Well for now I'm using a small practice amp until my dad ships me a new 50 watt marshall.

I'm trying to find the best way to make a punk tone. But what are some good ideas? High treble? Distortion or Overdrive? Any help.
any specific bands or songs?
punk is an extremely varied genre with many different great tones
punk is much more varied than metal,altenative and almost any other ''mainstream'' genre,or almost any genre actually.
i use the vox valvetronix and it is awesome
what gear are u using now?
Last edited by hooligan07 at Mar 21, 2008,
well im not much of a gearhead and i usually just mess with my vox.
there is a thread in the punk forum you might wanna use the search bar for and ask there.
its called something like
punk-gear,tips,tricks and advice.
search and post there and im sure the'll be able to help
Last edited by hooligan07 at Mar 22, 2008,
Probably 3/4 tone, half bass, half gain, treble up to 3 o' clock + Every note will be a power chord.

Lol ^^
metal uses a lot more power chords actually.
its probably people like ze metal you shouldnt listen to
Quote by DeathBySpoon
Well for now I'm using a small practice amp until my dad ships me a new 50 watt marshall.

I'm trying to find the best way to make a punk tone. But what are some good ideas? High treble? Distortion or Overdrive? Any help.

Don't get an MG...Please? Chances are it'll break down on you in a year or two, or less.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I dunno... I go Low - 7 Mid - 4 Treb - 8... full gain. I mostly play metal, but it seems to make a pretty good punk sound too.

Or it could be that I just don't care, and I plays my punk anyways. haha
i like low 4 mid 5 high 6-6.5 ish and gain at 3/4 to full... it seems to be good for about anything i play... (punk, metal, just rock in general)
According to wiki FAP really stands for familial adenomatous polyposis, a type of colon cancer.
--------------
Ibanez SZ720
Randall RG75D
--------------
Me Playing Stuff: Here
Quote by hooligan07
metal uses a lot more power chords actually.
its probably people like ze metal you shouldnt listen to

What are you talking about? It was a joke, sorry if I'm trying to help someone?
Quote by dorfeater
I dunno... I go Low - 7 Mid - 4 Treb - 8... full gain. I mostly play metal, but it seems to make a pretty good punk sound too.

Or it could be that I just don't care, and I plays my punk anyways. haha

Full gain? Ewww.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Quote by Generalpwnt
Full gain? Ewww.

The best way to make crap equipment sound as good as it can? Crank the gain.

Sounds pretty good to me. Maybe not for punk, but like I said.. I play like 85% metal, 5% rock 10% punk.

Not gonna change my settings everytime I wanna bounce back and forth.
For that early punk/original hardcore sound, I usually:
- scoop the bass to around 2-3
- mids at 6
- high's at 7
- gain up at 8 or 9

And please, as said above, stay away from the Marshall MG series at all costs.
TAKEtheSTAGE
A blog dedicated to educating beginner's on guitar and music technology.
Quote by Ze_Metal
What are you talking about? It was a joke, sorry if I'm trying to help someone?

didnt mean to offend you but it seems there are many ignorant elitist who really think punk is all power chords and repetetive song structures,
while there are bands that may follow the formula,punk is probably the most varied genre around
Quote by hooligan07
didnt mean to offend you but it seems there are many ignorant elitist who really think punk is all power chords and repetetive song structures,
while there are bands that may follow the formula,punk is probably the most varied genre around

I know...It was just a joke though.

You have to agree though, most mainstream bands who get pretty popular do use almost all power chords. Poser punk bands I guess you could call it.
well yes, that is true.
however i think it is possible to write good music using mostly power chords or bar chords.
the ramones are an example of that.they have some of the most awesome rock n roll ever written based on pretty simplistic sounding formulas.
but then you many other guitarist in the genre who dont follow that formula as well
but i totally agree with you
what the average elitist thinks punk is deff a terrible assumtion
Yeah, because of bands like Green Day. Sorry if you like them man but they got wicked overrated for nothing, they were pretty bad.