ok ive had enough messing around i went to GC yesterday and these kids were playing next to me and were like "were ganna play in" this such and such key

Exactly what are Key's because they just seemed to play wonderfully and i really want to know what they are stufy them play them backwards and forwards as many as i can

thanks
Its really just mainly scales. For example if I were to say we are playing a 12 bar blues in the key of e then someone would start up the chords in that key and then someone might begin to do leads (which in this case would probably consist of the blues scale starting on the 12th fret or a major pentatonic scale starting on the 3rd fret. Yeah read the stickies, that was a terrible explanation.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by soul_power
Its really just mainly scales. For example if I were to say we are playing a 12 bar blues in the key of e then someone would start up the chords in that key and then someone might begin to do leads (which in this case would probably consist of the blues scale starting on the 12th fret or a major pentatonic scale starting on the 3rd fret. Yeah read the stickies, that was a terrible explanation.

Scales are derived from keys, not vice versa. In addition, just use the scale, don't limit yourself to certain frets or positions.

Quote by Peaceful Rocker
The key is the chord the song revolves around

Not necessarily.
um, yes necessarily?

It doesn't have to be the first or last note in the song.. but it definantly is the chord the song is based around.
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
um, yes necessarily?

It doesn't have to be the first or last note in the song.. but it definantly is the chord the song is based around.

I worded that response wrong, but a key is not a chord, which is what you said. The key simply represents the tonal center of the piece. And that chord will usually be the last note of the piece.