I only want the opinions of owners and people who have used it. I don't want this thread filled with "it sucks because it says SPIDER on it"

I'm thinking about buying one since i need a versatile amp that can do many different tones at a decent level, as opposed to an amp that can only do one or two good, and the fact that i don't want to buy a million pedals. Ill be using it for some small school shows, jamming with friends and screwing around with at my house. I play every style except for country and jazz, but mainly heavier stuff and reggae/ska. This would be my second amp.

Would anyone recommend this amp?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
really if u can, try it out, i tried it and thought it sounded really bad, and is overpriced, but some people seem to like it, it just sounds like a slight step up from the spider 3
Hmm...what's your budget? I think the Spider valve is pretty overpriced... If you want versatility for a price around that, I might actually suggest a SS like a Flextone.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
budget is at $4-700 CAD. Im trying to find an approximate price so that i KNOW how much i have to start saving.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci

Writing music is hard D:
well i dont own it, but i played a line 6 spider valve 212 not the 112. in the store and also played a used fender twin. they were about the same price. i let the guys at the shop push me towards the fender twin. i wish i would have got the line 6 instead. the line 6 sounds just as good and if you look at the specs it has the same pre amp and power amp tubes so it is a tube quality amp with built in effects so you dont have to spend alot more money buying 20 effects pedals. now i am limited in the type of sounds that i can produce instead of having amp models and presets on top of the all tube sound.

if you look at the fender cyber twin it is basiclly the same thing as a spider valve 212, tube amp with built in digital effect overlays. line6 spider valve 212=$850 fender cyber twin=$1400. In my honest opinion it is just as good just wasting money paying for the name. of course there will be people on here who dont agree with that but to each his own.
mg10cd
So, let me get this straight. UG is suggesting me a SS over a tube? amazing

Anyways, does this really mean the Flextone>Spider Valve?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci

Writing music is hard D:
Quote by Phillitalian
So, let me get this straight. UG is suggesting me a SS over a tube? amazing

Anyways, does this really mean the Flextone>Spider Valve?

Well, I've not played a Spider Valve, but I own a Flextone III. I'm suggesting what I know.

And thank you for refering to me as "UG". I'm flattered!
if you want a flextone 3 i have one that im selling

i am only selling it because of the size..my band just broke up and i need the money for the rent next month
^ location?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci

Writing music is hard D:
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Well, I've not played a Spider Valve, but I own a Flextone III. I'm suggesting what I know.

And thank you for refering to me as "UG". I'm flattered!

Why you're welcome.

If you read earlier i think one or 2 people suggested the flextone before you
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci

Writing music is hard D:
Quote by Phillitalian
Why you're welcome.

If you read earlier i think one or 2 people suggested the flextone before you

I did know, I was just being a twat.
Im in Toronto, Canada
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci

Writing music is hard D:
o and ive personally tried the spider valve amps...i didnt see it as much of an improvement on the spider 3 amps
Quote by deadagain6591
any idea what i would have to do to ship it to Canada

not a clue
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci

Writing music is hard D:
I have the 212 and for what you want you want to do with it, it should be fine. The solid state spider III's sucked but the valves are alot better (less fuzzy distorion and alot more meat to it).
I havent played a flextone, but i've played a spider valve
its WORLDS better than the spider 3 for sure.
For the sound you get, its definitely overpriced.
BUT
You cant beat that price for the versatility it brings to the table
i'd say the sound you get is worth about 500 dollars.
I don't think that i'd buy one though, because of the price.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by goodtunes
well i dont own it, but i played a line 6 spider valve 212 not the 112. in the store and also played a used fender twin. they were about the same price. i let the guys at the shop push me towards the fender twin. i wish i would have got the line 6 instead. the line 6 sounds just as good and if you look at the specs it has the same pre amp and power amp tubes so it is a tube quality amp with built in effects so you dont have to spend alot more money buying 20 effects pedals. now i am limited in the type of sounds that i can produce instead of having amp models and presets on top of the all tube sound.

if you look at the fender cyber twin it is basiclly the same thing as a spider valve 212, tube amp with built in digital effect overlays. line6 spider valve 212=$850 fender cyber twin=$1400. In my honest opinion it is just as good just wasting money paying for the name. of course there will be people on here who dont agree with that but to each his own.

coming from a guy who owns an mg
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik

let it go, hes an idiot

Yeah, im cool.

but for real, he's dumb.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
agreed lol
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
I have played the flextone III and Spider valve 212. I can say that the flextone is better than the SV in almost every way. The valve had a better dry clean (Meaning no effects) than the flextone but add subtle reverb or chorus and the flextone's cleans sound just as good. The flextone offers more effects and amp models as well.

So in my opinion, the line 6 amp ladder would go: Spider series<spider valve<flextone<HD145<vetta2 (Haven't tried the vetta 1 or flextone 1, 2)
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
I played it the other day, and while it would be good for using just like a regular amp with your own effects, unfortunately it has built it presets which makes it cost more.

The presets suck, and really why would you want to copy someones tone?
Quote by danyellenik

yeah i own MG10cd. ****ing excuse me for buying a practice amp so i could actually hear my guitar when i was trying to learn how to play it. And what is wrong with having a $79 dollar practice amp so i dont have to haul around a $500-$3500 investment with me everytime i wanna play. I knew i couldnt post my opinions on the subject without someone shooting off their mouth. The comment i made was about the thread that was started. Your comment was about your opinion of me and irrelevant.
mg10cd
Last edited by goodtunes at Mar 22, 2008,
i'm unsure of the price difference.. but you could go for a pod XT coupled with a tube poweramp and cab.

Atomic makes great Tube combos meant for dropping in modellers like the pods.. or whatever you decide to use.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I just wanna know why the hell Line6 had to go and add crappy digital effects to a valve amp??? Not just a valve amp but one that was partly designed by the great Reinhold Bogner???

why-o-why-oh why?

Epic fail there Line6!!!!!
Quote by flick_your_bic
BTW, I didn't check when I was playing it.
What tubes are in it?

I'd guess EL34 and 12AX7, check Line 6's site
I played through one and I thought it sounded pretty good. Problem is, its a tad overpriced, you could probably get something better for your money.
I thought it sounded pretty good you can get more gain out of it than the flextone and it sustains better. But I found it to be kinda of fizzy but then again I've yet to play a hi gain tube amp that wasnt fizzy at low volumes.
it has 12ax7 preamp tubes and 6L6 power amp tubes.u

and why do people stress about digital effects on a tube amp?

no one gets insulted if you hook one to five digital effects up to a tube amp. (i.e. effect pedal or a effects pedal board). just because people dont normally refer to pedal effects as digital doesnt mean they arent, right? so whats wrong about having a bunch of preset you can flip through?
mg10cd
Last edited by goodtunes at Mar 22, 2008,
Quote by kool98769
let it go, hes an idiot

Yeah, im cool.

but for real, he's dumb.

Well I own a Carvin V3 and a I thought that the Spider Valve was a decent amp it gets good sustain has a lot of gain on tap and has the balls the Spider III lacked. All I didnt like was it was a little to fizzy but thats a common factor in most hi gain tube amps at lower volumes. But then again the first day I got my V3 I thought it was to fizzy aswell and then after breaking it in some playing with the setting and turning it up I love it now. Don't get me wrong I don't think its great but its decent and saves you money on effects, I'd take my V3 anyday but the Valve isnt a bad amp by any mean. If you can only have enough for the 112 Spider Valve go for it but try the Flextone aswell. Which is also a pretty good amp but mine lacked some sustain and didnt have enough gain for most metal sounds. But if your looking for a mid gain sound the flextone really shines there for me atleast. But try them both out I don't think you'll be disappointed with either. I'd reccomend you watch some Youtube videos of both amps just to get an idea of the sounds you can achieve.
Quote by Horlicks
I'd guess EL34 and 12AX7, check Line 6's site

It's actually using two 12AX7's in the preamp and two 6L6's in the poweramp section. The Spider Valve's aren't bad, they're just overpriced. They're a big improvement over the Spider series, but I'd still take a Flextone over a Spider Valve. I expected the Spider Valve to have a big improvement in cleans, but it doesn't. The cleans are very dull, not sure how Line6 screwed that one up.
Quote by goodtunes

no one gets insulted if you hook one to five digital effects up to a tube amp. (i.e. effect pedal or a effects pedal board). just because people dont normally refer to pedal effects as digital doesnt mean they arent, right? so whats wrong about having a bunch of preset you can flip through?

I do. Analog pedals ftw.
i would recommend the 2x12 version. I happen to think it sounds great but be sure to get the fbv express pedal too.
dont get spiders ive had more than one and they are ALL bad however some of there pedals and accessories are awesome
Quote by pk1991
dont get spiders ive had more than one and they are ALL bad however some of there pedals and accessories are awesome

Did you ever have a spider valve?