me and one of my friends got into a small argument about the end. do winston and julia get killed or are they just changed? i think they're just changed from what i can remember so if anyone can clarify for me that would be great.
Neither of them die.

They're beat down so far mentally that they end up becoming loyal to Oceana. They don't love each other any more, and Winston sits around at a diner everyday drinking gin and playing chess with himself.

I really like the book.
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
I don't think Winston dies. Winston is just brainwashed... though I didn't really even read it, i just sparknoted it.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
The Detroit Tigers were World Series champions in 1984. This alone makes it the best year ever.
<Han> I love Hitler
Quote by HaKattack
The Detroit Tigers were World Series champions in 1984. This alone makes it the best year ever.

+1
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
They dont die
Quote by Jaymz_515
One of my friends was thrown into the sun by a teacher for speaking in the library.
Thats the good thing about books, its open to the readers interpretation.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
Quote by thewho65
Their deaths are imminent, but the book doesn't actually describe them being killed.

"He was walking down the white-tiled corridor, with the feeling of walking in sunlight, and an armed guard at his back. The long-hoped-for bullet was entering his brain" - Last page of 1984
Quote by dispreferred
"He was walking down the white-tiled corridor, with the feeling of walking in sunlight, and an armed guard at his back. The long-hoped-for bullet was entering his brain" - Last page of 1984

I would consider that to be more of a metaphor.

Quote by dispreferred

thats not the last page on mine :S
last sentence "he loved big brother" explains itself :P

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
he was changed.
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Yeah winston dies. Earlier in the book he mentions the point just before dying, if you can say you hate big brother, and they kill you before they can make you take it back, you've won. The whole point of his death is that they won. Hence the last lines are "he loved big brother" or something like that.
They didn't die, but you could say their individuality was killed.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
It explained how the state didnt just kill people, and didnt just change them. They changed them then killed them, they made them WANT to die for being disloyal. Short answer: he dies
Bторой член в"Русскoй группe."PM Vindication to join
Quote by psychedelic420
I think Tiksi settled the matters. haha great job!

Quote by happytimeharry
The power of Christ compels me...

to touch myself.

Deputy Leader, Secretary General, UG Ambassador USA
They both get brainwashed, and end up incriminating each other. Winston incriminates Julia when they menace him with the rat trap.
After some years, they see each other in some park and (now I don't really remember) act like they don't know each other or have a banal chat.

Quote by Tiksi
It explained how the state didnt just kill people, and didnt just change them. They changed them then killed them, they made them WANT to die for being disloyal. Short answer: he dies

They kill them after some years.
If I remember right, they aren't killed in the end of the book though they are waiting for it.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

that book made me feel sick when i got to the last sentence... i wanted to throw it across the room
_b l/ink youreyes /1 for yes 2 fo_r n o
Quote by Tiksi

probably the best answer yet.
yeah but hes asking about the END. he changes at the end.
you assume hes GOING to die, since its just the way it goes..
i duno if he was asking for either or
He dies, and if he doesn't, he will soon after the novel's end.
<Han> I love Hitler
Wait...

Pit monkeys actually know how to read?

You guys disappoint me more everyday.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by dispreferred
probably the best answer yet.

But he doesn't die in the book. The fact that he knows that he will end up getting killed doesn't mean that he dies.
He may live for more years after the book ends.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
But he doesn't die in the book. The fact that he knows that he will end up getting killed doesn't mean that he dies.
He may live for more years after the book ends.

but it says that the bullet was entering his brain... what is it a metaphor for, if it isn't him dying?
Quote by TOcheesehead
but it says that the bullet was entering his brain... what is it a metaphor for, if it isn't him dying?

I really don't remember it ending like that . Let me search for the book. Back in 5 minutes.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
I really don't remember it ending like that . Let me search for the book. Back in 5 minutes.

I'm sure it just ends with Winston drinking gin and playing chess, whilst viewing a news report on some battle victory. Realises he loves Big Brother, and does he cry? I can't remember .
Ok I'm back. And yes Winston dies. He gets shot .
You were right.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by wtf is wtf
I'm sure it just ends with Winston drinking gin and playing chess, whilst viewing a news report on some battle victory. Realises he loves Big Brother, and does he cry? I can't remember .

no, check it yourself. it says word for word "as the long-awaited bullet entered his brain..."
Quote by TOcheesehead

The metaphore is that he finally loved BB thus raking the bullet everyone had already taken.
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Crit plz! Wh ore of Gommorah
I don't know if theres a set answer to that. I think it was sort of meant to be one of those things thats up in the air. I thought it was a good book though.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by TOcheesehead
no, check it yourself. it says word for word "as the long-awaited bullet entered his brain..."

"He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark moustache. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother."

I thought those were the last few sentences.

Edit: Well, technically it finishes with the Newspeak appendix. Someone somewhere made a point about this being in the past-tense and written in normal english, thus the book ends with the impression of muted hope that things can change.
Last edited by wtf is wtf at Mar 22, 2008,
Winston didn't actually die, but he believed he was scheduled to be executed. His execution wasn't actually detailed in the book, and it is unknown how long he lived after the end.
Quote by wtf is wtf
"He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark moustache. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother."

I thought those were the last few sentences.

Edit: Well, technically it finishes with the Newspeak appendix. Someone somewhere made a point about this being in the past-tense and written in normal english, thus the book ends with the impression of muted hope that things can change.

It's written some lines before that.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

its a metaphor. there is no right or wrong answer, you are suppose to read it and think about it and make your own ending.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.