So, was wonderin' what everyone uses and likes/dislikes for strings. Flats, Rounds, Coated, just looking for opinions, stories.
I like DR and D'addario strings. But am trying Rotosounds right now and after that set am trying SIT's. I play rock, hard rock, metal and blues. want to start learning funk and motown.
"If I was any cooler I'd be froze">>>Me

Epiphone Les Paul Custom,
Yamaha: FG-405
Yamaha: FX370C TBS
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz & Fretless Jazz
Vox AD30VT
Traynor DynaBass 200T
Hohner Button Accordian
Digitech RP350
I have used Rotosound which are great strings.
Currently i'm using Dadario EXL220 strings except for my E string which is a different brand cause i broke it.

I probably will go back to rotosound when i get new strings. Not that the dadario are bad the roto's are better to my opinion. These are the only two brands i have used so far.
The are round nikkel strings with a 'bright' tone.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
I swear by Roto. I truly think they're the best out there. I've tried Ernie Ball, GHS, DR, D'Addario, Fender and Rotosounds and the Rotosounds are just so god damn superior. Round steels all the way.
I am REALLY loving DR Sunbeams (nickel) at the moment. I really like the extra mass to them, without having to go to a higher gauge. Their stability is remarkable. I read somewhere that they were playable straight after putting them on. After being skeptical of this statement, I have to say they were. Had to do very little in terms of having to "break them in".

In terms of tone, I discovered I could coax a growly tone from my Jazz which I never heard before from it.

They are pricey... but someone showed me an eBay seller in America who sells them at effectively 2 for the price of 1 over here in the UK. Hopefully I'll receive them soon and pop them on the rest of my gigging basses.
What does everyone run for gauge??
"If I was any cooler I'd be froze">>>Me

Epiphone Les Paul Custom,
Yamaha: FG-405
Yamaha: FX370C TBS
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz & Fretless Jazz
Vox AD30VT
Traynor DynaBass 200T
Hohner Button Accordian
Digitech RP350
Gauges 40-60-75-95.

D'Addario EXL220 XL Super Light Bright Electric Bass Strings
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
I have used EBs (supers and hybrids) in the past, but switched over to Rotos.

For my fretted basses I use Roto 66s 35-55-70-90. I like the lighter gauge, and I don't downtune that often to really use a heavier gauge.

On the fretless, I am currently using the Rotosound Jazz Bass 77s. (45,65,85.105). They are bright enough to work with the overall sound of the EBMM FL without being too harsh for playing Jazz.
I've got a set of rotos on my jazz, and a set of warwick strings on my shecter. The rotos are the 105-45 gauge. I can't remember what type of string the warwicks are; all I know is that they are stainless steel like the rotos. Personally, I think the rotosounds are the best strings out there that I've tried so far, but I'm liking the warwicks more and more.

Quote by anarkee
For my fretted basses I use Roto 66s 35-55-70-90. I like the lighter gauge, and I don't downtune that often to really use a heavier gauge.

I don't see how you can use such light strings. I had a set of roto "funkmasters" (I think the gauges were 90-70-50-30) on my shecter at one point and I couldn't stand them. I think it was the loose string tension that bothered me. They did sound good, though.
Just remember...

"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Quote by Crashman77
What does everyone run for gauge??

I go for 45-100. Used to use 45-105, but I liked the lighter gauges for the bottom strings as they need less pressure to be exerted on them.
Rotosound 33's, running 45-105. Absolutely LOVE them- they give the bright tone I love, last a long time for me, and even when I tried I couldn't get a bad sound out of them. A not-so-good was the worst I got. I liked them enough that when I sold my old bass to my friend, I bought a set of those for her, and now she loves them.
I've got D'Addario Chromes (45-105) and they sound great. I've never played Rotosounds, so i can't compare the two, but flatwound is the way to go in my opinion. I play Blues/Rock in my band and they get a decent tone for it. I play a little funk and jazz on the side, and they do great.
erm i kno this aint about string gauge but i thort id ask here rather than makin a new thread

iv had the original strings on my bass for about a year an couple of months lol

they seem fine but i was just wondering if i should have changed them by now ? or watever lol
Quote by li-ham-sandwich
erm i kno this aint about string gauge but i thort id ask here rather than makin a new thread

iv had the original strings on my bass for about a year an couple of months lol

they seem fine but i was just wondering if i should have changed them by now ? or watever lol

Usually, people change the strings because of how bad they sound, but if you like the way they sound now, you don't have to change them. I would, though, because that's really old for strings. I also love the sound of fresh strings; they're so bright and lively-sounding.
Just remember...

"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

bass strings=Rotosound > all the rest.
i'm currently using a fresh set of Swingbass 66 steels, 45 - 105. they sound great! i've been using Roto nickels, and like them very much, too. when i shop for bass strings i don't ask myself which brand. i ask myself, which style of Roto's do i want, this time.
www.rotosound.com < sound samples included.
Elixirs all the way. I only have to change them every two years, with no difference in tone at all. They're also super smooth and soft on my fingers. I will never use any other bass strings.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
Elixirs all the way. I only have to change them every two years, with no difference in tone at all. They're also super smooth and soft on my fingers. I will never use any other bass strings.

hey scotty, "every two years"? i'm thinking you must not play bass much. Elixers are my favorite guitar strings, but no bass string will last two years unless, you like that "dead" sound. with all due respect. i'm thinking your primarily a guitar player.
Well my BC Rich Platinum Warlock (Hey, I love B.C Rich) is getting a change soon, I'm getting Some Rotosound Flats probably Steve Harris SH77, unless anyone reccomends better flats for metal (?)

The Warlocks currently sporting a set of mellowed out Ernie Ball Power Slinkys, great exercise for my fingers, but the band and I are really changing our sound.

And my Schecter sporting the stock strings lol.
My basses are all strung with roundwounds: my ATK has heavy d'Addarios and is tuned to D, my 5er has light Rotos and is tuned to C, my AGB is tuned to E and has medium d'Addarios and my P copy is tuned to Eb and has medium Rotos.
i love the rotosound strings as i pickup up a set a couple of months ago. Like any steel stings, they do wear out your frets quicker than nickel strings.
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
If you haven't tried DR's at all, I'll just let you know...

DR > All other readily available Bass Strings

I've just ordered 2 sets (I'm still using the stock Strings on my SR506 - Which are Elixirs of some description) - The new Fat-Beams [0.130 -.030's] & a set of Low-Riders [0.130 - .030's].

Anyone else that has a 5-er/6-er : Have you tried the sets with the slightly heavier Low B?? (like the .130 opposed to the .125), especially if you have a 34" Scale?? Does it balance out the floppy-ness?

Thanks
I use .40-.95 Rotosound Swing 66 strings.
They're great, but I am considering to get some halfwound rotosounds next time.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
+1000 for the DR's.
I've got Lo-Rider 45-100 on me P-plus, gonna stick some heavies on the BCR when I get the drop-tune setup finalised. Tho I dug out an old set of light gauge Roto groundwounds to try on the Rick copy, and they're funkalicious even despite their dull grey colour...lol

Buying DR's in the UK us a pain in the neck - I gets mine from the US . They're cheaper than any supplier here, actually have them in stock (ahem...stringbusters...), and it's one in the eye for the system. Or something.
Viva la revolucion, comrade (as long as Royal Mail doesn't fux up again)
The sorry tale's in my blogs if you can be bothered... ::type
i use daddario strings
but i am going to try fenders soon
or maybe EB but most likely fenders
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
i currently use rotosound swingbass 66's 45 - 105 but i find them too floppy so i'm moving up a gauge next time i need new strings, failing that are there any steel strings stiffer than roto 66's?
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Sig...
EQUIPMENT:
Squire P-bass - d'addario EXL230
Fender rumble 15
Epiphone Thunder Bird Reverse IV - Ernie ball super slinky
Vibe V-40b
Jerzey Acoustic bass - d'addario EXL190
KORG AX10B Bass Modeling signal Processor
Russian Big Muff