First, don't kill me for the hell-spawned logiks I'm about to spew. Bear with me.

I was wandering down the street today to buy fresh fruit (god help me, I'm a hippie indie faggy college fag) when I saw a small pawn shop on the way to the store. Having breifly been in there before, I figured I'd stop in and check out the gear; they usually have at least a half a wall or guitars and amps.

I wandered in, and quickly glanced over the Frontmans, Valvestates, and cheap bass cabs without much cheer. Frowning, I turned to go, but almost tripped over an amp. Oops.

It was a Line 6 Flextone III. Having heard much, but played little, I decided I'd see how much it was, at least. "$375", I was told. That sounded fair; I've only seen them for $450 or more on CL. I gave it a quick play with a handy Schecter, and found myself moderatly impressed. Warmish cleans, full (but a little wooly) crunch, and decently focused gain. "Neat", I thought.

$350 later, I was dragging it onto a bus and up the road to my dorm, uttering assurances of "if it sucks, I'll get $400 for it on CL" to myself. I plugged it in, downloaded the manual, and started toying around. Decent delays, nice 4 band EQ, some modulation settings that I didn't even fruck with. "Well, let's try some of these models," sez I.

Hmm. A moddeling amp that sounds like a moddeling amp. Half an hour of tweaking and fiddeling, and I'm rather bummed. I approached all of this with an open mind; now I'm just depressed. Stupid Line 6. Stupid digital bull****. I missed my Twin Reverb.

A meal and walk around town later, I was back in my dorm. My very quiet and empty dorm. Hmmm...easter weekend really cleared out this place. To hell with it, let's turn up and hear some of that exciting transistor clipping pierce my eardrums and leave me deaf.

Wow. Should have done that earlier. Get it loud, and this thing bloody LIVES! Exciting AC30-like jangle was mine to dig into! Plexi-esque crunch was attainable! Metally whatsits were there, but the SSS strat I was playing with didn't have the buckers necessary to really make it scream. Which brought out something else; I could HEAR the single coils through the amp just as well as I could with my Champ 600; they wern't swallowed like so much sperm as most digital moddlers so whorishly do.

DISCLAIMER: This is NOT a better sounding amp than my Twin. Given. But it's shockingly close. Add in the flexability of other models and the built in and usuable delays and 'verbs, and I might just have a new gigging amp.

SO! Tear into my logic! Burn me at the stake! But I am now a PROUD owner of a Line 6 amp, and a '73 Twin Reverb. Star-crossed logiks, indeed.
Dear All UGers:

None of us hate Line 6. We hate the Spider series, only.

That is all.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
That is really good story. I actually saw a Flextone 2 at this store near me for 100 bucks...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Chill, doodleface. This is more about moddeling in general than Line 6.

$100? Cripes!

Thank you, FLCL. I'm a writer in my spare time, so I tried to make a more entertaining and enjoyable spam thread than UG is used to.
Lol nice story!
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
You got a nice deal on that Flextone! The Flextone series are very nice amps and very underrated. Anyone who says they're crap hasn't played one. I may be buying a Vetta in the next month or so.
Quote by yoyodunno
And so when you turned up the amp it sounded better?

Don't underestimate Line6. The Flextone's are gig-worthy amps.
The pastor at my church had a Flextone that I had to go through a few times. I could never get the right clean tone out of it. Always sounded way to thin and harsh to me. The bassist even commented that it made my Tele sound like a Strat. The distortions are alright though. Overall its a lot better than the spider series. I was actually pretty impressed with the Vetta.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by Guitarmiester
Don't underestimate Line6. The Flextone's are gig-worthy amps.

I think it has the potential to be; I'll see at my next couple practices.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
I think it has the potential to be; I'll see at my next couple practices.

It is. You've even got the extra I&O options. There are direct outs that you can send right to the sound guy, it'll make his job that much easier. Plus, you won't have to worry about mic placement.
Quote by Guitarmiester
It is. You've even got the extra I&O options. There are direct outs that you can send right to the sound guy, it'll make his job that much easier. Plus, you won't have to worry about mic placement.

I actually meant more along the lines of how it sits in the mix; how it sounds with another guitar and a bass and drums and vocals with it.
Line 6 sucks

I havent tried any of their other stuff (other than Spiders), but I hear nothing but good things
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by the.spine.surfs
I actually meant more along the lines of how it sits in the mix; how it sounds with another guitar and a bass and drums and vocals with it.

It'll cut through just fine. I saw Steve Vai back in September, and the opening act's guitarist was playing a Flextone III. Mark Wood (from the TSO) put a band together to tour with Vai on the String Theories tour. The guitarist in his band used a Flextone III on tour. Despite the crappy overall mix, which is common for opening acts, the Flextone held its own in a full band setting with bass, keys, violinist, and a singer.
people really should stop flaming on poor line 6 lol. they make some of the best solid state equipment. i owned (technically still do, selling it on ebay -_-) a pod XT live from them and i recorded most of the tracks on my profile with ease. the tones are pretty good and it has its momoents where i was wowed with the tone. but alas....i need to sell it for a new amp XD. ah well, its too many options for tone for me.....i really dont see who could use it all, or even a 1/3 of it.

the spider series doesnt completely suck as many would say it does here. it definitely is usable but its like saying a rubber band and a tissue box is a great backup guitar if you have a custom shop schecter or something. their stuff has done me wonders as a beginning guitarist but i graduated lol, so im moving on.

but i will say one thing. MG's suck hard, Spider's only suck lol. line 6 as a whole tho are very innovative and their vetta and flextone models have impressed me, not enough to buy it tho .
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
You know, I just saw a show tonight. Some guy, killer guitarist, covering Clapton. It was at B.B. King's for a celebration for Clapton's birthday. The guy had a great tone (I could've sworn it was an overdriven Fender), but the oddest blues setup I've ever seen. I saw he was playing through a Line 6 head of some sort into a Hartke cab.

Just goes to show you what Line 6 can actually do.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
if ur on a serious budget, solid states are a great alternative regardless of what people say. if your just gonna play softer gain stuff, a small tube combo for 300 bucks is doable but most people, but if your going all out brutal death metal, that combo wont do lol, and solid states come to the rescure for cheap metal tones. not fantastic, but it will work until you can get something better. it has for me XD, and im getting something better now.....i just dont know what.....
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
I like my little spider III, even after I get the Traynor YCV50 I'm still gonna use it. I can dial in a nice Muse-esque fuzzy tone from the insane channel's gain maxed out. And a nice tone for a crunchy/screaming tone with a bit of tweaking. The clean channel is meh, Same with the metal channel It's all good for bedroom practice.

But hey let's not turn this thread all about me. TS the Flextone is mighty fine, I played one a while ago, I reckon it was the 2nd one, But God man it was an amazing amp.
welcome to the line6 family.

recording with pods is the best solution EVER for us apartment dwellers.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
wtf is up with all this spider bashing? They are damn good SS amps for their price. A ton of effects and stuff to tweak with. They are so versatile too!
And now I'm just waiting for some 13 year old with a Valvetronix 30 to say "OMG U Don't KNOW wut UR talking ABOUT!! THey SUCK" I have an orange valve amp, don't talk to me about tone. I know tone. And these spider amps are obviously just practice amps. They aren't going to sound like a JCM 800, so don't expect them too. Who the hell even NEEDS a practice amp that sounds amazing. It's a PRACTICE amp, not a gigging amp. So please stop with all this spider hate. Treat it like the amp that is!
/rant

EDIT: (mostly directed at first page )
Last edited by rush5757 at Mar 22, 2008,
I'm glad you like yours... I don't really like mine at all anymore. Can't get any good distortion settings.
Quote by ShizNick
I'm glad you like yours... I don't really like mine at all anymore. Can't get any good distortion settings.

On your Flextone III? Tweak tweak tweak. Use buckers. Crank the volume, and the master volume, if you can.
I played the Flextone III 2x12 again today, quite a nice amp. It truly is a plug-and-play amp. I really like the Jazz Clean model with the reverb and delay turned up slightly. While I was playing around with the Flextone III, out of the corner of my eye I noticed a Vetta 2 combo hidden behind some Rocktron combo and a Peavey Valve King. After an hour of playing the Vetta 2, I decided I'm buying it. I'd really like to get it Monday, but I'll be at the college all day. The Vetta 2 isn't a plug-and-play amp like the Flextone's are, but damn! I'm beyond impressed with the Vetta 2. It's going to look nice next to my Carvin Legacy.
Quote by Guitarmiester
I played the Flextone III 2x12 again today, quite a nice amp. It truly is a plug-and-play amp. I really like the Jazz Clean model with the reverb and delay turned up slightly. While I was playing around with the Flextone III, out of the corner of my eye I noticed a Vetta 2 combo hidden behind some Rocktron combo and a Peavey Valve King. After an hour of playing the Vetta 2, I decided I'm buying it. I'd really like to get it Monday, but I'll be at the college all day. The Vetta 2 isn't a plug-and-play amp like the Flextone's are, but damn! I'm beyond impressed with the Vetta 2. It's going to look nice next to my Carvin Legacy.

Do you really need both? Save some for us.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
Do you really need both? Save some for us.

Oh, I need both.

Seriously, I do... sorta. I've been using the Legacy for my solo stuff, it hasn't let me down once. I may be selling it, not too sure about that anymore. After I played the Vetta 2 today, I came home and cranked my Legacy. After doing that, not so sure I want to sell it anymore. We'll see. I'm getting the Vetta for the work I'll be doing with my friends band. I need a lot of versatility and a lot of great sounding usable tones, which the Vetta is more than capable of doing. I can't wait to hit the stage with it.
I don`t know about the flextones but i`ve heard the Vetta`s at a local metal concert, i was impressed, till i found out how much they are LOL... $2000 JUST for the Vetta head. ya... i now own a Marshall. vetta do kick ass though, but for that kind of money a Marshall JCM8002203KK kicks WAY more ass.
Quote by Slayerdeath
I don`t know about the flextones but i`ve heard the Vetta`s at a local metal concert, i was impressed, till i found out how much they are LOL... $2000 JUST for the Vetta head. ya... i now own a Marshall. vetta do kick ass though, but for that kind of money a Marshall JCM8002203KK kicks WAY more ass.

The JCM800 kicks a specific kind of ass, but brutally so. The Vetta kicks almost any kind of ass.
Quote by Slayerdeath

The Vetta 2 is pretty damn expensive, but well worth it. Can't wait to pick mine up Tuesday. I couldn't see myself ever buying a JCM800. Nice amp, but it's not for me.