achieve. My SS Peavey Bandit and Ibanez with a Metal Zone pedal gets plenty of "chug"

Tubes do it better... but any amp can get it, and get it good. Boost your lows, scoop the mids, treble at 5... mess with your knobs and you'll get that chug sound. Even on a practice amp.
Quote by dorfeater
I want my amp to play for me too?!

Seriously... the "chug" is not hard to achieve. My SS Peavey Bandit and Ibanez with a Metal Zone pedal gets plenty of "chug"

Tubes do it better... but any amp can get it, and get it good. Boost your lows, scoop the mids, treble at 5... mess with your knobs and you'll get that chug sound. Even on a practice amp.

Don't scoop the mids, man. And, seriously, not every amp is made for a good chug. But a good chug is so personal preference. For instance, I don't like the chugs coming from Krank amps, but a lot here would like it.
Quote by LEVEL4
Apparently, since I usually pretty much agree with your opinions, Matrix.

Haha, well to each there own!

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Page 1 of 2