I'm looking for a distortion pedal for my newly acquired Les Paul. I was going to go with a Boss pedal since I bought an overdrive pedal for my bass and I thought it was a quality pedal. I wanted to check out other pedals though and I came across the Metal Muff with Boost and I really really like it. I like the tones of guitarists like Randy Rhoads, Tony Iommi, and Dimebag Darrel. Does anybody know anything about them?
I hav one. A bit on the trebly side, and not enough "crunch" in the palm mute. As good a pedal as it is, for what you play, I'd recommend something else. I do't know what to recommend since I don't play a lot of that, but maybe a Boss DS-1
Metal Muff should be fine, i've never used one but from what others have mentioned about it on here it's a good pedal and it seems like it should get the tones you want.

Don't get the DS-1 though, it's a nice pedal, especially on a budget I still use one. However compared to a Metal Muff it's not as good.
Atleast in my experiance it wouldn't get as heavy as you want without sounding bad.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
i have it
its ****ing amazing

i tried it out at guitar center for like 2 minutes and had to buy it
dont let the salesman trick you into getting insurance
this metal box is hard as diamond
You might want to look at the hughes and kettner warp. It's really versatile, and has a mid boost.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
ive got it , you can nail those tones if you have the patience 2 fiddle with the nobs 4 a while
Quote by zeppelinpage4
Metal Muff should be fine, i've never used one but from what others have mentioned about it on here it's a good pedal and it seems like it should get the tones you want.

Don't get the DS-1 though, it's a nice pedal, especially on a budget I still use one. However compared to a Metal Muff it's not as good.
Atleast in my experiance it wouldn't get as heavy as you want without sounding bad.

This is why you must be careful what you read in these forums. You should probably try it out, or take advice from someone whos actually used it.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
i have one, im pretty sure i got a lemon but it broke on me in 1 month, i didnt even gig with it and i have a 65 watt ss amp so wtf. when it was working it was amazing, good crunch, it would be good on a tube amp i find that a ss amp cant go as over the top as the pedal can and then you start to get a over the top palm mute that sounds annoying.
Quote by Chex
This is why you must be careful what you read in these forums. You should probably try it out, or take advice from someone whos actually used it.

Yeah cause I know **** about guitar gear and would randomly give bad advice to another user.

All I said was it's gotten a good rep on this site.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah cause I know **** about guitar gear and would randomly give bad advice to another user.

All I said was it's gotten a good rep on this site.

You said you hadn't tried it, then said it was better than something else! I just highlighted it as ironic.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

MM are ok for the money, but even tho the top boost is pretty much useless, dont bother with the smaller MMs because you need the EQ. it's trash without a good eq.

it really depends on ur amp. there are better pedals for a little more.

the MM is ok, but not a wonder pedal.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Chex
You said you hadn't tried it, then said it was better than something else! I just highlighted it as ironic.

Yeah well I never tried a Marshall Plexi but I can sure as hell tell you it's better than a 10 watt practice amp. If you think that's ironic then your a fool.

I was only implying that the DS-1 is worse because I own one, even though i've never used a MM, I know enough about them to be able to say it's better.
Then again tone is subjective and everyone has different opinions so if you think the DS-1 is so much better than MM then go ahead and mention it and actually make a useful post.

/Rant

Ok enough of that, don't want to spam the thread as is.

Edit: Honestly i'm not trying to argue and make some point, I can understand what your saying. However you don't always have to try something to be able to say something about it. I even mentioned that I never used it so the TS wouldn't get the wrong idea form my post.
Now lets assume we're both right and end this here so the TS can get some real help.

Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Mar 22, 2008,
Quote by MegaJeff
dont let the salesman trick you into getting insurance
this metal box is hard as diamond

Not the best advice regarding the Metal Muff. I used to work at a music store and the pedal that came back the most was the Metal Muff. Even with the EHX power supply, the Metal Muff has issues. Our floor model died within a week. I had one guy who thought the Metal Muff was the greatest pedal in the world go through three of them before taking my advice that he should get a new amp. I have no idea what the problem is with the Metal Muff, but I've never seen that many of the same pedal die within a matter of weeks.

THCtheGRATE - What amp are you using? The Metal Muff really isn't as great of a pedal that everyone on here makes it out to be. The Top Boost is a joke.
Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah well I never tried a Marshall Plexi but I can sure as hell tell you it's better than a 10 watt practice amp. If you think that's ironic then your a fool.

I was only implying that the DS-1 is worse because I own one, even though i've never used a MM, I know enough about them to be able to say it's better.
Then again tone is subjective and everyone has different opinions so if you think the DS-1 is so much better than MM then go ahead and mention it and actually make a useful post.

/Rant

Ok enough of that, don't want to spam the thread as is.

Edit: Honestly i'm not trying to argue and make some point, I can understand what your saying. However you don't always have to try something to be able to say something about it. I even mentioned that I never used it so the TS wouldn't get the wrong idea form my post.
Now lets assume we're both right and end this here so the TS can get some real help.

You're on fire
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

The Metal Muff should do you fine. EHX makes quality pedals. I like the Big Muff more, but for metal tones, the Metal Muff's the way to go.
Quote by Chex
You're on fire

Quit mixing my words around you know what I meant.

Oh well you win whatever i'm out.

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Quit mixing my words around you know what I meant.

Oh well you win whatever i'm out.

I'm kidding I know what you mean I'm just being an asshole
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

Don't like the metal muff
Too trebly, not enough gain, its pretty thin. I bought mine on ebay... then sold it on ebay again for a $10 loss. Not too bad!

It just wasn't metal enough...

And its a MUFF pedal, its more fuzzy than it is distortion
Quote by zeppelinpage4

+1, the DS-1 isn't a good idea for metal. It'll be fairly decent for things like modern rock, grunge, punk etc. but not metal.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by jj1565
MM are ok for the money, but even tho the top boost is pretty much useless, dont bother with the smaller MMs because you need the EQ. it's trash without a good eq.

it really depends on ur amp. there are better pedals for a little more.

the MM is ok, but not a wonder pedal.

And what would those pedals be?
i dont see your amp. what do you play through?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

I love mine, and find the top boost to very usable (in a band setting, which is what it's there for), this of course depends a lot on your guitar and how your amp is voiced and EQed.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by jj1565
i dont see your amp. what do you play through?

I play through a Line 6 Spider III. How does the type of amp effect the sound?
if you have a spider 3 don't bother, it doesn't take pedals well at all. Get a better amp, then worry about pedals.

And how the amp is voiced and Eqed effects how the pedals will sound the same way it effects how your guitar will sound.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
it has everything to do with it.

i never played the newest spiders, but in general im not a fan.

putting that aside. most modeling amps dont handle pedals well. my cousin's cube 30 is a pretty good intermediate amp, trying to add any pedals in front of it has proved pretty useless. everything gets muddy.

let me give you an example, different amps, same pedal.
ive got an old marshall (m)g50. the metal muff thru the the mg, even on the clean setting, sounds like crap.
the MM through my 5W tube amp sounds ok, a little dark, a little muddy. through my Blues junior was usable, but very high end, nu-metal.
the same pedal thru my 30W tube amp sounds pretty good. i can work with the EQ and dial in some nice tones. still not a fan of the top boost, kid

since you asked for an alternative, i think i would have been better off with a jekyl and hyde. i didnt go for it because i already had an OD, but the mix of od and distortion really sings compared to my MM.

not sure what you should do tho. if at all possible, go to a store and try these pedals thru a spider.
if you are not getting the tones you want out of this amp, you might want to consider that this might not have been the best amp for you.

anyway good luck

edit: i guess it took me a while to post. so ^^
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62