Im getting the Ampeg SVT Pro-4, which is rated to 1200 watts. But i was thinking of getting the Avatar 4x10 which is rated at 1000 watts. Will this work for now if i dont 'crank' the head, or do I need to cover the whole 1200 watts?
Don't turn you volume past 5/6ths of the way and you should be fine... as if turning a 1200W amp 5/6th of the way wasn't a bad enough idea already.

However, that's 1000W RMS. It can handle spikes up to (I assume) 2000W.

Many people use the SVT4PRO/SVT810E, and the 810E doesn't even come close to 1200W.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
As long as you don't crank it (it's 1200 ****ing watts, if you crank it you'll have more problems than a broken cab, say, living on the street) you should be fine. And again, you should have no problem not needing to crank 1200 watts.
You should be fine as long as you don't crank it all the way up. And if your in a situation where you have to, then you could use two cabs rated at 1000 watts RMS to split the power.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by Kornakopia
Im getting the Ampeg SVT Pro-4, which is rated to 1200 watts. But i was thinking of getting the Avatar 4x10 which is rated at 1000 watts. Will this work for now if i dont 'crank' the head, or do I need to cover the whole 1200 watts?

The cab is probably 8 ohms so you should be running the head into it at 8ohm which will output roughly half it's RMS. So you'll probably be putting in only 600W into this one cab.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Nah, you can get avatars in either 4ohms or 8ohms. It should be fine either way, you won't be cranking it!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Quote by Welsh Guitar
Nah, you can get avatars in either 4ohms or 8ohms. It should be fine either way, you won't be cranking it!

Get the avatar in 8 ohms cause then you can add more cabs later! And 600W is plenty for the mean time anyway lol.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Haha. Yeah I wont need to crank it (yet), being as I'm not in a band at the moment. But I'm getting a kick ass deal on the head so... But thank you for the info!!!!
OK, after looking into it a bit, I think of it like this:

If you get the 4 ohm version, you can run it bridged at 1200W (a bit over the cab's handling), or one side of dual-mono at 490W. If you get another 4 ohm cab, you can run it at dual-mono/stereo at 490W x2.

If you get the 8 ohm version, you can run it bridged at 900W (perfect), or one side of dual-mono at 300W. If you get another 8 ohm cab, you can run it at 1200W bridged, or dual mono/stereo at 300W x2.

Therefore, IMO, get the 8 ohm version and run it bridged. I'm not sure of any circumstances were 900W wouldn't cut it, but 1200W would suffice. However, getting the 4 ohm one and running it at 490W sounds the most "right" in terms of power. Running the 8 ohm one at 300W just defeats the purpose. To me, however, the option of 900W bridged at 8 ohms with the potential for 1200W at 4 ohms or 300W x2 dual-mono/stereo (like I run) seems the most sensible option.

Also, to run the head bridged, you need a special Speakon bridging cable (it's just a normal one with the pins in such a way that it essentially makes the power amps run in series).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Mar 22, 2008,
Much depends on the genre of music played through the rig, if the style uses heavy root note repetition on the lower frequencies it will put more strain on the speakers when using a high wattage amp than say soft rock, pop, jazz, blues, metal thrash etc is where a compressor limiter would be of use.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn